PDA

View Full Version : How to Carry Money?

pod319
04-19-2010, 07:51
How do you all carry money on the Trail? All cash, travelers checks, credit card?

10-K
04-19-2010, 08:01
I carry 5 rolls of quarters 3 rolls of dimes, 9 rolls of nickels and a handful of pennies.... :)

Seriously though.. depends on the hike. Some of my section hikes I don't carry any money because I'm not going to need any.

Longer hikes I carry a few hundred $$$, making sure to have five or six $1 bills in a baggie with a credit card, ATM card, insurance card and DL....

On an upcoming hike I'm going to stash a few $20 bills in a separate place in case (God forbid..) I become separated from my baggie.

Shiraz-mataz
04-19-2010, 08:15
I do short sections (~30 miles) and carry the following in a Ziploc Snack-Size baggie: one $20 bill, Driver's License, Insurance Card, Credit Card. Who needs more than that?

TheCheek
04-19-2010, 08:45
I do short sections (~30 miles) and carry the following in a Ziploc Snack-Size baggie: one $20 bill, Driver's License, Insurance Card, Credit Card. Who needs more than that?

I would have said "this." but my message was too short.
This.

Spokes
04-19-2010, 08:55
I split my cash and credit cards in two 2 ziplock bags- one within easy reach and the other somewhere deep inside my pack. That way if one happens to get lost or stolen I'll at least have the other as a back-up.

garlic08
04-19-2010, 09:19
...Longer hikes I carry a few hundred $$$, making sure to have five or six $1 bills in a baggie with a credit card, ATM card, insurance card and DL....

On an upcoming hike I'm going to stash a few $20 bills in a separate place in case (God forbid..) I become separated from my baggie.

This is exactly what I do. Never leave your baggie behind.

white_russian
04-19-2010, 09:58
The wallet always stays with me, in my sleeping bag at night, down to a spring, everywhere. I usually carry about a hundred bucks in cash but mainly use credit cards so I don't have to find ATMs or try to find a place that does cash back on debit.

Doctari
04-19-2010, 10:31
RE- Form of money:
I used to say "Travelers checks" but after my last AT hike where I had to teach about 90% of the clerks & etc how to use them & what they were, I'll never carry them again. The motel in Atkins flatly refused to accept them. I now carry a pre-paid Credit card from Green dot.

Re- Where carried:
The CC & my ID goes in my camera pouch & that always goes with me as a pocket for my kilt, even to "Just get water". Depending on what cash I'm carrying: Large amounts go in a zip lock in the bottom of my pack, the small stuff in a ziplock in a pocket on my hip belt.

Appalachian Tater
04-19-2010, 11:23
Cash, credit card, and ATM card.

The problem with a debit card is you're not protected against losses like you are with a credit card. If that's what you have, be extra careful with it. Not only can someone clean out your account blance but also any overdraft protection or line of credit associated with the account.

Traveler's checks aren't worth the hassle and personal checks aren't very helpful in a small town when you're a stranger and look like a bum.

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2010, 11:29
I carry 5 rolls of quarters 3 rolls of dimes, 9 rolls of nickels and a handful of pennies.... :)

Seriously though.. depends on the hike. Some of my section hikes I don't carry any money because I'm not going to need any.

Longer hikes I carry a few hundred $$$, making sure to have five or six $1 bills in a baggie with a credit card, ATM card, insurance card and DL....

You will need the change....

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/entry.jpg

1azarus
04-19-2010, 14:00
...i'd just add that a zippered pants pocket is an awfully good place for that ziploc.

sherrill
04-19-2010, 15:17
Just give it to me. I'll be glad to carry for you....:D

kayak karl
04-19-2010, 17:11
i made a duct tape wallet and put it on cotton covered twain and ware it around my neck. i would forget i even had it. showered with it a few times. i tend to lose stuff :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2163/2987095575_f1dd23cca4_b.jpg

sbhikes
04-19-2010, 19:27
I carried a big wad of cash in one of those secret wallet things. It had loops that went around my belt and hung down inside my pants. It wasn't so much I needed to keep it safe from pick-pockets. I just didn't want to lose it or have to rummage around in my pack. I carried a big wad of cash because it cost me money to use the ATM. The more withdrawls the more it cost. I avoid credit cards whenever possible.

Windcatcher
04-19-2010, 19:29
Some cash - amount depends on length of hike, debit card, credit card....funds & identification info stay with me 100% of the time.

.....and as is my usual habit even when not hiking, a couple of c-notes folded up and stashed away strictly for emergency situations. Haven't touched that stash in several years, but I know it's there.

Erin
04-20-2010, 00:11
Cash and credit/debit card in a light cloth wallet (week long) or small zip lock baggie(weekend) in my zipper pack pocket with my driver's licence, proof of insurance and health insurance card.
Love that duct tape wallet though!!!!!!

Panzer1
04-20-2010, 01:16
I like to carry my cash, credit cards and ID in a regular wallet.

When I go into stores to buy things I feel strange when I get to the cashier and pull out a zip lock baggie full of money, that's why I carry a regular wallet.

Panzer

4Bears
04-20-2010, 06:11
I carry one of those cheap nylon wallets with some cash, credit/debit card and I.D. The amount depends on the length of the hike and availability of stores but generally my stash always includes a few ones and a dollars worth of change for that phantom pop machine.

Roland
04-20-2010, 06:14
I don't worry about what to do with my money. My wife has always taken care of that. ;)

Don H
04-20-2010, 06:25
I use a fishing license holder that has a ziplock closure and a hole for a string. A length of string keeps it tied to my belt loop so it won't get lost. I keep my driver's license, cash and a credit card in it.

10-K
04-20-2010, 19:22
I carry one of those cheap nylon wallets with some cash, credit/debit card and I.D. The amount depends on the length of the hike and availability of stores but generally my stash always includes a few ones and a dollars worth of change for that phantom pop machine.

you mean the machines that never work? :)