PDA

View Full Version : acclimating a dog to a pack

mark schofield
04-19-2010, 11:46
I've been walking with my dog and her new RuffWare approach pack. After reading all the threads about fitting, I'm confident that the straps are adjusted properly and that the pack is sized properly. A 65 # stocky boxer/sharpei mix with the medium pack. Likes the woods, ponds, people , other dogs. When I put the pack on she slows down to a walk. Her tail is up and her behavior is the same with other people or dogs, but rather than running ahead, she often goes slow enough that I have to stop and wait for her to catch up. Kind of like waiting for a kid to eat his veggies. I tried a Granite Gear pack before with the same results. There's no weight in the pack. She just doesn't seem to be into it. Happy but slows down with the pack on. Any suggestions? TIA. Mark S.

Nean
04-19-2010, 13:04
I gotta dog kinda like that, only it slows her down to the right speed- not too slow. Try giving her a treat with the pack going on.:)

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2010, 13:04
That's a new one.

Wise Old Owl
04-21-2010, 18:50
OK I gave it some thought, take the pack off... go for some nearby woods /walks with a walking stick push the dog forward down the trail and say "go" or "up" when the dog goes out in front of you and stays there reward the dog with a treat... repeat for a couple of weeks then put the pack on and give the go command and reward again for staying up front.

Dirty Nails
04-28-2010, 23:48
I had something like that with my dog. With a light load she's fine and trots along normally as if she's unaware of the pack. Or at least she certainly doesn't mind it.
I find if the weight reaches a certain threshhold, the sides of the pack will begin to bounce outward and back when she trots. The sides will actually bounce against her ribs with the rhythm of her gait, causing her to walk slowly. Incidentally, a trot is the most efficient gait for a dog, and the dog's sides (ribs/flanks) are pretty sensitive. Your dog must be able to trot or it will tire easily and likely get sore joints and muscles.
That pack has small straps on the underside of the pockets. You can secure the pockets by ensuring the belly strap runs through these small straps or loops. This may help to reduce bounce.
The pack may be annoying her elbows, shoulders or some other area when she moves. On my dog, that pack hangs too low because the pockets are too big.
That the pack is empty and still slowing her suprises me. I would continue to walk her/him with it empty to see if she will desensitize to it. Walk every day in it for a week or so. Make sure it is not too loose or too tight. If too tight, the straps may be annoying her belly or ribs. remember her chest must be able to expand when she pants. If too loose, it will flop or bounce. And it should ride pretty far forward, toward the shoulders, not over the back, not like a horse saddle.
Keep in mind its a short coated breed and it will feel it more than, say a Husky. It may even be just pulling her skin.
And make sure she has no medical issue like spinal problems, or skin lessions or tumors. I think Boxers are noted for that. Consider speaking to a vet.
I have 3 packs. My dog is most comfortable in her Kelty Chuckwagon. It's much lighter than the others and well steamlined. She's older now so I don't load her too heavily. I like it best, but it can slide to one side because it doesn't have the full harness like the Ruffwear. And it's no good for lifting the dog up ladders and such.
There seams to be no pack that is just right. Just keep experimenting.
Good luck.

Jester2000
04-29-2010, 02:56
I'd like to note that I, like your dog, slow down when I have a pack on. I rarely run.

When are you putting the pack on your dog? Only when going for a hike? It might be a good idea to put it on more often, so your dog gets used to it, with a treat when you put it on.

I know if someone gave me a treat every time I put my pack on, I'd be way more into it.

NomadandKatahdin
04-29-2010, 03:06
When I hiked in 1992, I found a dog on the trail, bought a pack and started walking. No better training than 10 hour days. However with that said...my border collie gets real timid when put a pack on her. It took me over a year to get her to understand that the pack meant we were having a good time. I finally pulled out the tennis ball and carried it with me for a few hikes and she seemed fine...every 10 or 15 minutes I would toss the ball....I still carry the ball but she only plays with it at camp.

mark schofield
05-15-2010, 11:46
about a month later and the dog seems to have gotten use to the pack. not so mopey as the first week or so. thanks for the replies. Mark S.