PDA

View Full Version : YOYO suggestions

The Unknown Hiker
04-19-2010, 14:28
Are there any successful YOYO hikers out there?

I am starting a YOYO in July from Katahdin. I've completed two SOBOs before (both starting in July) and one NOBO.

Can anyone give any specific suggestions on how to accomplish a YOYO? (Nothing like "don't try"; or "get your head examined"). There may not be anything worth noting - but thought I'd ask.

I know that back in 2008 I met a hiker at Fontana Dam who said he was finishing a YOYO (I think he was being honest). He was so mentally worn out that he talked to just quitting right there - with only ten or so days to go. I never found out what his choice was.

A-Train
04-19-2010, 14:40
Go for it!

I suppose going south first would be smart as you avoid the back to back New England sections which could really wear one out. I guess you are planning to hike thru the winter, returning to New England in Spring?

If it were me, it'd start Springer around 3/1 hike to Katahdin by mid-july and head back south by Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Pete Moss
04-19-2010, 14:46
Trust Me was a guy I hiked with for a while in '08 who was yo yo ing. He finished super strong.

CrumbSnatcher
04-19-2010, 19:21
--------------------------------

Mags
04-19-2010, 19:30
A yo-yo of the AT is a wonderful way to see this wonderful trail.

But, it will be five times on the AT.

I am honestly curious..why the AT fives times?

There is so much to see, so much to do, so much to explore. I LOVED my time on the AT. It is, for better or worse, directly responsible for the life I have now.

But, I wanted to see the Rockies, explore the Utah canyons, walk along what John Muir called the "Range of Light", perhaps see some of the southern Appalachians a bit more off the beaten path.

To quote those sage philosophers of Calvin and Hobbes:

http://www.synthstuff.com/mt/archives/ch951231.gif

stranger
04-27-2010, 23:38
I think the most obvious thing for me would be the weather, leaving Katahdin in July puts you turning around anywhere from October to November, possibly later, so your heading the the Smokies, Roan and Grayson Highlands in some cold weather. Then there is the darkness, it will be getting dark at 5pm.

CrumbSnatcher
04-28-2010, 07:43
i plan on a yo-yo someday, maybe even next year? but i personally won't start in maine, i will go GA-ME-GA. that would be easier weather wise also! i love ME,NH and all, but my favorite sections are down south where i would finish VA,NC,TN,GA. THE BALDS AND THE HIGHLANDS and such. and the prices are cheaper down south, so near the end of my hike when my funds are low, it would work out better:)

The Unknown Hiker
05-24-2010, 12:03
But, it will be five times on the AT.

I am honestly curious..why the AT fives times?

Why having hiked the AT three times (the YOYO doesn't count until completed)?

I guess because the AT "was there" for me in 2003 after a bad breakup- the AT helped me get the pieces back together.

And in 2005 I tried a NOBO and just didn't have the heart to go further than Erwin (spent three weeks at Miss Janet's and that did me in for hiking further).

So in 2006 I did the second SOBO to "make up" for the failed 2005 hike (just my personal reasons - doesn't have to make sense).

Finally, in 2008, I was tired of having been told over the years that the only "right way" to hike the AT was NOBO. So I completed a NOBO then.

I'm sure the PCT or the CDT would provide great experiences - and different experiences. But the AT was "there" when I really needed it (does that make sense?) and it feels like a true second home.

I will do a 2010 SOBO (once again) starting in July. But as far as a YOYO - I think I just have to see how things go and take it one step at a time. But I do know I want to start and finish at Katahdin if I am able to do it.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

RGB
05-24-2010, 12:15
Why having hiked the AT three times (the YOYO doesn't count until completed)?

I guess because the AT "was there" for me in 2003 after a bad breakup- the AT helped me get the pieces back together.

And in 2005 I tried a NOBO and just didn't have the heart to go further than Erwin (spent three weeks at Miss Janet's and that did me in for hiking further).

So in 2006 I did the second SOBO to "make up" for the failed 2005 hike (just my personal reasons - doesn't have to make sense).

Finally, in 2008, I was tired of having been told over the years that the only "right way" to hike the AT was NOBO. So I completed a NOBO then.

I'm sure the PCT or the CDT would provide great experiences - and different experiences. But the AT was "there" when I really needed it (does that make sense?) and it feels like a true second home.

I will do a 2010 SOBO (once again) starting in July. But as far as a YOYO - I think I just have to see how things go and take it one step at a time. But I do know I want to start and finish at Katahdin if I am able to do it.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

I say if you want to do something, do it. Don't let people tell you how to hike. Note that a good percentage of comments from the peanut gallery here on WB come from people who haven't hiked in months or years, and just like to hear themselves talk (see themselves type?). I believe my signature offers a good comment on your situation.

Dogwood
05-24-2010, 14:22
I think it is GREAT you want to yo-yo the AT! I appreciate you sharing your connection with the AT and how much it has meant to you. That should be obvious in that you have already thru-hiked it 3 times.

I'm not going to tell someone how I think they should hike, unless they ask, but I will ask you, "how do you think you should hike. How are you planning for the completion of a yo-yo?"

I have never done a long distance yo-yo, but I can give you a suggestion on accomplishing one. Plan for it! Virtually all of those who I've met who have yo-yo ed long distance trails, set speed records, thru-hiked more than than one long distance trail in one calendar yr, or hiked amazingly long loops or treks had all done significant planning before embarking on their journeys. I say this because I'm success minded. I want to not only experience success in my own life, this includes my hiking endeavors, but want too witness others having success in their endeavors as well. Even though I am a rather flexible, adaptable, spontaneous, and resourceful person myself, to me, you put yourself in the best possible position for success when you plan for it, you prepare for it, you set yourself up for success.

I also say this for another reason. In 2006 when I got near to completing my AT NOBO thru-hike I really wanted/desired to do a yo-yo, and, not just as a passing thought or desire. I really wanted to do a yo-yo. I was prepared to head back south. The will, determination, body and mind, and resources were ready. My preparation lacked though. Because I hadn't planned for a yo yo from the beginning I could not see heading back south to Mt Springer without taking major time off the trail during winter because of inclement weather.

Assuming you leave Katahdin in July and you take 3 months to get to Springer that means you will start a NOBO to Katahdin sometime in October. How do you plan on negotiationg the very real possibilities of inclement weather in New England in late Fall and Winter? Do you hike exceptionally fast? Have you ever done a FAST hike? Do you know how the experience of doing a FAST hike may be very different FOR YOU than when doing a moderately/casually paced hike? What if you get caught in a snow storm? Are you prepared for winter hiking? Are you planning on waiting out long periods off the trail waiting for acceptable hiking conditions to return? Do you understand how hiking in snow/postholing in snow day after day effects a hike? Have you ever navigated in winter conditions/whiteout conditions? Are you proficient with a compass? Do you own snowshoes/skis? Do you think your odds are very high that you will be able to summit Mt Katahdin on the return leg of your trip in Nov/Dec/Jan?

Mags
05-24-2010, 14:33
I say if you want to do something, do it. Don't let people tell you how to hike. Note that a good percentage of comments from the peanut gallery here on WB come from people who haven't hiked in months or years, a

Not sure if I am part of the peanut gallery or not (Does it count being part of the gallery if you have yet to hike a trail at all? ;) ), but I am honestly curious and wasn't judging.

I am biased because I have done many different trails (other than the long trail twice), can't see the allure for me to doing the same linear corridor again again. (Note, the for me part) . I also tend to spend a lot of time outdoors period because I like variety and can't just hike for a few months every couple of years.

It is OK to have difference of opinion. Hell, it great! As long as the tone is respectful (Which I think it was).

Good luck Jaws..I hope your journey is a wonderful one! (p.s try the BMT on one leg on your trip instead of the AT portion...you'll love it!)

The Unknown Hiker
05-24-2010, 15:11
Assuming you leave Katahdin in July and you take 3 months to get to Springer that means you will start a NOBO to Katahdin sometime in October. How do you plan on negotiationg the very real possibilities of inclement weather in New England in late Fall and Winter?

I must have given the wrong impression - I will start SOBO in July - but I most definitely will NOT finish in three months. I will take the full six months and finish (weather in Smokey's permitting) in December. I've never planned on a thru-hike in less than 5 months. That pace works for me.

I would then start NOBO portion around 1/1 - which is about the same time I did my prior NOBO. The big issue in the past was ice between NOC and through Smokeys - especially on the non-sun side.

All the planning in the world can make a world of difference - but when you get down to it, the events around you often shape what happens. At least that has been my experience.

I'm old enough to realize there are things that you have to just accept and you have little control over. At the end of every single day, regardless of the weather, exertions, etc., I'm greatful for another day on the Trail. Probably sounds ridiculous to many - just how I feel.

Dogwood
05-24-2010, 16:48
So, I'm gathering that you plan on reaching Springer in Dec after about 5 months of hiking SOBO. Then, on or about 1/1/2011 start hiking back north to Mt Katahdin? And, you successfully got to Mt Katahdin and summitted before going NOBO starting at around that time? Did you not ever encounter winter on that hike? Enlighten me!

At the hiking pace you described going SOBO(5 months?), and assuming you will hike at or near the same pace going NOBO, you will need to hike up most of the eastern seaboard through New England over the Appalacian Mt chain through winter and into spring. And, do you think that gives you the best shot at completing a successful yo-yo? Being successful is one of the goals here, is it not? Or, are we just chatting on WB?

All the planning in the world can make a world of difference - but when you get down to it, the events around you often shape what happens. At least that has been my experience....

While that can be true there is another way of looking at things. With the proper knowledge and planning we can shape how we experience those events. That knowledge and planning may be vitally important, critical, or deciding factors in getting through those events when they occur and attaining our goals. It is not the trial or tribulation that ultimately determines our destiny but how we react(move forward) when encountering those trials and tribulations(events). Knowledge and planning can help you prepare for those events.

I'm old enough to realize there are things that you have to just accept and you have little control over....

Ok, I can buy into that too, but now, how do you accept and move forward to actually accomplishing the goal of completing a yo-yo when in the middle of the returm leg of a yo yo hike when winter conditions in New England along the crest of the Appalacians set in? I'm asking, "how are you planning to accomplish a yo-yo through snowy winter hiking conditions?" Do you have a plan on how you are going to address this?

I assume that Joe Montana who won the super bowl and was named MVP, more than once, or Lance Armstrong who won 7 Tour De France cyling championships, or anyone else who has acheived stunning levels of success in thier lives didn't do it just by thinking, "I just have to accept all these external and uncontrollable events or I just have to allow all these events to dictate what happens to me." They didn't stop there. They moved forward from there. They planned for their success. They put in the work. They worked to gain success! Yes, I'm sure they knew unknown events were going to occur, but they also planned for the events they knew would likely occur!
All the planning in the world can make a world of difference - but when you get down to it, the events around you often shape what happens. At least that has been my experience.

I'm old enough to realize there are things that you have to just accept and you have little control over. At the end of every single day, regardless of the weather, exertions, etc., I'm greatful for another day on the Trail. Probably sounds ridiculous to many - just how I feel.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/report.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/report.php?p=1016110)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/report.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/report.php?p=1016110) All the planning in the world can make a world of difference - but when you get down to it, the events around you often shape what happens. At least that has been my experience.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/report.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/report.php?p=1016110) All the planning in the world can make a world of difference - but when you get down to it, the events around you often shape what happens. At least that has been my experience.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/report.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/report.php?p=1016110)

I'm just asking. I wish you the best.

Dogwood
05-24-2010, 16:52
Sorry about all those repeated quotes. Didn't mean to include those in my post.

The Unknown Hiker
05-24-2010, 20:52
So, I'm gathering that you plan on reaching Springer in Dec after about 5 months of hiking SOBO. Then, on or about 1/1/2011 start hiking back north to Mt Katahdin? And, you successfully got to Mt Katahdin and summitted before going NOBO starting at around that time? Did you not ever encounter winter on that hike? Enlighten me!

The yoyo would start and end at Katahdin - both during July. The SOBO part ends at Springer in December (that's based on others and my past experience). The NOBO from Springer starts in January - many NOBOs start then and I have done so before. There is no winter hiking up north that you go through. Instead, you would hike to Springer during fall/summer months.

Planning is over-rated. You may plan all the enjoyment out of a thru-hike. All that is needed is to read "A Walk in the Woods" and wing it from there. Just don't get off the trail before you finish!

Dogwood
05-25-2010, 01:34
Ok. I suppose you got it figured out Jaws2006/Unknown Hiker/??? You said you completed a thru-hike before going NOBO starting in Dec at Springer.

I thought it could snow in NC, TN, VA, WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, VT in winter and early spring on the AT? Maybe, I'm wrong in overestimating that possibility?

Many NOBOs start at Springer in Jan? on Jan 1? I didn't know that. I would like to see where you get those statistics.

Let us know how you make out. I would be entertained in hearing about your yo yo.

The Solemates
05-25-2010, 09:35
I thought it could snow in NC, TN, VA, WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, VT in winter and early spring on the AT. Maybe, I'm wrong in overestimating that possibility?

I think so. I would only expect snow through VA, even with a 1 Jan start. Although it did flurry in PA this year in early May.

Many NOBOs start at Springer in Jan? on Jan 1? I didn't know that. I would like to see where you get those statistics.

Maybe not many, but there are more than a handful every year.

RGB
05-25-2010, 14:06
Not sure if I am part of the peanut gallery or not (Does it count being part of the gallery if you have yet to hike a trail at all? ;) ), but I am honestly curious and wasn't judging.

I am biased because I have done many different trails (other than the long trail twice), can't see the allure for me to doing the same linear corridor again again. (Note, the for me part) . I also tend to spend a lot of time outdoors period because I like variety and can't just hike for a few months every couple of years.

It is OK to have difference of opinion. Hell, it great! As long as the tone is respectful (Which I think it was).

Good luck Jaws..I hope your journey is a wonderful one! (p.s try the BMT on one leg on your trip instead of the AT portion...you'll love it!)

Haha, no that wasn't directed at any single person.

the goat
05-25-2010, 15:37
Ok. I suppose you got it figured out Jaws2006/Unknown Hiker/??? You said you completed a thru-hike before going NOBO starting in Dec at Springer.

I thought it could snow in NC, TN, VA, WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, VT in winter and early spring on the AT? Maybe, I'm wrong in overestimating that possibility?

Let us know how you make out. I would be entertained in hearing about your yo yo.

why do you seem to be digging for an argument where none exists?

the OP's proposed plan is very logical.

no one has said it won't snow on the trail during that time-frame.
(as a 2 time sobo, i'm sure the OP is already well-aquainted with this fact.)

lots of folks have completed thrus starting jan. 1

Dogwood
05-25-2010, 22:04
I was being confrontational and certainly opionated about what I assumed a thru-hiker starting in Springer on Jan 1 and going NOBO to Maine would likely encounter because of the weather. Maybe, I'm wrong about some things. Correct me if my assumptions are wrong! I am ignorant about starting that early and heading NOBO on the AT. I don't know. I was seeking some pointed answers to the questions I posed or at least a greater response about what I assumed. Seemed like the points and questions I brought up were largely being ignored. I was not trying to be sarcastic when I said "enighten me." I was not seeking an argument. I was seeking to understand how one might deal with the winter and early spring weather heading north from Springer beginning on Jan 1. As I said, maybe, I over estimated the possible severity of the weather that would/could be encountered.

Obviously, I'm a hiker who plans for my hikes. That works best for me. Someone else might do just fine another way as in with no or little planning. I am asking, "how does one going NOBO through winter handle the aspects of hiking through winter on the AT?" Is weather not really that big of a deal as I assumed it likely would be? Are there any other conditions that someone starting that early should be made aware of?

The Unknown Hiker
05-28-2010, 13:31
I was being confrontational and certainly opionated about what I assumed a thru-hiker starting in Springer on Jan 1 and going NOBO to Maine would likely encounter because of the weather. Maybe, I'm wrong about some things. Correct me if my assumptions are wrong! I am ignorant about starting that early and heading NOBO on the AT. I don't know. I was seeking some pointed answers to the questions I posed or at least a greater response about what I assumed. Seemed like the points and questions I brought up were largely being ignored. I was not trying to be sarcastic when I said "enighten me." I was not seeking an argument. I was seeking to understand how one might deal with the winter and early spring weather heading north from Springer beginning on Jan 1. As I said, maybe, I over estimated the possible severity of the weather that would/could be encountered.

Obviously, I'm a hiker who plans for my hikes. That works best for me. Someone else might do just fine another way as in with no or little planning. I am asking, "how does one going NOBO through winter handle the aspects of hiking through winter on the AT?" Is weather not really that big of a deal as I assumed it likely would be? Are there any other conditions that someone starting that early should be made aware of?

You should indeed challenge what you read here. There can be a lot if mis-information and BS at times.

You did not overestimate the weather (winter; floods; arid & lack of water). Proper planning and the right gear is essential. Most thru-hikers switch out their warm and cold weather gear during their hike.

At times all you can do in bad weather is try to get into a trail town and wait it out.

In all honesty, I plan my ass off before each hike. It takes a lot of time and commitment. It is a real challenge.

Other conditions can involve melting snows on the Whites that floods the Maine trails. Dryed-out streams restricting water availability. Even things like forest fires can cause parts of the trail to be shut down at times.

I would indeed be confrontational (intentionally or not) to get valid and useful info.