PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Rock Loop Ark

Bear Cables
04-19-2010, 17:13
Just got back from backpacking the 26.8 mile Eagle Rock Loop in Ark. Beautiful! The wildflowers were in full bloom. The rivers and creeks were beautiful. The area called Winding Stair was magnificant. Looked prehistoric with caves, towering cliffs and boulders, cascading falls and deep emerald green pools of water. One stretch of the loop on Big Athens Fork Trail has 5 climbs over the mountains and down in 6 miles! Killer! But awesome views. Highly recommend it.

Boot soles fell off of my 13 year old leather hikers on the second day! Had to "McGyver" them to finish the hike. Boot repair man just shook his head and said "no hope" :( BTW I stongly suggest hikers to add zip ties to your equipment.

johnnybgood
04-19-2010, 18:16
Any pics of this hike ? Sounds like a trail of interesting geological features with kick your butt mentality.

I believe Backpacker did a write up on this hike a few years back...looking for the article.

Oklahoma 98
04-19-2010, 21:42
Did it last month. You are right, it is BEAUTIFUl. Going back in June with my boys.

Bear Cables
04-19-2010, 23:30
Sadly no, both my sister and i forgot our cameras. She thought she had packed hers but...no. If you google images of Eagle Rock Loop AR you can see some pic and there is a short youtube video of a campsite in the Winding Stair area, just enter Eagle Rock Loop.

SGT Rock
04-20-2010, 07:23
Winding Staircase is a nice little secret gem of Arkansas.