PDA

View Full Version : Tarp or Tent for GSMNP Section Hike?

bigben
04-19-2010, 19:59
I am doing the section from the NOC to Newfound Gap 5/1-5/7. We plan on staying at the following locations: Sassafras Gap SH, Brown Fork Gap SH, Fontana Hilton, Mollies Ridge SH, Spence Field SH, & Silers Bald SH. Being section hikers, I got us the reservations through GSMNP for the last 3 shelters and plan on sleeping in them. I will probably try to stay in the first 3 as well.

Which brings me to my dilemna: should I bring my tent(MSR Hubba Hubba) or a tarp(10x12 Equinox silnylon + bug net)? When camping, I much prefer a tent to a tarp. But on this hike, I feel that the 2.5 lbs of pack weight difference between the tent and the tarp warrant some thought. If I KNEW I'd be tenting, it would be a no brainer for me. But carrying a 4-5 lb tent I never take out of the stuff sack for 6 nights isn't all that smart either.

1) what would you do? 2) if I go "tarp," how's the tarping at those particular shelter areas? 3)for those who have been on this section during this exact week, what are the odds of the shelters being full(granted, I have official reservations at the Smokies shelters)? 4) how are the skeeters in the Smokies at this time of year, i.e. do I even need the bug net if I go with the tarp?

I'm also considering selling the MSR if I can get a Tarptent in my hands by 4/29.

Thanks,
Bigben

aaronthebugbuffet
04-19-2010, 20:08
Short answer, Tarp

Egads
04-19-2010, 20:31
Tarp cause, its still early in the year before bugs get bad

Johnny Swank
04-19-2010, 21:32
that time of year = tarp. I wouldn't mess with the bug net either.

njordan2
04-19-2010, 21:50
A tent.
With a tarp you get to lay in a mud puddle, but the rain does not hit your face.