PDA

View Full Version : Heading out tomorrow

coheterojo
04-19-2010, 21:11
Well this is it. Tomorrow I'll be dropped off at the base of the Approach trail around noon. I'm going up the 6 million and 2 steps to the Amicalola Lodge where I will spend one last night in coddled comfort, wake to an early wake-up call, eat a big breakfast at the buffet and then ... off I go to Maine.:D

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

10-K
04-19-2010, 21:18
Happy trails!

dmax
04-19-2010, 21:18
Good luck and have fun!!!

Rick500
04-19-2010, 23:33
Have a blast! Be safe.

J-Fro
04-20-2010, 01:06
Carpe Diem.

Spokes
04-20-2010, 08:25
Keep smilin'

sidebackside
04-20-2010, 09:13
Enjoy it!!

hikingshoes
04-20-2010, 09:40
coheterojo,
Its hard to find good friends,but to find a good friend that likes to hike/backpack is a Plus.To my friend I have enjoyed hiking the Palmetto Trail with you and the most funny think about it all was you throwing your food bag in the tree,boy,i wish i had a VIDEO of that!! i hate that im not going to start the AT with you as planned,but due to having to move back to MS.chged all my hiking plans.If i can help in anyway PLS let me know.Peace my friend and good luck.HS
Well this is it. Tomorrow I'll be dropped off at the base of the Approach trail around noon. I'm going up the 6 million and 2 steps to the Amicalola Lodge where I will spend one last night in coddled comfort, wake to an early wake-up call, eat a big breakfast at the buffet and then ... off I go to Maine.:D

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

Bianchi Veloce
04-20-2010, 09:44
From one Sandlapper to another, "Good luck!"

You posting a journal online?

double d
04-20-2010, 09:54
Enjoy each step!

wrongway_08
04-20-2010, 09:57
Have a great time! Wish I was out there with you !!

Enjoy it, it will go by fast !

drdewrag
04-20-2010, 11:40
I hope it goes well! Good luck!

blueglenn
04-24-2010, 09:21
I will be watching your progress. Stay safe and keep your food to yourself. No sharing with bears.

Lyle
04-24-2010, 10:05
I'm Jealous!!!!!

Stay flexible, keep smilin' in the rain, and......

Have a GREAT time.

coheterojo
04-28-2010, 16:14
Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm really rolling along. I'm currently staying at Haven's Budget Inn in Franklin. I planned to start out slow but the miles kept rolling and I still feel fantastic. Maybe even uber-fantastic. So far this is going far better than my wildest dreams.

The weather has been up and down but who cares. I love it rain or shine. Walking with Spring is a most marvelous thing. I'll be at Fontana Dam by Monday.

See you down the trail.

El Flaco

coheterojo
05-02-2010, 16:44
Now at the base of the Smokies waiting on a maildrop tomorrow. I'll be finished with them by Friday.

See you down the trail.

El Flaco

coheterojo
05-09-2010, 11:22
Just arrived in Hot Springs. Might even take a day off. This is day 19 and I haven't taken one yet. Everything is going marvelously well. Blazed thru the Smokies w/o a cloud in the sky. Max Patch was great. Having the time of my life.

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

hikingshoes
05-12-2010, 07:37
Sounds like your doing better than planned!!Id like to see some pics if you can.Its good to hear from you.Hang in there..HS

coheterojo
05-14-2010, 11:47
Just passing thru Erwin. Not going to Trail Days. Looking forward to some quiet days on the trail.

Later,

El Flaco

Praha4
05-14-2010, 21:15
El Flaco,

It's Noboat here in Erwin. Pete and Dejavu are here at the Holiday Inn, they got in today. I had a lot of fun hiking with you and Ryan and our other friends on the trail this spring, sorry I can't continue to Maine this trip, but my hall pass from home has expired, and I need to get back. Sorry didn't get to say goodbye on the trail, heading home tomorrow on the bus. Best of luck on the rest of the trip north, finish it all the way to Maine and let us know how the rest of the hike goes. I'm going to get back up to Erwin this summer and continue north, you and Ryan will be past Harpers Ferry by then. Tell him I said hi and best of luck.

take care good buddy!

Que' lastima!

Noboat

coheterojo
05-21-2010, 15:52
Noboat, sorry you're off the trail. I really enjoyed hiking with you. I just arrived in Damascus, VA today around 10:30 am. I'm planning a zero day tomorrow. Today is day 31 and I've already got 460 miles or so under my ever-tightening belt. Only 1700 and change more to go. Piece of cake!

See you down the trail,

El Flaco

Mountain Wildman
05-21-2010, 16:10
Is there really 6 million and 2 steps?

coheterojo
05-22-2010, 08:25
No. It only seems that way. I think there are 604 steps but the view of the falls made it more than worth the climb.

coheterojo
05-27-2010, 07:01
Now in Rural Retreat, VA passing under I-81. Just spent the night at the swank Relax Inn. I'll be in Pearisburg in about 4 days.

hikingshoes
05-29-2010, 19:31
Moving right along there my friend.Keep up the good work and hangin there!!!!!HS
Now in Rural Retreat, VA passing under I-81. Just spent the night at the swank Relax Inn. I'll be in Pearisburg in about 4 days.

coheterojo
05-31-2010, 21:15
Now in Pearisburg. Burning up the miles in the great state of Virginia. Staying at the luxurious Holiday Motor Lodge. Going to take a zero tomorrow and eat everything in town. 626.8 miles down. Only 1552.7 left. Piece of cake right?

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

hikingshoes
06-01-2010, 15:57
LOL,El Flaco,you could eat everything in town and you'll still be as skinny!!HS
Now in Pearisburg. Burning up the miles in the great state of Virginia. Staying at the luxurious Holiday Motor Lodge. Going to take a zero tomorrow and eat everything in town. 626.8 miles down. Only 1552.7 left. Piece of cake right?

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

coheterojo
06-06-2010, 22:46
Just got in to the Hojo Express at the I-81 interchange in Daleville, VA. Most fantastic day on the trail yesterday scaling the Dragon's Tooth, eating the most amazing meal at the Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba and then climbing to McAfee Knob to watch the sun set. Kinda hard to beat.

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

coheterojo
06-15-2010, 18:58
Arrived in Waynesboro, VA yesterday. Took a zero today. Going into the Shenandoahs tomorrow. I'm overwhelmed by the interest in my journey.

coheterojo
06-23-2010, 13:25
At Bears Den Hostel most of the way thru the famous "roller coaster". Just here to eat lunch and ride out the heat. Tomorrow I'll be in Harpers Ferry, WV. Yeehaa.

Thanks again for all the continuing support. It really means alot to me.

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

coheterojo
06-24-2010, 13:46
Just arrived in Harpers Ferry. Hanging out at the ATC headquarters enjoying the a/c. I'm #462 nobo this year. Just had a chat w/ Baltimore Jack and Crazy Horse. Attroll is probably just a day behind me. Going to take a zero and rest a bit.

coheterojo
07-02-2010, 15:34
Pulled into Duncannon, PA this afternoon. Passed the official halfway mark a couple of days ago.

10-K
07-02-2010, 15:35
Pulled into Duncannon, PA this afternoon. Passed the official halfway mark a couple of days ago.

Be sure to get a burger at the Doyle! I was there last July 4th myself.

coheterojo
07-02-2010, 20:47
I'm staying at the Doyle even as we speak.

coheterojo
07-07-2010, 22:29
Just arrived in Port Clinton, PA. Gonna take a few days off and gain some weight. Should be back on the trail this Saturday.

coheterojo
07-16-2010, 22:31
Got back on the trail last Saturday at noon. I'm now spending the night in the former Mayor of Unionville's house in Unionville, NY. Whadya think of them apples? That's right. Seven states down. Seven to go.(Still got a little of NJ to finish).

See ya down the trail. Or not.

El Flaco

hikingshoes
07-17-2010, 15:52
EL Flaco,
just got back online and i see your moving right along!!Good to see your doing well.Hang in there brother!!!!

coheterojo
07-24-2010, 12:38
Just came in to Kent, Connecticut to run some errands. Too darn expensive to stay in this town but it is very nice all the same. Nine states down and only five more to go! 1456.7 miles walked with only another 722.4 to go what could possibly go wrong?

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

Praha4
07-24-2010, 18:55
hey El Flaco,

you and your compadres are doing great, and in this summer heat, its all the better. I'll be Kent, CT has got nothing on GATLINBURG, our favorite trail town!! LOL

I'm flying up to do the Long Trail E2E hike in mid August. I'll be at the Inn on the Long Trail around last week of August, you guys will be into NH or Maine by then. Looking forward to a glimpse of the AT in new england.

good luck on finishing your thru this year, hope to see you on the trail again!

noboat

coheterojo
07-31-2010, 09:32
Arrived here in Dalton, Mass yesterday afternoon. Going to spend a day with my cousin Doug and his wife driving around hopefully drinking large quantities of chocolate malteds. Mass. is my home state but I haven't lived here for 43 years. It was kinda cool to walk back to it from GA.

Noboat it's good to hear from you. At least you'll be in the same geographical region as us in August! Take care.

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

coheterojo
08-11-2010, 19:59
Just arrived in Hanover, NH. Planning on a zero tomorrow to get rested up a little before tackling the Whites. 12 states down and only 2 to go. Who woulda figured?

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

hikingshoes
08-13-2010, 23:20
El Flaco,
How is the gear holding up?Glad to see your moving right along,so is it as bad as you was thinking?Take Care,HS
Just arrived in Hanover, NH. Planning on a zero tomorrow to get rested up a little before tackling the Whites. 12 states down and only 2 to go. Who woulda figured?

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

Praha4
08-15-2010, 00:31
Que' tal el Flaco?

you guys are doing great, good luck and stay healthy during your last stretch thru NH and ME. Looking forward to seeing some pics of you guys at Katahdin!

noboat

coheterojo
08-15-2010, 17:33
Arrived earlier today at the Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff, NH at the base of Mt. Moosilauke. Decided to rest up for the 1st of the Whites. Deja Vu, Hedgehog and I will climb it tomorrow, weather permitting. Going to start taking it alot slower to enjoy the up and coming magnificence.
Gear is all holding up real well there Hiking Shoes. The trip hasn't always been that easy but it continues to be the adventure of a lifetime. I wouldn't change a thing besides maybe turning down the temperature about 20 degrees or so from N. Virginia to Vermont! Less than 400 miles to go. Whoo Hoo!

See you down the trail,

El Flaco

PS Noboat you can count on a summit picture around mid-September.

BrianLe
08-15-2010, 22:41
"Going to start taking it alot slower to enjoy the up and coming magnificence. "

This is wisdom. And do take advantage of "work for stay" in the huts when you can, it's so much nicer to be able to pig out on food you didn't carry on your back (and then pig out again on food that is on your back that you find is therefore in excess of your minimal daily requirements ...). I was leery of "work for stay" and expected to do more miles in the Whites, so I was really hungry for the first ~half. Then after dialing back mileage expectations and doing work-for-stay, I was very well fed for the second half!

Que puedas comer tanto alla, sr. Flaco, que necesitan cambiar tu nombre a "el Gordo"! :-)

coheterojo
08-23-2010, 13:54
Hanging out in Gorham waiting out some rain. Tomorrow we'll go over Wildcat and in about 3 days we'll be in Maine. The Whites have been fantastic. Stayed at Lake of the Clouds hut 2 days ago and hiked up to see the sunrise on the summit of Mt. Washington. You can't hardly beat that with a stick. Prior to that I saw the sunrise on top of Little Haystack on Franconia Ridge. This trip just keeps getting better and better. And to think it will be coming to an end in less than a month. Yikes!

See you down the trail,

El Flaco

Y Sr. Brianle cuando yo estoy gordo va a ser una sena que el mundo esta acabando!

BrianLe
08-23-2010, 14:14
Lakes of the Clouds work for stay and then sunrise summit on Mt. Washington --- I did exactly the same thing, spending the 4th of July at that hut. Ditto on beating it with a stick; wonderful with absolutely no one on the mountain, whereas I had heard that it gets quite crowded there. No chance to moon the cog train, however, at that time of day! ;-)

Ojalla que puedas mantenerte flaco, pero ... puede ser bastante dificil no comer tanto a casa (ya es dificil para mi, por lo menos). Especially for someone my age, which I see that you are! Maybe you're just genetically blessed or something, I'm already starting to fatten back up a bit.

coheterojo
08-29-2010, 06:26
Just limped in to Andover, ME. Wow what a state! Did the Mahoosuc Notch in 1 hr 10 minutes but paid for it with a smashed knee. Waiting on a maildrop at the PO so must take a day off to wait for the PO to open.
So happy to be in the 14th and final state! Only 257 miles to go! Doesn't sound like much if you say it fast.
Hasta la proxima,

El Flaco

coheterojo
09-03-2010, 17:51
Made it to Stratton,ME this morning. Just picking up some supplies and spending the night. Tomorrow I go up and over the Bigelows and past the 2,000 mle mark. I'll be in Monson before the end of the week and, before you know it, I'll be at Katahdin. I kinda have mixed feelings right now. I'm looking forward to finishing the trip but I don't want the trip to end! Go figure.

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

mudhead
09-03-2010, 18:35
Check your weather before you head uphill.

Hope the dinged knee is better.

You will enjoy Avery on a clear day, without a gale.

Welcome to the sticks.:)

coheterojo
09-08-2010, 14:22
Weather was great crossing the Bigelows. Just arrived in Monson yesterday afternoon and am currently staying at Shaw's Lodging. I'm taking a zero today and will head into the 100 mile wilderness tomorrow. I hope to summit Katahdin on the 15th. I've only got 117 miles to go! I'm anxious to finish the hike but I'm also sad to see the trip come to a close.

See you down the trail,

El Flaco

Praha4
09-10-2010, 01:15
El Flaco,
you really did great doing the entire A.T. in less than 5 months, seems like forever since those early days down in NC and TN, be sure to post a summit photo for us, enjoy the moment , it will be one to remember!

cu on the trail,
noboat

hikingshoes
09-17-2010, 16:48
Great job there EL Flaco!!When is the next big hike?PCT?HS

coheterojo
09-20-2010, 15:23
I summitted Katahdin on Wednesday 9/15 in the rain, snow, sleet and wind and then did it again on Thursday just to see if I could get a summit picture that didn't look like an amorphous blob. What a glutton for punishment, no? At any rate I am an official thruhiker now. Yeehaw!

El Flaco

hikingshoes
09-20-2010, 20:48
How about a PIC there brother?HS
I summitted Katahdin on Wednesday 9/15 in the rain, snow, sleet and wind and then did it again on Thursday just to see if I could get a summit picture that didn't look like an amorphous blob. What a glutton for punishment, no? At any rate I am an official thruhiker now. Yeehaw!

El Flaco

Luddite
09-20-2010, 20:56

El Flaco

Congrats. You should post the pics.

Jeez Katahdin actually gets snow this time of year?

Praha4
09-21-2010, 12:58
summitted twice in 2 days, ur crazy, now I know you my hero boy! was Deja Vu still with you? haven't heard from him in a while

how about a thru hike do-over in 2011? I'm planning another go for April 2011, get Ryan out of Chicago and Pete out of CA or wherever he's hiding and do it again

keep in touch el Flaco, looking forward to your pics

[email protected]