PDA

View Full Version : Vasque Boots

Hikingsasquatch
04-20-2010, 18:41
Does anyone have any experience with recently purchased Vasque Boots. I've read some speculation regarding their quality as of late. However, I made it from GA to ME in a pair of Newbriers back in the day. Should I reconsider my brand loyalty? Do the Clarion GTX or Ranger compare well to the Sundowner?
Thanks for the feedback.

Simba
04-20-2010, 19:24
Back in 2000 I hiked wearing Vasque sundowners; enjoyed them with limited blisters; but I had to trade them in in Harper's Ferry; where they recommended a pair of Vasque Super Hikers, which may have contributed to a new foot condition that ended my hike by NY. Either way, I switched to something lighter (Montrail) and have no issues. If you had a pair of boots that lasted you the whole trail with no problems already I would only suggest that you stay with what works and go with those again.

Happy hiking,
SImba

Ox97GaMe
04-20-2010, 23:18
Ive been a Vasque user since 95. I wore the Clarion GTX on my thru hike, but needed 2 pairs to complete the trip. The first pair had about 200 miles on them before I started to get them broke in and made it to Harpers Ferry. the second pair went to Katadin, but had to be retired after the trip. I have found that I can only get about 800-1200 miles out of a pair of Vasques. May be the way I hike or it may be the boot. Im not sure.

If you are considering a thru hike, and only want to buy one set of boots, I would suggest that you look at different brands. But that is just my personal experience with the boots. Others may have different results.

LIhikers
04-21-2010, 12:41
I've been using Vasque Clarion boots for years, they just seem to fit my feet well. In my opinion the only thing that would make them better would be to leave out the Gortex, or other waterproofing membranes. Sure they'd get wet faster, but if you're out in the rain all day they'll eventually get wet anyway. The improvement would be that they'd dry out faster without the Gortex.

buz
04-22-2010, 11:57
I am a Vasquer, as well, lol. They just fit my feet really well. I use the breeze model, no goretex, and have not had any issues with longevity.

zeus307
04-22-2010, 13:51
My girlfriend and and I both have Vasque Breeze boots and love them. They fit great and we have done muliple day, weekend and 2 7 day long AT hikes and they still going strong. Highly recommend.

steve43
04-22-2010, 14:47
i have a narrow foot and vasque have been the way to go for me... i used to wear new balance boots, but they tended to wear out after about 300 miles....

fifo

Hikingsasquatch
04-22-2010, 19:15
Thanks for the replies. I am in the middle of a footwear crisis. Decided to mail order a pair of Asolo FSN 95s for a real bargain. If they don't work out, I'll pick up a pair of Breeze's on the fly.