PDA

View Full Version : After Trail Days hike question...

JokerJersey
04-21-2010, 00:47
I'm heading down to Damascus for my first Trail Days this year and was thinking about spending some extra time down there afterwards to do a bit of hiking. Due to recent circumstances, I don't really have any time frame to come back, but was thinking of making an extra week of it. The only real time constraint I have is that I need to be in Oklahoma by Memorial Day weekend to visit with an old military friend.

This is really a two in one kinda request. Is anyone interested in joining me on a post Trail Days jaunt for a week or so? Also, any advice on which way to go (north or south out of Damascus) for better hiking? Planning on 3-4 days out and 3-4 days back. Resupply options would be appreciated as well.

Second, can anyone recommend a good place to stash my car for a week in the Damascus area? I know it's a trail/hiker friendly area, so if anyone is able, please let me know. If there is anyone here on WB from Damascus who would be willing to store it at thier house or a hostel, I would be willing to pay a small fee.

Either reply here or PM me if you have any advice or can help me out with the car storage! Thanks in advance guys!

TheCheek
04-21-2010, 08:09
North out of Damascus is what I would do personally. Length of hike depends of course on your expected milage.

mmais68569
04-21-2010, 08:18
Here is a great place to stay & or park. I have been there & really enjoyed it.
Mike

http://www.hikersinndamascus.com/

Disney
04-22-2010, 16:26
I think the hike North out of Damascus is better, but in the interests of convenience, you could hike South to 19E. It would take several days. There's a hostel at 19E near the trail where you could leave your car.

Food for thought.

Cookerhiker
04-22-2010, 17:42
Rather than out-and-back, have you considered getting a shuttle to a point one week's away and hiking back to Damascus? As part of Trail Days, shuttles are offered - check the TDs website.

johnnybgood
04-22-2010, 20:47
Will agree with Cookerhiker. Get shuttled north to Atkins , approx. 76 miles and hike south for 6-7 days.

Or drive to Atkins and contact the proprietietors at Happy Hiker Hollow for free long term parking with a shuttle or stay. [email protected]