PDA

View Full Version : A grand view of the Nolichucky near Erwin, TN?

jackrabbitslim
04-21-2010, 08:04
I recently saw a great photo (from high up) of the Nolichucky River near Erwin, TN. You could see a substantial length of it. Anyone know where this is? I'm pretty sure it's the section between the Nolichucky (Uncle Johnny's Hostel) and Indian Grave Gap.

I started from Indian Grave Gap last Sunday and hiked in a couple hours but didn't see it before I had to turn back. Maybe it's closer to the river trailhead?

Thanks!

Lilred
04-21-2010, 08:23
It's very close to Uncle Johnny's. Start there and it's your first climb. I got a pic with a train going over the river. cool!!

Tennessee Viking
04-21-2010, 08:27
As I recall, Indian Grave Gap to Erwin is fairly wooded. No exciting views as I can remember. I only caught a few small viewpoints of the town of Erwin but none of the river

Is it possible that it was from the view points on Temple Ridge. There are quite a few view points of the town, Chestoa Rec Area, the railroad bridge, and up into the Nolichucky Gorge. Those can be found within the first 2 miles south of Erwin. You walk up a series of switchbacks to the view points. I think there was 4 views at least.

10-K
04-21-2010, 08:30
As I recall, Indian Grave Gap to Erwin is fairly wooded. No exciting views as I can remember. I only caught a few small viewpoints of the town of Erwin but none of the river

Is it possible that it was from the view points on Temple Ridge. From there there are quite a few view points of the town, Chestoa Rec Area, the railroad bridge, and up into the Nolichucky Gorge. Those can be found within the first 2 miles south of Erwin.

Having hiked both these sections many times I'd say you're right. The views are on the south side of Uncle Johnny's.

sherrill
04-21-2010, 09:27
It's about a mile (or so) up the switchbacks, heading south from Johnny's. There's actually two or three lookouts in that section as I recall. Seems like a train goes over that trestle at least once an hour.

dmax
04-21-2010, 10:04
There is one good spot to see alot of the Nolichucky north of the river. But its not on the AT. You do start at Indian Grave Gap, but you have to walk one of the trails in Ephram Place. Its been awhile but I think its the second orange gate. Its a couple of miles in to the lookout on the outcropping. This also might be what you saw a picture of. If you head up in there, ask one of the people on horses. They might be able to tell you the way. If the thunderstorms hold out this weekend I might go up there myself and give you better directions. Like I said its been a few years since I've been there. But the views are awesome. I'll also try to find one of my pictures from there.

Tennessee Viking
04-21-2010, 10:36
Thanks DMax, I forgot about that one. The trail is named Shinbone Trail and the view point is called the Eagles Nest. Its a graded forest road also loop trail open to horse and foot traffic.

I went as far as the fork in the trail a mile and a half in. Possum Bill walked the loop back in 08. Here is his blog entry for it.
http://hikingbill.com/2008_logs/2008-11-02/eagles_nest.htm

Another good vantage point of the Gorge is on Flattop Mtn called Joe Lewis Fields. Go pass the AT at Spivey Gap. Then up WhiteOak Flats Road to USFS 278. Drive about 3 miles in. You will pass 1 large turnout. There is a turnout right before a gate and the road becomes 4x4 only. There is a small gate at the turnout. Walk up the old lumber road to the fields. This the access trail to Lost Cove as well.

dmax
04-21-2010, 11:09
Thanks for that link!

Trail Bug
04-21-2010, 12:25
8554Picture taken on the trail just south of the hostel. Depending on the angle I think you would be able to get a good shot of the river.

Tennessee Viking
04-21-2010, 13:53
By the way, since we are around Erwin, where is this forest fire near town. I saw a web article saying it was near NC 197 and was caused by power lines. So is it close to Beauty Spot if it was the set of power lines that cross near Indian Grave.

Cabin Fever
04-21-2010, 14:42
By the way, since we are around Erwin, where is this forest fire near town. I saw a web article saying it was near NC 197 and was caused by power lines. So is it close to Beauty Spot if it was the set of power lines that cross near Indian Grave.

Found some info saying it was on the NC side of the mountain and was started by a downed power line. Doubt a high tension line would come donw so it must have been something on a mountain road. Article said that the NC side of the road to Indian Grave Gap was closed. 150-200 acres burned.

Rain Man
04-21-2010, 17:20
This is from an Easter weekend hike in '07 that my wife and I did. This photo is from the overlook just before beginning the long NOBO descent to the Nolichucky (and Uncle Johnny's, Erwin, etc.).

Rain:sunMan

jackrabbitslim
04-21-2010, 18:24
Wow so many responses so fast! Thanks all, especially Dmax and Tennessee Viking! That trail MUST be it! I was pretty positive about the direction from the river. I know the river pretty well and one person said that in the photo Quarter Mile Rapid was on the left and Rooster Tail on the right. If correct that meant the view had to be from the north.

And I google earthed it from the north and found a view almost identical to the photo.

I'm a kayaker too and can't wait to see my favorite river from that place. I'll go soon!

Peace out,

Jackrabbit '07!

dmax
04-22-2010, 01:12
You can see my favorite fishing hole from there too.

Is this fire happening now? I know there was one over the weekend. They had the gate closed at Indian Grave Gap. They had the road open from the Iron side. But the road was then closed from about Deep Gap on...

Trail Bug
04-22-2010, 06:47
Nice pic Rain Man.

bflorac
04-22-2010, 23:42
Save view as above, June 2009 (photo (http://www.billflorac.com/Gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7653))

jackrabbitslim
04-23-2010, 08:48
Yea that's the lower Nolichucky between the NOC campground and Chestoa rec area. My first ever kayak run. It's a nice easy-going run with a few Class IIs. The view from Shinbone that I'll be looking for is of the Upper Nolichucky (usually called the Nolichucky Gorge). Great and fun run with a lot of Class IIIs and a couple IV's. I'll post some pics when I finally get back to see the overlook.

10-K
08-31-2010, 15:41
Thanks DMax, I forgot about that one. The trail is named Shinbone Trail and the view point is called the Eagles Nest. Its a graded forest road also loop trail open to horse and foot traffic.

I went as far as the fork in the trail a mile and a half in. Possum Bill walked the loop back in 08. Here is his blog entry for it.
http://hikingbill.com/2008_logs/2008-11-02/eagles_nest.htm

I hiked the Shinbone Trail today. Not a bad loop - it's more like walking on a dirt road than hiking through the woods and I believe it would be a much better hike in the fall and winter when the leaves are off the trees. Having said that, the view from the Eagle's Nest alone makes the hike worth doing - the view into the Nolichucky gorge from up there is breathtaking.

The trail is unblazed, but all you have to do is follow the hoofprints around the loop. The Shinbone is listed at 8.4 miles but you have to park at a gate and walk to where the trail starts making the round trip 10.48 miles.

Here's a link to a google map with elevation profile. Lap 1 is the distance from Start to the Eagle's Nest Overlook. If you click the "laps" block over the map you'll see exactly where on the loop the Eagle's Nest is.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47018539?sms_ss=email (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47018539?sms_ss=email)

Kerosene
08-31-2010, 15:56
Here's Rain Man's view of the railroad bridge from the south side, but in the Fall on an overcast day: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/imgp7551.jpg

Tennessee Viking
08-31-2010, 17:11
I hiked the Shinbone Trail today. Not a bad loop - it's more like walking on a dirt road than hiking through the woods and I believe it would be a much better hike in the fall and winter when the leaves are off the trees. Having said that, the view from the Eagle's Nest alone makes the hike worth doing - the view into the Nolichucky gorge from up there is breathtaking.

The trail is unblazed, but all you have to do is follow the hoofprints around the loop. The Shinbone is listed at 8.4 miles but you have to park at a gate and walk to where the trail starts making the round trip 10.48 miles.

Here's a link to a google map with elevation profile. Lap 1 is the distance from Start to the Eagle's Nest Overlook. If you click the "laps" block over the map you'll see exactly where on the loop the Eagle's Nest is.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47018539?sms_ss=email (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47018539?sms_ss=email)
Did you see any views of Lost Cove? Get to watch a train go through the gorge?

10-K
08-31-2010, 18:37
Did you see any views of Lost Cove? Get to watch a train go through the gorge?

No, I figured I'd hit you up when you're in town to take me to Lost Cove. :)

No trains while we were there but we did hear one after we left. No shortage of trains in Erwin - I get stopped at least once a day at the tracks.