PDA

View Full Version : Packs

Stir Fry
04-21-2010, 08:34
Anyone have any experance with the Sub-pop Critical Mass Packs, from Mchale packs.

Bags4266
04-21-2010, 10:23
Wow, I could do a thru hike for the money they want for one of them!

Stir Fry
04-21-2010, 13:49
Now; its not that bad. About $850, this is a reasonable price for a quality American made pack, and in the end it will actualy fit.

Lone Wolf
04-21-2010, 13:50
$850 for a pack is absolutely outrageous

Mountain Wildman
04-21-2010, 14:00
I don't have one but it is probably the best made pack there is.
It's a complex process to order one, I sent Dan at Mchale an email to order one and never got a response so I ordered a Mystery Ranch Backpack instead.
Also top quality.

Stir Fry
04-21-2010, 17:06
$850 for a pack is absolutely outrageous

I used to think so too. I have spent $150 for a pack and it was crap with 30 lbs load. I have spent $350, and still did not have what I wanted. Have 4 outher packs in between those prices. Some ok some not so. So I keep trying. With Mchale I can order the pack any way I want. Get any feature I'm willing to pay for. As heavy or as light as I'm willing to pay for. I have done my homework and the material that Dan uses is over half the cost. I could have goten the Mchale first and I would have saved $. But to be honost I would not have ordered a Mchale first. I did not know what I wanted then, so I would probly been unhappy with it any way. At least with Mchale I'll get to try the pack, even use it on a short trip before I make my final decision.

Mountain Wildman
04-21-2010, 17:25
I used to think so too. I have spent $150 for a pack and it was crap with 30 lbs load. I have spent $350, and still did not have what I wanted. Have 4 outher packs in between those prices. Some ok some not so. So I keep trying. With Mchale I can order the pack any way I want. Get any feature I'm willing to pay for. As heavy or as light as I'm willing to pay for. I have done my homework and the material that Dan uses is over half the cost. I could have goten the Mchale first and I would have saved $. But to be honost I would not have ordered a Mchale first. I did not know what I wanted then, so I would probly been unhappy with it any way. At least with Mchale I'll get to try the pack, even use it on a short trip before I make my final decision.

My sentiments exactly, I have been camping and day hiking for 25 plus years, I was not sure what to order from Mchale either, When he never replied to me e-mail I ordered a Mystery Ranch G7000 (Huge Hauler Pack)
and a Trance XXX (4200 c.i.) for my Thru-Hike next year. When and if I need a new pack I will try Mchale since by then I will know what I need.
Did spend $900 for both packs though. OUCH!!!

FamilyGuy
04-22-2010, 00:14
Most who shun at spending $850 on a pack own 3 or 4 packs....which probably would come close to that amount in retail pricing or have bought, used, and sold a few hundred dollars worth of packs that failed or did not ultimately work well.

With Mchale you get a custom pack that fits you PERFECTLY. With the options that YOU want and made out of the fabrics YOU desire. The quality is unmatched and you will have the pack for a generation. They also carry like no other. Yes, even at low weights.

They compress down exceptionally well so can be used for varying load volumes.

FamilyGuy
04-22-2010, 00:15
I don't have one but it is probably the best made pack there is.
It's a complex process to order one, I sent Dan at Mchale an email to order one and never got a response so I ordered a Mystery Ranch Backpack instead.
Also top quality.

That's too bad. But I would have called him. He will answer the phone.

Mountain Wildman
04-22-2010, 00:27
That's too bad. But I would have called him. He will answer the phone.

I thought about calling but although I have camped out dozens of times I am new to backpacking so I really did not know what to order or ask for, I figured Mystery Ranch is next in line for quality and the packs are completely adjustable, I don't regret my decision because the M.R. packs I bought are awesome and only a few pounds heavier than a Mchale.
I don't mind paying for quality gear so it is very likely I will still buy a Mchale pack further down the road and I could always sell my M.R. pack or give it to a friend or family member.
Mystery Ranch packs are very desirable so I'm sure if I posted one for sale I wouldn't have a shortage of offers.

My Trance XXX weighs 4 pounds and at 68 liters is about the same capacity and weight as an Osprey Aether 70 which is a highly popular Thru-Hiking pack.

FamilyGuy
04-22-2010, 01:01
That XXX Trance looks to be an amazing pack. Nothing wrong with that choice!!

Hikingsasquatch
04-22-2010, 01:58
Try a Gregory. I've had mine for 14 years. It's still going strong, and made in the USA.

FamilyGuy
04-22-2010, 11:50
Try a Gregory. I've had mine for 14 years. It's still going strong, and made in the USA.

The OP is looking for experience with a Mchale and you suggest trying a Gregory? That's helpful.

The_Saint
04-22-2010, 17:51

Not made in the USA anymore.

JRiker
04-22-2010, 18:01
i've never owned one but there is a pretty good review here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/McHale%20Super%20Sarc%20Plug%20and%20Go/Owner%20Review%20by%20Brett%20Cook/

JRiker
04-22-2010, 18:02
also, a ton of review here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mchale/

Berserker
04-26-2010, 12:43
I own a McHale Popcan. It was pricey as noted in the posts above, but worth every cent. At 6'-5" I was having considerable trouble finding a pack that fit right. I am totally satisfied with the fit of my McHale. It rides wonderfully, and seems to sit nicely on my back no matter how sloppy I get with the packing. The quality is also amazing, and I like having the ability to pick any material and options I want. Oh yeah, and if you are getting a bigger pack you'll get his patented P&G system where the straps from the bottom of the pack to the attachments above the shoulders go through sleeves on the should pads. This system is so cool because there is no fiddling required with load lifters and all that junk. You just follow Dan's procedure for putting on the pack each time you put it on, and it will feel the same every time.

With all said, my Popcan weighs 4 lbs 2 oz, and it is a pretty stripped down version in the Dyneema grid fabric. So I don't think it can get much lighter than that (although you can discuss that with Dan if weight is a concern...he might have some lighter options). I use it in the winter, for heavier loads and if I'm carrying a bear can (where required...I don't nomally carry one unless I am slackpacking and feel lazy). The rest of the time I use a ULA Circuit (at 2 lbs 7 oz), and it works just fine for loads under 30 lbs (I don't feel fit is as critical when getting in the 20 - 30 lb range as it is with heavier loads). One other thing of note is that I would definitely only recommend getting a McHale to someone with some backpacking experience as you won't know what you really want on a pack till you hike some.

STICK
04-27-2010, 15:34
I had been eyeballing the MR Trance XXX. Looks like a nice pack.

Mountain Wildman
04-27-2010, 17:02
I had been eyeballing the MR Trance XXX. Looks like a nice pack.

The Trance XXX is an awesome pack, I haven't hiked with it yet, I have a trip planned for next month, I have had it packed extremely full and it was supremely comfortable at 45 pounds, I put the same load in my MR G7000 which can easily carry an 80 to 100 pound load and to my surprise, the Trance felt more comfortable than the G7000 with the same load. I am still chipping away at my gear to reduce weight, My last load up came in at 35 pounds without food or water, Still alittle heavy, so I am working on weight reduction. There are packs that are comparable in size and capacity for 100 to 150 bucks less but my Trance should last many years, And I have read reviews on the comparable packs like the Osprey, Gregory and Granite Gear etc... where there have been cases of pack failure in one way or another, Though minimal in occurance a failure is a failure. I have never read any review of pack failure in either McHale or Mystery Ranch. They don't come off of a mechanical assembly line, There are production tags with dates and signatures of the people that made my Mystery Ranch packs in every component of the pack.
Maybe a little heavy and pricey compared to other packs but you cannot go wrong, And I haven't heard anyone say that it was a mistake to buy an MR or Mchale pack.

stranger
04-27-2010, 23:00
This might have changed in recent years, but years ago many Gregory packs were made in the USA, however, many of their more popular designs were built in Mexico...they have 3 plants, and lot of stuff still comes outta Temecula from what I understand.

But something like a Gregory Palisade...that's made in Mexico, for example, but a Denali is made in California...again, this is how it used to be.

skinewmexico
04-27-2010, 23:41
I'm glad I'm easy to fit, and can get by with USA made packs by ULA and Gossamer Gear. And I'll stop there, because mom said if you can't say something nice......

STICK
04-28-2010, 14:28
I have looked at the ULA packs, in specific the Circuit & the OHM, more specifically the Circuit. I am looking at obtaining an average weight of 30 - 35 lbs (w/ food & water). The Circuit would probably work for this, but with me being right on the edge, I am ultimately looking at the GG Nimbus Ozone. I like the idea of having leeway up to 40 lbs if needed. I am curious as to how well the suspension hoop works in the Circuit though. I guess the Catalyst would work for what I am wanting, but it is roughly the same weight as the GG NO but it seems that the GG NO would have a more comfy suspension.

Spokes
04-28-2010, 16:38
Now; its not that bad. About $850, this is a reasonable price for a quality American made pack, and in the end it will actualy fit.

Isn't that the sort of thinking that sunk the US auto industry?

FamilyGuy
04-28-2010, 21:11

Well no - a Mchale is a work of art. American made cars are POS.

Stir Fry
04-29-2010, 18:26
I'll let you know sent my deposit today to start the fitting process.

Tamerlin
05-05-2010, 13:55

I'm with Family Guy on this. The US auto industry is sinking because of incompetent management and the fact that they produce terrible cars (the chevy volt is an insult to engineering AND marketing -- it amazes me that anyone who can read would take it at all seriously... but I digress).

I have a McHale SuperSARC or something like that; I'm not really sure which one it is exactly, since it's a custom dealie :)

I have mine in Dyneema, and although it was rather expensive it's also my only pack. It fits perfectly (duh), it's extremely well built, and it carries loads like a champ. I carry a large-format camera kit in mine, so it's generally heavier than most backpacker's loads, and carries well just the same.

Dan does provide good service, but you might have better luck getting questions answered if you call him. I took advantage of the fact that his shop is about a 20-minute drive from my house, and just made an appointment.