PDA

View Full Version : I Pod Speakers?

Disney
04-21-2010, 14:53
I hate them, with a deep and abiding passion. Last year I wanted to attack and kill the idiot who would keep them on all the time. I worry that this kind of thing is becoming more common. 5 years ago, there was nothing like it that was remotely light enough to carry. Now? I read journals which mention people putting the speakers on every night in the shelters.

I really do enjoy shelters, meeting folks, the talking, laughing, camraderie. Now that seems like it has to come with music. So is this becoming more of a problem every year? And how does one address it? Or am I just wrong?

wcgornto
04-21-2010, 15:01
I don't like them on the trail and I wish hikers would leave them at home. Of course, I feel the same way about guitars and such.

bigcranky
04-21-2010, 15:24
Yeah, I was ready to kill a couple of hikers who insisted on playing their effing iPod speakers while hiking on the trail, and at all the shelters. Grrrr.

Right, I know, I should avoid the shelters. But that's not a good answer. iPods come with little things called earbuds. Use them.

Adayak
04-21-2010, 16:55
Pretty soon we'll be expected to hike with noise cancellation headphones to drown out all the ipod bump music. It is shocking the number of people that only think of themselves when playing music outloud on the trail.

Cool AT Breeze
04-21-2010, 17:08
What's so hard about staying in the woods instead of rodent infested shelters?

Manwich
04-21-2010, 17:46
Free Country, Few Rules. Don't like it? Leave.

Slo-go'en
04-21-2010, 17:53
I don't mind a little back ground music at a shelter around dinner time when everyone is moving around and making noise anyway. The only problem I have with those things are most of them sound like cr*p.

FritztheCat
04-21-2010, 18:27
I think it comes down to just having common courtesy. I know most folks would absolutely hate my selection of metal music so I would use earbuds, if I were to use the iPod on the trail at all (maybe during particularly arduous uphills). Sounds better that way anyway. Just because I like the music, doesn't mean everyone else will.

ed bell
04-21-2010, 20:29
And the list of reasons to avoid shelters continues to grow with each passing year....even though any decent backpacking enthusiast would consider the surroundings before imposing a steady sonic intrusion in the woods.

sheepdog
04-21-2010, 20:52
only thing worse is someone who thinks they can play the guitar and sing

MikeE
04-21-2010, 21:37
Don't hate those earbuds, in fact, don't waste your energy on this you can't control. I could not agree with you more, I look forward to talking and listening to my fellow hikers when I section this June. When people are listening to their MP3 players, they miss out on opportunities to make connections with people, nature, and sometimes themselves.

However, I will bring my ipod on the trail this summer. I feel I will need it. Music has an effect on me that I'm counting on this summer. I going solo, and this is will be first time on the AT. I anticipate having many emotions on that trip, and when I feel like lonely, anxious, homesick, or happy, music is there for me like no one else. Music makes me think that God does indeed love us.

Ask that person to turn it down if it is too loud. If they are rude and do not turn it down, then earbuds are the least of your problems.

I will keep your post in mind and keep my ipod and ear buds out of sight this summer, respecting others in the shelters or around them.

Panzer1
04-21-2010, 21:54
its nothing new. people have been bringing large radios to the trail since the days of transistor radios..

Panzer

fw2008
04-21-2010, 22:00
I always thought that the greatest thing about iPods and other MP3 players was the privacy in listening, and the great sound you can get using a cheap ($15) pair of headphones (I don't use earbuds; I don't like the way they feel in my ears, and when I'm working out - which includes hiking - I sweat and my ears get full of water)

Normally, I don't hike with the music, but I like to have it at night.
I have never, and will never use a pair of speakers for my iPod. First, I seriously respect others right to peaceful enjoyment, and second, they are junk, IMO.

I don't sleep in shelters - always carry a tent, but I sometimes do tent near the shelters, so if someone were playing music in the shelter, I would hear it.
It really doesn't bother me all that much anyway, unless it's some kind of music that I absolutely detest, or they are playing it so loud that the speakers are distorting 100%.

There are places that prohibit the use of any device that will cause a disturbance. Baxter SP is one. They don't even allow the (casual) use of cell phones in the park.

On the positive side of this, the batteries will run down and the music will stop:D

FW

Buzz_Lightfoot
04-21-2010, 23:09
its nothing new. people have been bringing large radios to the trail since the days of transistor radios..

Panzer

That was my thought. In my generation a rude person played a boom box ith huge speakers whose sound would carry for miles and would have laughed themselves silly at the tiny, tinny ipod speakers. However, rude is rude and tiny and tinny can still be annoying.

BL

Disney
04-22-2010, 02:06
Don't hate those earbuds, in fact, don't waste your energy on this you can't control.

I don't hate the earbuds. I use them. I think that is actually the more polite option. I was referring to the speakers. Ipods now comes with speakers that can be hung around the neck and blast music for everyone to hear.....Goddawful things.

MikeE
04-22-2010, 10:24
Disney, I misunderstood. I can't imagine why anyone would bring speakers into the wilderness. I would Hulk smash those speakers fast, then I would stand there with a smile, and let the owner size my 6'4 260 lbs. hiking body home. Headphones or face the potential of the Hulk smash. :)

white_russian
04-22-2010, 10:37
Heck, just owning an iPod is a sign that you need a good hulk smash. There are mp3 players on the market that are just as good for a lot less money.

MikeE
04-22-2010, 12:20
Please hulk smash me asap, I have 4-5 ipods so I'm in deep.

Happy smashin'!

guitboxdude25
04-22-2010, 22:29
Hey, it's a free country. As much as I'd agree that people who blast their speakers over everyone, especially in the later hours, are being rude, it's half your fault for not politely asking "hey buddy, that's a little loud for me right now, do you mind turning it down a little or putting on headphones?"

So instead of letting that anger build up, use your communication skills and just ask nicely =)