PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola SP to NOC Section Hike - info wanted

grrickar
10-19-2004, 00:14
My very first section hike is now over, and we made pretty good time for first timers I think.

We did Hot Springs, NC to the NOC in 9 days. The guidebook lists this hike as being 134 miles. I was looking ahead to the next section hike and I was thinking that it might be a good idea to hike from Amicalola SP to Springer Mtn, and then on to the NOC. I think the guidebook lists that section as being 143 miles.

My questions are directed to those who have done that section as well as the section I just completed:

How do the views compare with those in the GSMNP?

Are there shelters that you have to stay in, or are there ample places to tent camp?

What is the elevation profile compared to the run from Hot Springs to the NOC (in other words, would you consider it more/less challenging that what we just completed?)?

Jaybird
10-19-2004, 05:19
Yo Grrickar:

I found the Springer to NOC section probably some of the best views & some of the most strenious hiking thus far on my section-hike of the A.T. (i'm up to Damascus,VA now on my 20-year-journey!)

BUT, i think most people say this (me included)section is strenious...because its the first section, & most people havent hiked ANY part of the A.T. when they start @ Springer (or Amicalola Falls SP) Mtn...& the mtn & ridgelines are a lot different than the training most of us hikers have been doing!

You'll love the views....especially of Nantahala Overlook...stop for an hour or so & enjoy!

Good luck with yer hike. :D

orangebug
10-19-2004, 08:56
There are plenty of choices for camping in NOGA and NC. This is not like the Smokies with controlled camping only at specific areas.

This is strenuous, but you have also done strenuous with that walk from Hot Springs to Max Patch in one day, and the never ending climb from Davenport Gap. Look forward to the 16 mile roadless stretch between Dick's Creek Gap and Unicoi Gap (if you ignore the FS road into Trey Gap). Thrill to the climb of Mt. Albert! Standing Indian will leave you breathless, especially if you camp on top and enjoy the star show!!!

Have Fun!
:clap

The Solemates
10-19-2004, 09:40
The views in this GA section are awesome. You may not have as many high elevation lookouts like you did in the Smokies (especially across the Bunion and Sawteeth), but the views are certainly there. I have done this section about 5 times and love it. Make sure you camp atop Blood Mtn and get up early for the sunrise. If the conditions are right, that is one of the best places to view the sunrise on the entire southern portion of the trail.

There are tons of shelters to stay in. You dont even need to bring your tent if you dont want. There are also many flat spaces along the trail for campsites if you would rather camp. In fact, most of the AT in the South has ample camping spots. By ample I mean the furthest you will go until finding a makeshift spot would be 2-3 mles.

I would say that it is a little more challenging than GSMNP. The reason is that you gain ridge in the Smokies, and pretty much travel along that the length of the park. While you had some climbs out of valleys in your previous section, you will have more overall up and down in the GA section.

Happy hiking!

Youngblood
10-19-2004, 09:57
Don't count on always finding room in shelters, sometimes they fillup. You don't have restrictions on staying in shelters like the Smokies, so you are free to camp along the trail.

The terrain is also through the mountains so it is similar enough to what you have done to use the same guidelines for estimating your mileage... but pay attention to the time of year and the available daylight.

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
10-19-2004, 10:00
the GA section does have a generous amount of shelter space.

Rain Man
10-19-2004, 10:07
For what it's worth, I just did the 30 miles from Wallace Gap to Wesser, NC this weekend (two 15-mile days). It was fairly strenuous. I got in after dark each day, partly due to sight-seeing. The views atop Wesser and Wayah Towers are AWESOME, especially in good, clear weather (as I had). Siler Bald has good views too.

Saw LOTS of "Atlanta" and "Florida" peepers ... folks out for the day. There are plenty of forest service roads, used heavily by tourists in the Fall.

Ran into some backpackers, but none staying in shelters, which were all empty.

Trail maintenance workers have been BUSY!!! Many, many fallen trees, some over two feet in diameter, have been cut off the trail. Only once was there a tree I had to walk around, and once had to crawl under one. At two points there were trail wash-outs. One detour was about 40 feet, another perhaps half a mile (?), which I had to do in the dark.

Have a great hike!

Rain Man
:welcome

Youngblood
10-19-2004, 10:08
the GA section does have a generous amount of shelter space.

SMS,

I agree, but I don't think it is wise to count on having a space in a shelter. How many times have you seen folks act like they got there first and have the entire shelter to themselves and may even put their tent up in a shelter? Folks sometimes come out in a group and take up all the shelter space and most of the camp sites near the shelter.

I have even seen campsites in the dead of winter when I haven't seen a sole in days overrun by a group of scouts.

My concern was a previous post said that you didn't even need a tent for shelter for that section of trail. I respect the person who posted the message but don't agree with the message... I don't think it came out the way they intended.

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
10-19-2004, 10:26
SMS,

I agree, but I don't think it is wise to count on having a space in a shelter. How many times have you seen folks act like they got there first and have the entire shelter to themselves and may even put their tent up in a shelter? Folks sometimes come out in a group and take up all the shelter space and most of the camp sites near the shelter.

I have even seen campsites in the dead of winter when I haven't seen a sole in days overrun by a group of scouts.

My concern was a previous post said that you didn't even need a tent for shelter for that section of trail. I respect the person who posted the message but don't agree with the message... I don't think it came out the way they intended.

Youngblood

I agree..you MUST have a tent/tarp with you,