PDA

View Full Version : Artichoke Hearts?

Disney
04-21-2010, 15:37
I love artichoke hearts in my Lipton Sides, and my Mac n Cheese. If I pull them out of the glass container in the refrigerator, and put them in a ziplock bag, (and then that bag in another, and that bag in another) how long will they last? Could I get away with a 4 day trip?

Mountain Wildman
04-21-2010, 15:43
Granite Gear makes a case that is padded and insulated like a small soft cooler, Use one of these and some ice or dry ice in a ziplock and the arts will last longer, not sure how long though.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Air-Cell-Blocks-P82C13.aspx

Snowleopard
04-21-2010, 18:54
Dehydrated artichoke hearts? This recipe is by Dicentra who I think is on WB:
http://www.onepanwonders.com/apps/blog/show/1463954-yesterday-s-lunch-salmon-artichoke-pasta-salad-fbc-style-
If you have a dehydrator, it sounds like she uses canned artichoke hearts and dehydrates them herself. I'll have to try that.

I don't think the ones in a jar would last long once the jar was opened.

Hikes in Rain
04-21-2010, 19:19
I think you can get them in a can, too, which would be lighter and less break-prone than glass. Never tried them, though, so I can't comment on the quality. (I use the ones in the jar, too, but never took them hiking.)

Erin
04-21-2010, 23:12
The canned ones are really good but heavy. I believe the Reese brand weighs almost a pound. Lots of hearts, 12-16 and they are in water. The ones in oil should last if sealed well in an airtight container for four days I would think. Just transfer the oiled ones from the glass jar.

Disney
04-22-2010, 02:09
The canned ones are really good but heavy. I believe the Reese brand weighs almost a pound. Lots of hearts, 12-16 and they are in water. The ones in oil should last if sealed well in an airtight container for four days I would think. Just transfer the oiled ones from the glass jar.

That's what I was looking to hear. Oiled ones, transferred to an airtight container. For me, an airtight container means I use my mouth to suck the air out of the bag right before it's sealed completely.

I was just worried someone might say "No Disney Don't. The oil marinated ones have no preservatives and will go bad within a day. Horrible things will happen. Don't try it.

vonfrick
04-29-2010, 21:27
Granite Gear makes a case that is padded and insulated like a small soft cooler, Use one of these and some ice or dry ice in a ziplock and the arts will last longer, not sure how long though.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Air-Cell-Blocks-P82C13.aspx

don't put dry ice in a sealed container, especially a rigid one

i bought a small screwtop ziploc container to keep 'wet' stuff in, maybe try that??

Dicentra
05-05-2010, 15:49
Dehydrated artichoke hearts? This recipe is by Dicentra who I think is on WB:
http://www.onepanwonders.com/apps/blog/show/1463954-yesterday-s-lunch-salmon-artichoke-pasta-salad-fbc-style-
If you have a dehydrator, it sounds like she uses canned artichoke hearts and dehydrates them herself. I'll have to try that.

I don't think the ones in a jar would last long once the jar was opened.

Yes. Canned. :) I get them at Trader Joes. $1.99 can. Chop or break them up and spread them on lined trays. Excellent in pasta dishes too! Yum! Don't try this with the ones packed in oil. You want the water packed kind.

LaurieAnn
05-15-2010, 09:30
Canned artichoke hearts dry beautifully as do the jarred ones. If you accidentally buy them packed in oil give them a rinse or two with boiling water. They are wonderful in all sorts of things. We make an artichoke and crab dip for the trail as well as an olive tapenade that has artichokes. Another nice thing is to put them on a wrap with foil pouched chicken, roasted red peppers and a little dressing... totally yummy.

Doctari
05-16-2010, 13:42
There are lots of things that modern people thing will "go bad" nearly instantly if out of the refrigerator, that lasts for 4 or more days: Parkay in the squeeze bottle [5+ days, summer], most "hard" cheeses [5+ days, summer], Skinless raw chicken [3 days, early fall] wrapped tightly in TWO layers aluminum foil, etc.

I'm thinking that canned (jars included) Artichoke hearts should last you at least 4 days. Try to not contaminate them. AND move them from can/jar to ziplock as quickly as possible. Remember, for most "canned" foods, getting them in the can or jar requires getting them pretty hot, so they are at least partially cooked & germ free. If it were me, I would put them in the coldest part of your fridge until leaving for the trail, then keeping them in a cooler till the trail head. Maybe overkill, but maybe worth the effort.