PDA

View Full Version : Super Spiral #3 650 vs Super Spiral #3 Synthetic

Thruorbust
04-21-2010, 18:23
Hello

Based on everyone's experience I'm hoping you can narrow this down for me. Here is a summary of who I am and what my needs are:

1) Thru hiking
2) Inexperienced
3) Side sleeper and tosser
4) Cold sleeper (I think)
5) Height: 5' 11
6) Weight: 155

I'm trying to keep it below $200 and the SS Synthetic is well below that, but at a cost of weight. And never using either of these bags (and lacking a place to try them out) I'm wondering how much the comfort will differ. Will the goose be more comfy then the synthetic? I'm also right near the borderline of the height restrictions between regular and long so that's another issue I'm debating!

Thanks!

tammons
04-21-2010, 21:37
At 5'-11 you should probably get the long unless you curl up. Maybe you would fit.
I am 6'-2 and the long is snug for me. These are the new bags I think so not sure if they changed the sizes.

2#10 oz is not bad though, but synthetic will de-loft over time.
Down is way more compressable and lasts longer. Only benifit with sythetic is if you get it really soaking wet, maybe you could survive a miserable night in one.

I prefer to sleep in down bags over synthetic, but if exhausted it doesn't matter.

Another option is a campmor 20dF down bag for $130 or so. Not DWR and the regular weighs 2#4oz

I have a Golite ultra 20 quilt and I love it. Cost just over $200 and weighs 21 oz for a long. Stuffs tiny.

The new model long is on sale here for $240.Regular is less.
IMO Quilts are better for tossing and turning and side sleepers.
As a side sleeper the breathing hole closed down in a regular mummy bag drives me nuts.

I do think that mummy bags are a bit warmer in really cold weather because you can close them up, IE no drafts.

Quilts are definitely better for hammocking all around even in extreme cold so that is something to consider if you ever buy or build a hammock.

http://www.prolitegear.com/golite-ultralite-3-season-quilt-long.html

tammons
04-21-2010, 21:48
Synthetic quilts if you are nervous.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=133

This guy can make any sort of custom quilt you want.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

Rocketman
04-21-2010, 23:36
I would go for the lighter weight down, especially as a self classed thru-hiker.

Depending upon when you are actually going to leave, I would try looking around for one of the higher quality MontBell bags on sale. I have found that I have regretted not having simply purchased a high quality bag in the beginning. On the other hand, budgets are kind of hard to argue with at times. Especially if you have a tight schedule.

Have a great hike, and a long hiking hobby.

mlebwill
04-24-2010, 12:24
Go with the down for sure. You can't beat the weight or packability of down.

Also - BackcountryGear.com (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__PRODUCTID=MB914) has the 800 fill in a long on sale for under $200 which will be even better than the 650 fill.

Mike

Thruorbust
04-24-2010, 12:33
Hey Mike

I actually saw that Montbell when I was searching it, but it isn't the "super" spiral, which leads me to believe it doesn't stretch.

Thanks for the help though! :)

ChinMusic
04-24-2010, 12:39
Montbell has changed its sizing. Regular was changed from 5'10" to 6'.

This is a new change.

mlebwill
04-24-2010, 13:10
Hey Mike

I actually saw that Montbell when I was searching it, but it isn't the "super" spiral, which leads me to believe it doesn't stretch.

Thanks for the help though! :)

Yeah the one on sale is the old one. It does stretch a bit - but the girth is not as wide as the new one. If you are looking for strecth - try and find one of the discountinued Super Stretch Down Hugers (in a long for sure) - those are amazing and much better than the Supper Spiral in my opinion.

Mike

Thruorbust
04-24-2010, 14:11
I've looked high and low for the super stretch down hugger, but all of them (that are affordable) are sold out. :mad:

Even $200 is pushing the budget envelope just a bit for the spiral 650!