PDA

View Full Version : Sub 3lb Internal Frame Pack

snarbles
10-19-2004, 12:15
I'm moving out of my old external frame Jansport and looking for something lighter, but not quite ready for a sub 20lb pack. I'm currently looking for something under 3lbs and capable of holding 35-40lbs. I am a new member of backpacklight.com (service is a bit questionable and slow, but we'll see if it pays off). There reviews on light internal frames places the GoLite Infinity as the overall best. I have nothing against or for Golite's products and am considering this based off of the reviews. Anyone have experience with this pack and or suggestions for a durable sub 3lb pack?

A-Train
10-19-2004, 12:40
Granite Gear packs have exploded onto the AT and thru-hiking scene in the last 2 hiking seasons. Checkout both the Vapor Trail and the Ozone. The Vapor Trail is 2 lbs and holds 30-35. The Ozone at 3 lbs has a suspension and holds upwards of 40 lbs or more. I hiked with a bunch of folks who used both these packs and loved them.

Some people are satisfied with Golite, but the truth is that a lot of people aren't. I'm not affiliaited with an outfitter, or company, I just think Golite is on the junky side. You don't seem commited to light weight backpacking, so why go for a company that prides themself on that?

Other options would be the Gregory Z-Pack, The Osprey Aether 60 and The mountainsmith Ghost. All are in the 2-3 lb range and can carry around 30-35 lbs. Also ULA makes the P1 and P2 which fit into this category. They are a small private company that makes quality packs, with good customer service.

I only have personal experience with the MS Ghost which I hauled for 1000+ miles. Its a good pack, not a great pack. Definately don't wanna go over 30 lbs.

I'm buying a Vapor Trail myself after having thru-hiked the AT if that tells you anything

chris
10-19-2004, 12:51
The ULA P2 has a full frame sheet on it and comes in a few oz. under 3 lbs. The P1 has a quarter length frame sheet and comes in at about 1.5 lbs. Both can be had at www.ula-equipment.com. Note that Brian is on the Arizona trail right now, so won't get back to any querries until sometime in November.

tlbj6142
10-19-2004, 12:51
The GoLite Unlimited series of packs are really nice. I put 24# of bean bags in the Continuum pack and was amazed at how well it carried.

The Continuum might be a bit small for a thru hike (unless you are truly comited to low volume gear), but the Infinity is perfect. I'm not a fan of top lids, but otherwise the pack looks great. Price wise they are inline with the Granite Gear Packs mentioned above.

And for those reading along at home, the Unlimited packs are...

Not really light (they weigh more than 2#)
Have a real frame via framesheet that can be bent to match the user's back
They are not "purpose built" for 3-season backpacking, but rather winter packing when more (read heavier) gear is required and for climbing (again heavier gear).

The Solemates
10-19-2004, 12:59
ive always carried gregory packs. i think they are the best in the business. i carried the Z-pack on my thru, and it was awesome. 3lbs 5oz, 3900 cubic inches.

if you need even less room, they make the G-Pack that is lighter. 3100 cu in.

Kerosene
10-19-2004, 13:03
I concur with A-Train's post. I purchased a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (3 pounds), mainly to improve the overall ride and be able to handle a little over 30 pounds after a big re-supply point. I usually walk with about 25 pounds, fully loaded, and it's been a great pack. Click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3235) for my review. You could take a step down to the Vapor Trail, at 2 pounds, which is also pretty popular on the AT (especially if you're hiking in warm weather with frequent re-supply). There's an active thread on the ULA P-2 that is also a cool pack.

TREE-HUGGER
10-19-2004, 13:53
I have been carrying a ULA P2 for two years now and I love it. One of the things I believe that sets it apart from the rest is that it has a true aluminum stay for the suspension.

snarbles
10-19-2004, 14:00
Thanks for the info :). I'm still quite undecided on which pack. I am commited to reducing my pack weight/volume......just not all at once. It's a battle between the ULA P2, Golite Infinity, and the Granite Gear Ozone....

tlbj6142
10-19-2004, 14:20
This might help a bit...

The nice thing about the Ozone is the torso length is adjustable and the shoulderstraps and hipbelt come in various sizes. If properly fitted this can make the pack significantly more comfortable. Something you can't do with the GoLite and to a less extent the P2.

Singletrack
10-19-2004, 17:01
I have used the Golite Infinity, and it's not nearly the pack as the GG Vapor Trail, Ozone, or any of the ULA packs. (P1,P2, Fusion). The Infinity is heavier than the VT, P1, and Fusion. It has a fair suspension, but you will need to keep your loads around 20-27 lbs. to be comfortable IMO. The waist belt is flimsy IMO. I sold my Infinity, and will stick with my Vapor Trail and Virga. My suggestion is order one, from someone that has a good return policy, such as REI. If you are not satisfied after loading it up, and even hiking, send it back. Hope this helps.

ndwoods
10-23-2004, 15:16
Ditto the ULA P-2.

TakeABreak
10-24-2004, 04:42
No suggestions here, but I am also looking for a lighter pack that I can carry from 20 - 35 lbs depending on the time of year, and found this thread to helpful, and am going to check the packs out.

But, I do have one question, I know titanium is more expensive but has any of these pack makers tried using titanium stays, it sure would cut down on the weight. Or does anyone know where to get replacement titanium stays.

Thanks for the idea's.

kncats
10-24-2004, 06:51
A common misconception is that titanium is light. It's not. It's two thirds heavier than an equal mass of aluminum. What titanium does have going for it is that it is very strong so manufacturers can use less of it to achieve the necessary strength. This means that a pot made out of titanium is only slightly lighter than one made of aluminum. The metal is very thin and therefore light. However, titanium is also more brittle than a metal such as aluminum meaning that it's not going stand up to repeated flexing as well, a quality necessary for an internal pack frame.

willyhort0w2
10-24-2004, 09:07
I carry the ULA P-2 and I love it. I llike the fact you can custom order them, I bought the stripped version without the daisy chain, top lid, hydration sleeve, and I deffinately have the duel hip belt pockets. Anybody who caries the P-2 will tell you that the hip belt pockets are the best new thing on a pack, I fill mine, one with compas whistle and power bars and in the other pocket I've got my camera and a small knife. All commonly used items without having to remove the pack. and it will carry loads u0p to 40#'s