PDA

View Full Version : decisions

apudreamer
04-22-2010, 21:16
Anybody been here, done this?

Mostly I need to vent, and don't expect anybody to resolve this for me.

I had thought that I was all set to go for a nice 2011 NOBO walk. My boss agreed to let me take the time off to do it, with the understanding that I must work there for an additional full year after my return. I was elated at the time, but find myself increasingly disenchanted with this job and I don't know if I really fancy the idea of having to be tied to it for two more years.

A hike this year is not possible, as I am also finishing my MA this summer.

So the choices are:

1) Suck it up, do my hike next year, and then suck it up again (and things may or may not be better by then).
2) Quit, find another full time job and put hiking plans on the back burner for a while.
3) Quit, and try to find temporary jobs to patch me through until next March, then continue with the hike as possible. While this is the most inviting, it is also the most terrifying due to uncertain financial matters (I have a mortgage and am not interested in selling the house), and insurance questions.

So, for the purposes of distraction and additional thinking, what thinks you?

Thanks.

Appalachian Tater
04-22-2010, 21:29
If you don't like your job now you are really going to hate it after hiking for six months. You don't give any indication as to your employability or how much you are making now compared to another job. My advice given what you have said is to consider the job issue separately before considering it in conjunction with the hiking.

Another possibility is to talk to your boss about your concerns.

You also have a while before your 2011 hike so some factors may change.

Mountain Wildman
04-22-2010, 21:30
That is a tough one, But being that you have a house you don't want to sell or lose.
You may have no alternative but to take the most secure option at this time. The trail will be there for you when you are ready, Then again, No path you choose provides 100% safety and security. I know from experience that it could take decades to be established with a home, savings, new car etc... And your life takes an unexpected turn and you lose it all overnight.
Good luck, Like I said and I'm sure you know, It's a tough one.
Maybe write a pro and con list, In the past it has helped me make tough decisions.
Good luck neighbor!!

WalkingStick75
04-22-2010, 21:31
Small price to pay in this economy knowing that you have a job when you complete your hike.

tlap
04-22-2010, 21:32
This is what I would do--stay with the current job and save money aggressively between now and 2011, and then resign rather than take a leave from which you must return.

That might look better on the resume than quitting now and taking a short term job.

But it really depends on how bad things are and how much you hate the current situation.

Whatever you do, don't give up plans for 2011.

apudreamer
04-22-2010, 21:48
Thanks for the thoughts. To fill in some of the points brought up:

1) I think I am relatively employable. BA from a good college, soon to have a MA from a recognized program in the field, bilingual, K-12 certified in education in 40 states. I also recognize that things are bad out there, and am grateful for the security that this job has given me for the past 6 years. I don't make a ton, but it does what needs doing. If I went to a comparable position at another institution I would probably make more. If I went to temporary jobs I would probably make less. I already have all necessary funds saved for my 2011 trip (this includes all costs while on the trail, money for gear, and enough to pay my mortgage and all my bills while I am gone).

2) If I were to stick it out one more year and then leave, the only option would be to leave in June. It would have to become a SOBO experience, and honestly I am really looking forward to meeting more like minded people in all of the NOBO chaos.

Adayak
04-23-2010, 10:53
Just because you have an 'understanding' with a boss/job you aren't happy with doesn't mean you can't just stay employed, do the hike then quit whenever you want. Unless you sign a contract

bigcranky
04-23-2010, 11:22
"Relatively employable" and "certified in 40 states" only means anything if you are willing to move somewhere else. Which you pretty much said you don't want to do. So the question becomes either (1) how employable you are in your present location, or (2) are you willing to move before or after the hike. You are the only person who can answer these, of course.

Two options listed above are (1) quit now and do temp work, and (2) suck it up and do the hike and come back to work for a year.

Let me add a third option: (3) work at your current employer until the hike, and quit *before* you start hiking. The downside is that you have no job waiting when you get back. The upsides are that you won't leave your employer hanging by quitting when you get back, and you won't feel trapped in a job you dislike after your hike. In addition, this will give an extra year to see if things get better at your current job.

If you change your mind and decide that you might be willing to move elsewhere, you could rent out your house while you are gone on the hike. Sure, it'll still have tenants when you get home -- you can either get an apartment for the rest of the lease term, or sell the house and move elsewhere. But having some rental income may help with the finances of doing either of those things.

Tough decisions. Good luck.

kayak karl
04-23-2010, 12:04
maybe NOW isn't your time. your young. trail ain't going any where.

sidebackside
04-23-2010, 12:07
Just because you have an 'understanding' with a boss/job you aren't happy with doesn't mean you can't just stay employed, do the hike then quit whenever you want. Unless you sign a contract

I'm thinking the samething.

max patch
04-23-2010, 12:22
Don't screw your employer; you'll need him for a reference later.

Buzz Saw
04-23-2010, 13:07
When I was twenty eight a year seemed like a long time but at 62 it goes by like the afterburner is kicked in. When my turn came to do my military time it felt like it would be forever, but my dad told me it was no big deal and he could stand on his head for two years. I thought he was full of it but now all I can say is suck it up, a year is not the end of the world.