PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand boots..

ncmtns
10-19-2004, 18:32
Merrell has Goretex boots and waterproof boots. I like them both, but which is more breathable? Ive heard Goretex gets hotter. Any ideas? Thanx ahead..bill

Footslogger
10-19-2004, 19:00
I sold and fitted boots for years and at first the whole thing about "waterproof" and Gortex lined boots was confusing. A "waterproof" (non-Gortex) boot has some form of silicone or wax product pressed into the leather. Depending on the product used, this boot may be a bit more breatable. As you probably know, Gortex is a membrane that is sewn into the shape of a boot and bonded to the inside of the leather. Therefore, it is an "added" layer (albeit breathable) to the footwear.

One thing to keep in mind about Gortex is that the same thing that keeps water out can also keep water in. In other words ...if it is hot and humid outside as well as inside the boot, chances are that the Gortex isn't going to breathe very well.

Gortex is a marvelous product but it does have its limitations. I own Gortex boots and use them out west where the humidity tends to be considerably less than back east. They seem to work well out here but used to really cause my feet to sweat a lot back on the AT.

About the best application I've seen for Gortex in footwear is with the low cut trail shoes. By the very nature of being low cut, this type of footwear is cooler plus ... the Gortex is great a shedding "casual" moisture on the brush and grass in the morning.

Anyhew ...that's what I have to offer in response to your question.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SavageLlama
10-19-2004, 19:53
Ditch the boots and get some trail runners.

ncmtns
10-19-2004, 20:03
thanx for the imput. Im looking now at Merrell Mesa Mids. Very light weight and very breathable, more fabric than leather. Figure on using Seal Skins for those very wet hikes. Need the high tops... cant hike with shoes. Well, maybe i will try some Chaco sandals this summer, I dunno yet. Any thots on my ideas? thanx