PDA

View Full Version : An Almost Bear Encounter

Spot In The Sky
04-23-2010, 11:52
I went camping in Shenandoah for one night with my girlfriend. We hung all of our food a good distance as well as any other scented materials. Shortly after we got in our tent we heard a bear walking around our camp, like just on the other side of our tent. It didnt poke its head in or anything but it was REALLY scary, like, I wouldnt know what to do if it did encroach on us. I didnt really have anything to "protect" ourselves- a can of spray mace, a 4 inch swiss army blade and 2 hiking poles. It came back again about 2 hours later and after that it was quiet for the rest of the night.
The next day we saw a park ranger and he asked about our night, we told him, and he said that in the history of VA there has never been an unprovoked bear attack and never a killing by a bear...so I guess, just waiting it out was the only thing to do.
But how have you guys handled a bear coming up to your tent? Just stay quiet and hope it goes away? I realize keeping the smelling things out of the tent are the biggest help but when the bear DOES get that close what do you do?
Also, I WAS scared- is that a fear Im going to have everynight on the trail? I didnt get much sleep and Ive never feared for my life so much.
Any other anecdotes about similar situations?

Thanks team!

Gray Blazer
04-23-2010, 12:11
When the bear in NC tried to come into our tent while we were sleeping (and we had never even had so much as a candy wrapper inside) all I could do was punch it in the nose and curse at it. Lucky for us it took off and we were able to mend the hole later.

Lyle
04-23-2010, 12:14
First off, are you certain it was a bear?

I recall a night just north of Byrd's nest #3 when I was cowboy camping. I got in very late, did a poor job of hanging my food. There were two other tents in the vicinity. Middle of the night (very dark) I woke up and heard what I was certain was a bear prowling around the camp. Lay there listening for about 10 minutes, wondering whether to holler to warn the others, or just stay still. Eventually I worked up the nerve to reach over for my flashlight and turn it on. There, about 10 yards from me was the BIGGEST, most determined, pawing-the-ground doe I had ever seen!!!!

Needless to say, I was very glad I didn't holler out like an idiot.

Now, whenever I hear a sound I can't identify, I just convince myself it's a deer or raccoon, or porcupine. I roll over and go back to sleep, no problems.

Have had bear in camp numerous times since, watch them and I'm thrilled with the sighting. No longer set the adrenaline off like that first scare. You'll relax eventually also.

Spokes
04-23-2010, 12:33
Wow! Glad you didn't set a precedent for the first incident in Shenandoah!

Spot In The Sky
04-23-2010, 12:50
Im sure it was a bear because I heard the heavy foot steps and the breathing/growling it was making. I also am basing this because Im pretty sure i heard a doe come after the 2 bear encounters and it sounded very differently- walked much lighter and more quickly and didnt make as heavy and scary sounds.

Roland
04-23-2010, 12:52
Im sure it was a bear because I heard the heavy foot steps and the breathing/growling it was making. I also am basing this because Im pretty sure i heard a doe come after the 2 bear encounters and it sounded very differently- walked much lighter and more quickly and didnt make as heavy and scary sounds.

Imagination is very powerful. :D

Roland
04-23-2010, 12:55
Whenever a black bear enters my camp, I yell at it.

"Your mother's a SOW!!" :D

They run away, quickly.

Kerosene
04-23-2010, 13:19
You'd be amazed at the variety of sounds that a deer can make.

My first bear encounter was also in SNP in 1988. We had hung our food down the trail about 50 yards and were perhaps 25 yards off the trail. About 2 am I thought I heard something back on the trail, which was more like a woods road. A bit later, I heard a big rock flipped over and knew it was a bear.

I woke up my brother and told him that there was a bear outside, to which he replied, "Okay" before rolling over and going back to sleep! I eventually "confronted" the bear by getting out of my tent, flashlight in mouth, trying to make noise with a jackknife and fork. The mid-sized bear slowly turned to look at me making a fool of myself, caught the distinctly unimpressive tink-tink-tink of my knife/fork percussion section, and after a few seconds decided that it didn't the aggravation and slowly ambled off into the woods on the other side of the trail.

Not one of my smarter moments.

TIDE-HSV
04-23-2010, 13:34
Years ago, at Walnut Bottoms (where else!), I was awakened by a sound which I'd liken to someone burying a large ax in the ground, right beside our ten. That was in the days before bear cables, etc., and I'd made the mistake of hanging the food right beside the tent. The loud "Ker-Chunks" kept up for a while, and surprisingly, I just decided there was nothing I could do about it and went back to sleep. My ten-year old daughter never awakened. In the morning, the evidence was clear in the soft dirt - back paw bear prints underneath the food bag, where the bear had been jumping for it...

Spokes
04-23-2010, 15:18
Heck, some mice in the shelters sound like bears!

Deadeye
04-23-2010, 15:55
Just stay quiet and hope it goes away?

Nope, make lots of noise. I keep a pot and pole/stick handy, make some noise, roll over and go back to sleep.

Bear Cables
04-23-2010, 17:53
But how have you guys handled a bear coming up to your tent? Just stay quiet and hope it goes away? I realize keeping the smelling things out of the tent are the biggest help but when the bear DOES get that close what do you do?
Also, I WAS scared- is that a fear Im going to have everynight on the trail? I didnt get much sleep and Ive never feared for my life so much.

Thanks team!

Go to Bear.org and read the aritcles on the research on Black Bears. It may ease your fears a bit. There are also some awesome video clips.

Bear Cables
04-23-2010, 17:57
Nope, make lots of noise. I keep a pot and pole/stick handy, make some noise, roll over and go back to sleep.

Some bears may be acustomed to the pots and pans banging. According to the researchers at Bear.org try another unusual sound. maybe a whistle and if it is day time shaking a black garbage bag at them may also spook them.

Spot In The Sky
04-23-2010, 18:43
thank you guys for your feedback!

All this noise-making-talk sounds a lot like "provoking" a bear...doesnt it?
But if it works Ill do it!

Tin Man
04-23-2010, 19:02
Eastern black bears are just big teddies, but don't squeeze the babies.

It's generally recommended to avoid camping in a Grizzly den out west... they like it, but you might not.

Father Dragon
04-23-2010, 23:17
Yelling "ugga bugga bugga" like a wild man seems to work well. It's always fun to see a black bear rise up and look at you funny and then run off into the woods.

fw2008
04-24-2010, 00:25
Has anyone read "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson?
I recommend it for anyone considering or doing a thru-hike. I think he covers the bear scare pretty well.

FW

Trailweaver
04-24-2010, 00:46
Every bear I've encountered on the trail has run as soon as it saw me. The black bears are just not as agressive as the western grizzly bears. I don't go looking for them, but when I see one, I just make a little noise and they turn tail. Still, it's a little un-nerving to hear them close to your tent at night. You do need to be aware that those in the Smoky Mountains are somewhat more likely to be acclimated to people and may not be afraid. . . thus the bear fenced shelters.

Graywolf
04-24-2010, 01:00
Yelling "ugga bugga bugga" like a wild man seems to work well. It's always fun to see a black bear rise up and look at you funny and then run off into the woods.

This was the best post yet.. Im still laughing..Lckly I put my plate of BBQ down before I read it..

Funniest thing is, I actually would do this....

Graywolf

TIDE-HSV
04-24-2010, 02:26
Every bear I've encountered on the trail has run as soon as it saw me. The black bears are just not as agressive as the western grizzly bears. I don't go looking for them, but when I see one, I just make a little noise and they turn tail. Still, it's a little un-nerving to hear them close to your tent at night. You do need to be aware that those in the Smoky Mountains are somewhat more likely to be acclimated to people and may not be afraid. . . thus the bear fenced shelters.

I don't think there's but one bear-fenced shelter left in the Smokies - Laurel Gap. I don't think there're any on the AT. Correct me if I'm wrong...

jbwood5
04-24-2010, 06:54
I don't think there's but one bear-fenced shelter left in the Smokies - Laurel Gap. I don't think there're any on the AT. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I was by Russell Field shelter on the AT last week. It is still caged with chain link fence.

For you tenters concerned about bears sniffing around your tent, try peeing outside around the tent. Bears don't like the smell of human urine. You are essentially marking your territory and in the animal kingdom, that means stay away. I've done that for years and never had any issues. A much older hiker told me that years ago.

Spot In The Sky
04-24-2010, 08:07
So are there lots of bear encounters along the trail?

Roland
04-24-2010, 08:11
So are there lots of bear encounters along the trail?

The only ones you hear about are the ones who lived to tell about it. ;)

HikerMom58
04-24-2010, 08:16
Yes, there are lots of bear encounters along the trail. I've read of several already this year from trail journals. These enounters were in GA not far from Springer. They are always after food it seems. One dude threw a limb at the bear and it ran off before it got the hanging food bag. The other one was at Blood Mt shelter, this years. 2 bears ate all the 5 hikers hanging food. Luckily they were 3 miles from a resupply.

Invictus
04-24-2010, 08:32
Bears are afraid of humans as much as humans are afraid of them. I have had many encounters with them. two things i would suggest that you dont do is get between them and their food or them and their cubs. a really loud "GET OUT OF HERE" has always worked. I live in maine were there are alot of them so I have come to grips with encountering them. They remind me of over-sized racoons. just as skidish. I don't believe you will have any trouble with them other than loosing some food if you don't hang it correctly. remember that we are just visitors in their home. This thought helps me to put it all into prespective.

Dave~

J-Fro
04-24-2010, 08:55
Bears are afraid of humans as much as humans are afraid of them. I have had many encounters with them. two things i would suggest that you dont do is get between them and their food or them and their cubs. a really loud "GET OUT OF HERE" has always worked.

Dave~

Couldn't agree more. Have had this discussion with non-hiking friends many times as they can't believe anyone would want to go hiking somewhere you could potentially see a black bear. As long as common sense measures are taken, you are just lucky if you even see a bear. Have encountered several bear in the GSMNP solo hiking. Generally there going to bolt when they see you, never mind the ones that run before you even see them. If approached by a bear, hold your ground and wave your arms or hiking poles and shout as others have described. They are bound to leave you alone as long as you don't do something foolish like get out your food.

TIDE-HSV
04-24-2010, 09:20
I was by Russell Field shelter on the AT last week. It is still caged with chain link fence.

I had it in the back of my mind that there was one more. As of a couple of years ago, Mt. Collins was also unimproved. It's interesting that Russell Field was closed part of last hiking season because of a problem bear.

While I agree that most bears can be run off by the methods mentioned, some of them can be very persistent. The bear that took my wife's pack at Sheep Pen, I ran off several times with rocks - got some pretty good strikes - but he kept coming back. If it hadn't been so late, I would have just moved on, and, when you encounter a bear of that sort, the best policy is just to leave the area. JMO

Pedaling Fool
04-24-2010, 10:06
Bears need to know we are not afraid of them. The reason bears are getting so brave is because we show them too much respect. If a bear is too comfortable around you then it needs to be reminded that he is not welcomed.

The problem is there are many hikers that want to welcome the bear, therefore I think there will probably be an increase in the number of tent-invading bears, but I will still keep my food in my tent with me.

BTW, you can get between a black bear and her cubs, she'll just run. It's a myth that a black bear will attack you to protect the young. Although, NOT a myth about a grizzly protecting her young.

generoll
04-24-2010, 10:18
I've been told that "barking" will run a bear off. Folks here in the south hunt bear with dogs. Haven't tested the theory yet.

Invictus
04-24-2010, 10:51
Bears need to know we are not afraid of them. The reason bears are getting so brave is because we show them too much respect. If a bear is too comfortable around you then it needs to be reminded that he is not welcomed.

The problem is there are many hikers that want to welcome the bear, therefore I think there will probably be an increase in the number of tent-invading bears, but I will still keep my food in my tent with me.

BTW, you can get between a black bear and her cubs, she'll just run. It's a myth that a black bear will attack you to protect the young. Although, NOT a myth about a grizzly protecting her young.
You go right ahead and try that! I have seen (first hand) what a sow bear will do when protecting her cubs and it is nothing that i would care to experience. Please do not think that this is a MYTH! Ignorance will definatlly not be bliss in this case!!! Those 2+ inch claws are not just for climbing a tree!!! One of a mother's biggest natural instincts is to protect her young. It really doesn't matter which species we are talking about here. Black bears are not exempt!!!

Pedaling Fool
04-24-2010, 11:06
You go right ahead and try that! I have seen (first hand) what a sow bear will do when protecting her cubs and it is nothing that i would care to experience. Please do not think that this is a MYTH! Ignorance will definatlly not be bliss in this case!!! Those 2+ inch claws are not just for climbing a tree!!! One of a mother's biggest natural instincts is to protect her young. It really doesn't matter which species we are talking about here. Black bears are not exempt!!!
I have gotten between a momma and 3 cubs in SNP. Not on purpose, just happened while I was hiking; the mother looked, with concern, but eventually took off.

Here's some more info: http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans/39-what-if-i-get-between-a-black-bear-mother-and-her-cubs.html

fw2008
04-24-2010, 11:22
I always find it interesting that hikers (including me) are often disturbed by the possibility of a bear encounter, yet we will drive hundreds of miles on overcrowded highways, or use city subways, etc without concern.

While I do agree on giving bears the respect they deserve, and understand that we are encroaching on them, not the other way around, I think a quick look at statistics will tell you that you're much safer out on the trail than just about anywhere else.

Common sense rules!

I use a bear canister, even here in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast. I find it much more convenient, and they're a proven deterrent / prevention against bears, or any other critter stealing your food.
You wouldn't want to get stuck on the trail 25+ miles from the next re-supply without food!

FW

Invictus
04-24-2010, 11:28
Very rarely does a human ever have the opertunity to get between a bear and her cubs. Go try to pick one of those cubs up! infact show any kind of movement towards them! there are not hardly ever any reports of this because people are not dumb enough to get between the two. I am sorry if I am coming off as a know it all or a loud mouth or whatever but i saw a friends dog after it had tried to play with a cub. It died an hour after that. I have watched on I don't know how many occasions at the old eastbrook town dump, sows going after boars because they were two close to their cubs. I know that stats show that it doesn't happen. Stats don't mean squat when your looking at a 110 lb. dog with lacerations a foot long all over the front of it's body. I will certainly not be the first STAT in this catagory because I am not going to take that chance. Just person experience. You are lucky!

Spot In The Sky
04-24-2010, 12:02
I always find it interesting that hikers (including me) are often disturbed by the possibility of a bear encounter, yet we will drive hundreds of miles on overcrowded highways, or use city subways, etc without concern.

While I do agree on giving bears the respect they deserve, and understand that we are encroaching on them, not the other way around, I think a quick look at statistics will tell you that you're much safer out on the trail than just about anywhere else.

Common sense rules!

I use a bear canister, even here in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast. I find it much more convenient, and they're a proven deterrent / prevention against bears, or any other critter stealing your food.
You wouldn't want to get stuck on the trail 25+ miles from the next re-supply without food!

FW

Its different when other people are involved- they have incentive not to hurt themselves or other and they can use reason- if i bear was attacking me, regardless of the reason, I probably couldnt talk it out of it.

Pedaling Fool
04-24-2010, 13:27
Very rarely does a human ever have the opertunity to get between a bear and her cubs. Go try to pick one of those cubs up! infact show any kind of movement towards them! there are not hardly ever any reports of this because people are not dumb enough to get between the two. I am sorry if I am coming off as a know it all or a loud mouth or whatever but i saw a friends dog after it had tried to play with a cub. It died an hour after that. I have watched on I don't know how many occasions at the old eastbrook town dump, sows going after boars because they were two close to their cubs. I know that stats show that it doesn't happen. Stats don't mean squat when your looking at a 110 lb. dog with lacerations a foot long all over the front of it's body. I will certainly not be the first STAT in this catagory because I am not going to take that chance. Just person experience. You are lucky!
I don't know how often it happens and I'm not saying one should attempt to pick-up a cub. The simple fact is that many people say that a bear attack is a foregone conclusion if one gets between a sow and her cub(s), that's simply not true. My only point is that one should not become irrationally fearful if they find themselves between a mother and her cubs.

Like I said, I got between a mother and her cubs and she ran away and left them.

Nean
04-24-2010, 13:40
Yes, there are lots of bear encounters along the trail. I've read of several already this year from trail journals. These enounters were in GA not far from Springer. They are always after food it seems. One dude threw a limb at the bear and it ran off before it got the hanging food bag. The other one was at Blood Mt shelter, this years. 2 bears ate all the 5 hikers hanging food. Luckily they were 3 miles from a resupply.

Hanging food is a great way to serve a bear its last meal....:rolleyes:

TIDE-HSV
04-24-2010, 19:23

In 1948, in the Smokies near Sugarland Visitor Center, there were a group of us tourists looking at a sow and her cub (different age then). I was nine years old and on crutches with a foot injury. The lady by me stepped forward and grabbed the cub. The bear took off in our direction (she was being fed on the far side of the circle). Even on crutches (I was pretty good on them), I could outrun the dingbat lady, which was all I needed to do...

Tinker
04-24-2010, 20:02
I watched a set of bear eyes watching me take a pee one night last year near Pochuck Mt. shelter in NJ. I didn't realize how near the bear box I was. When I realized what it was that was watching me I decided to be cool, finish what I was doing, and return to my hammock a few yards away. I lay awake for a few minutes listening for noises, then went to sleep and slept soundly. In the book Three Hundred Zeros the author mentions seeing (and chasing in one instance) a bear or bear multiple times on his hike. He observed, from his hammock, bears nosing around other sleeping hikers (cowboy camping in the open). The others never woke and refused to believe him the following morning.
I've heard noises around me as I slept, at first I was as terrified as you were. Now, I just remember to bring my 3.5" Swiss Army knife to bed (closed, thank you), aware that bears are very sensitive to being punched in the nose, and pray that it never comes to that. Worry doesn't help. Preparation (at least in the emotional security of things), does.

GGS2
04-24-2010, 20:04
Bear feeding? Grabbing cubs? That was a different age. I would have been 2 then. No bear stories.

Spot In The Sky
04-24-2010, 20:14
I watched a set of bear eyes watching me take a pee one night last year near Pochuck Mt. shelter in NJ. I didn't realize how near the bear box I was. When I realized what it was that was watching me I decided to be cool, finish what I was doing, and return to my hammock a few yards away. I lay awake for a few minutes listening for noises, then went to sleep and slept soundly. In the book Three Hundred Zeros the author mentions seeing (and chasing in one instance) a bear or bear multiple times on his hike. He observed, from his hammock, bears nosing around other sleeping hikers (cowboy camping in the open). The others never woke and refused to believe him the following morning.
I've heard noises around me as I slept, at first I was as terrified as you were. Now, I just remember to bring my 3.5" Swiss Army knife to bed (closed, thank you), aware that bears are very sensitive to being punched in the nose, and pray that it never comes to that. Worry doesn't help. Preparation (at least in the emotional security of things), does.

Man I never even thought about it from a hammock perspective- that bear couldve just walked right up to you and put his nose right in your face, imagine waking up to that?? Good grief!

I guess I would be more calm next time with this understanding now...dont expect to see me walking down the trail holding a cub though, I think thats past my line.

Dances with Mice
04-24-2010, 21:11
For you tenters concerned about bears sniffing around your tent, try peeing outside around the tent. Bears don't like the smell of human urine. You are essentially marking your territory and in the animal kingdom, that means stay away. I've done that for years and never had any issues. A much older hiker told me that years ago.If as a public service you pee on other people's tents be aware that they may not appreciate your efforts no matter how good your intentions. Especially if they're in their tents at the time.

double j
04-24-2010, 22:23
my first encounter was in the smokies well the only one really. he came into camp and was prowling around and started shaking the cables like he was on crack and just had too have our food,the shelter was full that night so i just rolled over and said oh well lol

TIDE-HSV
04-25-2010, 00:17
One of the scarier episodes I can remember in the Smokies was in the old Peck's Corner shelter. It was the old style, but the galvanized posts on each end of the fence, next to the rock walls, had been bent inwards by about 3" or so by bears trying to get in. In the middle of the night, a bear assaulted the fence, roaring and trying to get in. One guy was packing Mace. He sprayed the bear, but the only effect was to make the animal angrier. I had actually considered carrying Mace, but, after seeing the results that night, I thought "scratch that." The attack on the fence went on at least an hour. It was nerve wracking. If there were any pepper sprays back then, early 70s, I didn't know of them. Off the bear topic, but one of the odder sights I've seen was on a winter pack to Spence Field around that same time frame. In the middle of the night, there started up a loud squealing and caterwauling, which woke up everyone in the shelter. Fourteen flashlights snapped on and focused out in front of the shelter. At that time, there was a good-sized meadow out front, just as there was at Icewater, rather than being grown in, like it is now. There was a herd of wild pigs, playing, in front of the shelter. They would rush each other, knocking the other pig rolling over and over. They seemed to be having a grand old time, almost as if they enjoyed an audience. This also went on for quite a while. I'd never seen them act that way before or since. They're normally very shy, and when you see them, it's just a glimpse as they slip out of sight...

Spot In The Sky
04-25-2010, 00:47
One of the scarier episodes I can remember in the Smokies was in the old Peck's Corner shelter. It was the old style, but the galvanized posts on each end of the fence, next to the rock walls, had been bent inwards by about 3" or so by bears trying to get in. In the middle of the night, a bear assaulted the fence, roaring and trying to get in. One guy was packing Mace. He sprayed the bear, but the only effect was to make the animal angrier. I had actually considered carrying Mace, but, after seeing the results that night, I thought "scratch that." The attack on the fence went on at least an hour. It was nerve wracking. If there were any pepper sprays back then, early 70s, I didn't know of them. Off the bear topic, but one of the odder sights I've seen was on a winter pack to Spence Field around that same time frame. In the middle of the night, there started up a loud squealing and caterwauling, which woke up everyone in the shelter. Fourteen flashlights snapped on and focused out in front of the shelter. At that time, there was a good-sized meadow out front, just as there was at Icewater, rather than being grown in, like it is now. There was a herd of wild pigs, playing, in front of the shelter. They would rush each other, knocking the other pig rolling over and over. They seemed to be having a grand old time, almost as if they enjoyed an audience. This also went on for quite a while. I'd never seen them act that way before or since. They're normally very shy, and when you see them, it's just a glimpse as they slip out of sight...

Man, I wouldve thought mace had SOME effect on bears, keeping in mind you need to be close enough for them to claw you to use it.
Pepper spray different from mace?

TIDE-HSV
04-25-2010, 00:54
Man, I wouldve thought mace had SOME effect on bears, keeping in mind you need to be close enough for them to claw you to use it.
Pepper spray different from mace?

Pepper spray is based on capsaicin (sp?), as in habeneros, etc. Mace is based on a chemical irritant also, but it doesn't seem to bother them much. The commercial grizzly sprays are pepper sprays. The guy blasted the bear from about one foot away, and it was running down the bear's muzzle, but it was not deterred at all...

fw2008
04-25-2010, 16:15

For you tenters concerned about bears sniffing around your tent, try peeing outside around the tent. Bears don't like the smell of human urine. You are essentially marking your territory and in the animal kingdom, that means stay away. I've done that for years and never had any issues. A much older hiker told me that years ago.
I don't like the scent of human urine either. If anyone is going to be peeing around his or her tent, I'll be sure not to tent near that person.
I'll have to deal with the bears in a different way.

FW

jbwood5
04-25-2010, 16:59
I don't like the scent of human urine either. If anyone is going to be peeing around his or her tent, I'll be sure not to tent near that person.
I'll have to deal with the bears in a different way.

FW

Lol... after a week of back packing I doubt you can even smell it. I'm talking about 5 or 6 feet from the tent... not in the doorway! :)

Pee absorbs into the ground quickly. Bears can smell scents far better than any human can. We are in the wild where all animals pee and crap all over the place.

What would you rather deal with? The faint and temporary smell of pee... or the snorting of a bear outside your tent when you are trapped inside?

Nothing is a guarantee... but it is certainly a help.

By the way, you will usually smell a bear as it comes into the area (unless the wind is blowing the smell away from you). These things have a real strong and distinguishable odor.

SawnieRobertson
04-25-2010, 19:20
I was bitten by a bear in the fall of 1951. Baylor University had a bear cub as its mascot, a very unhappy bear cub that was led across campus on a lead by a male cheerleader. I was walking in the same direction on my way to class, and both the cheerleader and the young bear were cute. So, of course, having no sense at all, I reached down and petted the bear on its head. The bite hurt, and so did the reprimand from the upper-classman.

On the trail though in my tent in New Jersey with my big brown Standard Poodle, whose trailname is GRIZ, I noticed that a low growl from her took care of any strange noises, some of which only she heard.

I carry 20-foot bear spray (not the lightest thing in the pack), but the suggested remedy of barking (or growling like GRIZ) sounds reasonable to me. 'Sides, it would be fun trying to learn to make the exact sound that would carry the message.

--Kinnickinic

fw2008
04-25-2010, 21:58
Lol... after a week of back packing I doubt you can even smell it. I'm talking about 5 or 6 feet from the tent... not in the doorway! :)

Pee absorbs into the ground quickly. Bears can smell scents far better than any human can. We are in the wild where all animals pee and crap all over the place.

What would you rather deal with? The faint and temporary smell of pee... or the snorting of a bear outside your tent when you are trapped inside?

Nothing is a guarantee... but it is certainly a help.

By the way, you will usually smell a bear as it comes into the area (unless the wind is blowing the smell away from you). These things have a real strong and distinguishable odor.
Good point!
I guess I'll opt for the human pee. I can't sleep at all when I think (or know) that there is a bear around.

FW

sbhikes
04-25-2010, 22:02
If I heard a bear in my camp I would take pictures.

TIDE-HSV
04-25-2010, 22:05
I don't buy the urine solution. I generally don't go that far to pee and I'm sure, after three nights, there was a goodly bed of it around our tent at Sheep Pen Gap when the bear stole my wife's pack...

jbwood5
04-26-2010, 05:58
I don't buy the urine solution. I generally don't go that far to pee and I'm sure, after three nights, there was a goodly bed of it around our tent at Sheep Pen Gap when the bear stole my wife's pack...

Don't misunderstand. You still have to hang your food. The bears keen sense of smell will pick up any food smells, including toothpaste, breathe mints or even residue left of pans or the accidental smear of peanut butter on your pack.

Peeing around your tent just helps them from coming up close and snorting or sniffing YOU or your sleeping bag.

Hikes with a stick
04-26-2010, 07:17
Peeing around your tent is going to cause other wildlife to be attracted to it because of the salt content. You will get other animals like deer digging in it trying to get the salt. Do you really want deer digging next to your tent at night while you are trying to sleep?

TIDE-HSV
04-26-2010, 08:16
Don't misunderstand. You still have to hang your food.

The food was hung. At that time, I wasn't hanging packs - just emptying them and putting the rain cover over them. Of course we changed after that. I'll repeat - we had camped in the exact same spot for three days and there was plenty of human urine smell around. It didn't stop the bear from first stealing a pack and then coming back to jump at the food bag. As I said, you can depend on it, if you wish, but I'm not going to...

jbwood5
04-26-2010, 08:35
The food was hung. At that time, I wasn't hanging packs - just emptying them and putting the rain cover over them. Of course we changed after that. I'll repeat - we had camped in the exact same spot for three days and there was plenty of human urine smell around. It didn't stop the bear from first stealing a pack and then coming back to jump at the food bag. As I said, you can depend on it, if you wish, but I'm not going to...

I said helps... but no guarantee. Keep in mind that bears are creatures of habit. If they successfully found food in the location you camped before, they will come back. That is why it is so critical for everyone to hang their food everytime they camp. It was not your fault, but probably someone who camped there before that caused you the problem.

Last year there was interesting story about how a bear figured out how to chew through a rope that was tied around a tree trunk (Woods Hole Shelter area, I believe) and successfully dropped a food bag. You can guarantee that bear will be back to try it over and over again. I doubt that even peeing on the tree trunk will deter it.

On one occasion, I was camped on a ridge, not far from Albert Mountain. Everything was hung properly, best I could determine. Yet a bear kept coming around my tent, sniffing and snorting. I got up and grumbled and yelled; flipped the light on and ruffled the side of the tent. The bear went away but came back later. The same happened one more time. I finally went out and pee'd around the tent. I smelled the bear one more time as it came around about 3:30, but this time it left on its on, presumebly detered by the smell of pee.

I'm not the only one who believes this helps, but if you are camped in an area where bears have successfully obtained food before, forget it.

TIDE-HSV
04-26-2010, 08:51
This occurred at Sheep Pen Gap, #13, in the GSMNP. The area has been known bear problem area for decades and it's heavily used because it's such a neat spot - a broad saddle between Gregory and Parsons Balds. The sows pass the techniques down to their cubs. I've told this story before, but there had been many people in the area through Saturday night, but my wife and I stayed over for Sunday night, and that's when the bear showed up. I ran him off with rocks several times, but he kept coming back. After we reported our incident, the park closed the site, but they gave me permission to go back in the next weekend and search for the pack. The question I kept asking was whether or not the bear had learned to chew through ropes, and the answer was "no." I opted to go in by way of twenty-mile, and by good fortune, a couple of guys and a kid showed up coming off the trail and started loading up their truck next to mine. I asked where they'd camped and they said "#13". I asked them if the bear had learned to chew through ropes and they replied that he had - through three different arrangements. They finally had to stand watch to keep him away from their food. I didn't even bother to climb the mountain. Didn't see any sense in donating him another pack. Speaking of peeing on ropes (ugh), that night, down in Twenty-Mile, I sprayed my hanging rope with pepper spray. I've since been told by a ranger that that was a mistake. Although they don't like it in their eyes, they're intrigued by the taste, according to him. Sort of like hot sauce, I guess...

Tin Man
04-26-2010, 10:00
Peeing around your tent is going to cause other wildlife to be attracted to it because of the salt content. You will get other animals like deer digging in it trying to get the salt. Do you really want deer digging next to your tent at night while you are trying to sleep?

I'm sure there is plenty of that 'salt' in and around all the well-used and abused AT campsites. You probably set your tent right on some on occasion, in fact.

bulldog49
04-26-2010, 12:14

I'd rather that than having a bear pawing at my tent. :rolleyes:

Don H
04-26-2010, 21:15
Just remember, you're still pretty high up on the food chain!

Tin Man
04-26-2010, 23:55
Just remember, you're still pretty high up on the food chain!

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/gfo/lowres/gfon11l.jpg

TIDE-HSV
04-26-2010, 23:59
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/gfo/lowres/gfon11l.jpg

Yes, but it's helpful to remember that, without our technological advantages, (atlatl, etc.) the bear would stand above us on the chain. (Where did I put that damn spear...)

daltontr
10-06-2010, 01:44
I had an interesting bear encounter over the weekend (10/3/10). I was just south of the SNP @ the Humpback Gap parking area. I left home late in the day and didn't get to my destination until very late in the evening. There was not enough day light left to hike a suitable distance from the parking area and setup camp, so I drove a short distance to the picnic area near Greenstone Overlook, made dinner, and then returned to the Humpback Gap parking area.

I figured that since the parking area had a penchant for filling up early on the weekend's, I'd just break out by bag and sleep in the back of my van. Everything was going as planned, although I can't recommend sleeping in the back of a Honda Odyssey. Anyway, around 2:30 in the morning there was a loud thud and the van shook rather violently. It startled me and I sat up abruptly. However, I was kinda buried in my mummy bag and being blurry eyed and a bit disoriented, I didn't see anything outside of the car.

So, I laid back down, composed myself, and wondered..."What the hell was that? Was that deer, a raccoon, a bear?" There was no further noises and whatever it was, didn't return. So, I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't. So, after about a half hour, I just got up and changed locations to a nearby overlook and then went back to sleep.

The next morning it was kinda chilly and on the back window there was the perfect outline of two paw prints and the tell-tale sign of a bear snout in the condensation. I can honestly say that I wasn't scared, but it did make me a little nervous, because I knew I would be back country camping in the area the very next night. Plus, that was my very first bear encounter, so it was kind of exhilarating. As it turns out, the weather took a turn for the worse the next day and I was missing my kids a bit, so I called it day and went home.

One thing is for sure, Humpback Gap parking area is a very popular spot. The bear proof trash can was stuffed from the previous days picnickers and day hikers. Clearly, the bear new that it was a target for an easy meal and I'm sure he was just making his rounds. In the future, I think I'll steer well clear of those popular picnic areas. Also, sleeping with food is never a good idea. Bears can sniff out even the smallest morsel of granola. He/she may have just been genuinely curious, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bear wasn't attracted by the scent of my delicious Fiber 1 Chewy Bars.

Lastly, it's important to remember that Black bears are more scared of you, than you are them, but you should still remain cautious and give them plenty of room. I'm not sure what I would have done if I'd been in my tent, but I'm sure it would have been a very tense and restless night.

It certainly an experience that I won't soon forget. :)

Egads
10-06-2010, 06:17
Lastly, it's important to remember that Black bears are more scared of you, than you are them, but you should still remain cautious and give them plenty of room. :)

Fun times. Sounds like you haven't seen the bears in GSMNP. Many have lost their fear of man

sheepdog
10-06-2010, 09:29
I went camping in Shenandoah for one night with my girlfriend. We hung all of our food a good distance as well as any other scented materials. Shortly after we got in our tent we heard a bear walking around our camp, like just on the other side of our tent. It didnt poke its head in or anything but it was REALLY scary, like, I wouldnt know what to do if it did encroach on us. I didnt really have anything to "protect" ourselves- a can of spray mace, a 4 inch swiss army blade and 2 hiking poles. It came back again about 2 hours later and after that it was quiet for the rest of the night.
The next day we saw a park ranger and he asked about our night, we told him, and he said that in the history of VA there has never been an unprovoked bear attack and never a killing by a bear...so I guess, just waiting it out was the only thing to do.

Thanks team!
trouble is the bear decides if it's provoked or not

sheepdog
10-06-2010, 09:29
Fun times. Sounds like you haven't seen the bears in GSMNP. Many have lost their fear of man
zacktly................

Majortrauma
10-06-2010, 10:38
Speaking of large animals strolling into camp, what are the opinions are of hikers here on Sasquatch?
Lots of us in the woods over long periods of time; anyone have an experience that was clearly NOT Ursus'ish?
Seems like if any one group were to see this, it would be long distance hikers.

sheepdog
10-06-2010, 11:18
I've seen one sasquatch, two big foots, and a yehti

never seen a skunk ape though

JerseyHighlander
10-06-2010, 12:32
I've seen one sasquatch, two big foots, and a yehti

never seen a skunk ape though

Sheepdog, where was that picture of the mountain lion taken?

sly dog
10-06-2010, 12:34
I remember when I was hiking thru SNP I just got done eating at a viewpoint and was about to stroll back onto the trail for a couple more miles before camping. Just as I was ready to start hiking a car pulled up with a few visitors in it (very broken english) and asked what way I was hiking. I pointed north and he said they just saw a bear run into the woods in that direction just up the street. When I said "O really?" and unpacked my camera his jaw dropped as I walked into the woods. Kinda funny how some people think black bears are man eaters.

sheepdog
10-06-2010, 23:42
Sheepdog, where was that picture of the mountain lion taken?
I was told the picture was taken in Michigan near my home, but after checking into it, I believe it was taken in the rockies. That is the only picture in my gallery that I didn't take.

hailstones
10-07-2010, 00:36
Guess we all can learn a lesson or two from timothy treadwell,too bad he isn't around to talk about how bears are harmless!

sly dog
10-07-2010, 09:44
Guess we all can learn a lesson or two from timothy treadwell,too bad he isn't around to talk about how bears are harmless!

I dont think anyone here said grizzlies are harmless, most on here are talking about black bears on the AT. When I hiked in Alaska, my bear spray was of the .357 caliber and on the AT my bear spray is a Nikon.

sheepdog
10-07-2010, 15:03
I dont think anyone here said grizzlies are harmless, most on here are talking about black bears on the AT. When I hiked in Alaska, my bear spray was of the .357 caliber and on the AT my bear spray is a Nikon.
a 357 and a griz??

shoot the bear 5 times and yourself once

I prefered a 12 gauge with slugs

sly dog
10-07-2010, 15:15
Well it was a 357 or nothing, I wasn't taking a shotgun hiking and also in the north where I was the bears don't eat salmon so they were in the 500-600lb range not 1200+ like in the southern region. Several slugs to the face would drop that. Also the 1st shot would be a noisemaker to try to deter him.

sheepdog
10-07-2010, 15:17
Well it was a 357 or nothing, I wasn't taking a shotgun hiking and also in the north where I was the bears don't eat salmon so they were in the 500-600lb range not 1200+ like in the southern region. Several slugs to the face would drop that. Also the 1st shot would be a noisemaker to try to deter him.
just picking on ya ;)

Hiking with a shotgun is a pain but I took one salmon fishing always

hailstones
10-07-2010, 20:19
One way to tell the difference,black bear will climb the tree you're in and eat you,grizz will knock the tree down and eat you

Bear Cables
10-08-2010, 00:21

Davenport Gap Shelter still had the fence this summer when we stayed there. Did they remove the ones on Mt. Collins and Russell Field this year? In 09 they were still there.