PDA

View Full Version : Rock Carvings at Long Creek Falls in Georgia

Uncle Wayne
04-23-2010, 16:23
I thought I had some photos of the carvings in my gallery but don't. Has anyone ever seen the actual rock carvings? I once had a link to a story about them but have lost it in my "piling system."

Rain Man
04-24-2010, 16:11
Hey... I remember you! Used to post on here years and years ago, right?! tee hee And I see that you use the same storage system that I do.

Can't help you on the carvings, though. Never heard of any such!

Hopefully, someone else has, though!

Good to "see" you again, UW.

Rain:sunMan

Hikerhead
04-24-2010, 16:30
Uncle Wayne is da man!!! Lots of things have disappeared. Our trail journals that we used to have on here went bye bye. Lots of time waisted doing that.

Don't know about the carving. Good to see you post.

Kerosene
04-24-2010, 16:38
Speaking of posting, when was the last time you contributed from your vast store of knowledge, HH?

Of course, everything that needs to be said has been said countless times over the past 8 years, but I like to look at the pictures.

Hikerhead
04-24-2010, 16:41
It's all been done and said 10 times over. I've nothing more to say...... :)

Egads
04-24-2010, 17:13
I am unaware of any carvings near Long Creek Falls. but found the subject of interest and performed a google search. Found a couple of interesting (to me) pages http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j03anToF4sQ/S214z1bIe1I/AAAAAAAAGRk/dpMF_eZtTG0/s400/petro2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://gulahiyi.blogspot.com/2010/02/smoky-mountain-mystery.html&usg=__NTjCiJ_Jjzcai7L49KdCmNlBeo0=&h=300&w=400&sz=59&hl=en&start=8&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=2wGeLpEQnBlJJM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3DRock%2BCarvings%2Bat%2BLong%2BCreek%2 BFalls%2Bin%2BGeorgia%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN% 26tbs%3Disch:1

http://gulahiyi.blogspot.com/2009/03/blue-eyes-and-petroglyphs.html

Good luck with your search

Uncle Wayne
04-26-2010, 01:45
Hello Old Friends, yeah it's been a while. I finally found some info about the carvings from a friend I shared them with several years ago.
Another friend of mine took his wife to see the falls while in that area. A FS ranger was at the falls and in the conversation, asked them where they were from. When they told him Alabama, he said he'd share a story with them about the "Sacrifice Rock" at Long Creek Falls. While I don't recall all the details, some of the carvings depict a man (one of DeSoto's men according to the story) being thrown over the falls by the native Americans living in that area when DeSoto made his trip through North Georgia.

That's about all I know but I had several pictures posted of the carvings my friend gave to me that are now missing in action.

Rain Man
04-26-2010, 03:32
While I don't recall all the details, some of the carvings depict a man (one of DeSoto's men according to the story) being thrown over the falls by the native Americans living in that area when DeSoto made his trip through North Georgia.

Hmmmmm.... what good would it do to throw anyone "over" these falls? They simply are not that high nor are they vertical. I doubt it'd harm the "victim" more than some bruises. In fact, my daughter and I summitted Katahdin with "Slips" a thru-hiker who slipped and fell over those falls, thus his trail name.

I have a photo of Grass at Long Creek Falls in my gallery, from 2003, but I bet you recollect that.
:)

Uncle Wayne
04-27-2010, 13:55
A friend of mine shared these with me after asking him about a conversation we had concerning the carvings years ago.

Really need more height to pick out the details of the carvings and to distinguish the old from the new.

The first allegedly shows a Native American throwing the head of a helmeted man (a helmet typical of DeSoto era helmets) over the falls. So they were sacrificed by cutting their heads off instead of throwing the whole body over the falls as I originally posted.

CBSSTony
05-13-2010, 08:54
If you hike the BMT north to Noontootla falls, they are high enough and deadly enough to have been a sacrificial site. I have seen several hunting dogs and deer among those falls, and are fairly close to Long Creek Falls. I may have to go explore them again now.

the2nddeal
05-13-2010, 10:03
I don't have any info on the carvings, but thought I'd post this picture of one I took last year for those who haven't seen the carvings. I have some other photos of the carvings, but this is the only one I can get to at the moment.

Rain Man
05-13-2010, 11:34
The first allegedly shows a Native American throwing the head of a helmeted man (a helmet typical of DeSoto era helmets) over the falls. So they were sacrificed by cutting their heads off instead of throwing the whole body over the falls as I originally posted.

Ahhhh... the first Department of Homeland Security fighting foreign terrorists!!! :)

Sir-Packs-Alot
06-08-2010, 16:51
A friend of mine shared these with me after asking him about a conversation we had concerning the carvings years ago.

Really need more height to pick out the details of the carvings and to distinguish the old from the new.

Sorry - read the conversation back-and-forth about the carvings and couln't discern if you were saying that the two photo you posted were actually from Long Creek. Please elaborate!

the2nddeal
06-08-2010, 16:57
Yes, the rock carving photos are from Long Creek Falls.

mudhead
06-08-2010, 17:17
What type of rock is this?

Thanks for the pics and the background info.

Sierra Echo
06-08-2010, 21:19

I don't think i see that. I see what could possibly be a mermaid or a whale standing up.
Did anyone decide exactly where these rocks are? Looks like I need to go peek!

the2nddeal
06-08-2010, 22:26
Did anyone decide exactly where these rocks are? Looks like I need to go peek!

When standing at the base and looking at the falls, look at the large rocks to your right. That's where the picture I posted is from.

Sierra Echo
06-09-2010, 07:17
When standing at the base and looking at the falls, look at the large rocks to your right. That's where the picture I posted is from.

Thank you!

JAK
06-09-2010, 07:46
Here is a link on the use of glyphs in the Maritimes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi'kmaq_hieroglyphic_writing

Undershaft
07-16-2011, 13:53
I searched in vain for these carvings this past April. I stared at that rock for a hour and could not find anything resembling a helmeted head. Neat carvings of people and animals, but no headless conquistadors. Awesome little tale though, even if its apocryphal.