PDA

View Full Version : Parking along trail in Western MA

Leki-Less
04-23-2010, 17:00
Buddy of mine and myself are planning a section starting 50 miles or so south of Greylock and ending on/near it's summit.

I understand there's a good place to park off Jug End Rd near Great Barrington? Any good parking near Tyringham?

What about parking near Greylock summit? The road to the top won't be open at the time that we do our hike. Any other options closeby?

Thanks!

-Leki-Less

Cosmo
04-23-2010, 18:26
Jug End Rd could be an issue for leaving your car for several days. Contact the Quality Inn in Great Barrington and see if they can host your car for a while. The Trustees of Reservations has a parking lot at Tyringham Cobble (which the AT crosses), but I don't know if they want people parking overnight--I did hear 3rd hand of an vandalism incident there last year.

The Greylock Rd will be open May 15th (weather permitting). Overnight parking is available at the summit only--or at the Sperry Campground lot (about a mile off the AT, by a number of different side trails). The rest of the parking on Greylock is day use only.

6 or so trail miles north of Greylock (downhill), the Greylock Community Club offers long term parking for hikers, they are located on Rt2 about a 1/4 mile east of the AT crossing (413-664-9020). They request a small fee.

Cosmo

Migrating Bird
04-23-2010, 21:30
There is also a small parking lot on Tyringham Rd. where the AT crosses. Not sure if overnight parking is allowed. Also parking (fee?) at Beartown State Forest, Benidict Pond. Parking off Rt. 23 on the Monterey/Gt. Barrington Line where the AT crosses Rt 23.

Deb
04-24-2010, 09:49
It's fine to park overnight at the lot at Tyringham where the AT crosses. There's a house nearby and I've always felt safe there.

In Beartown state forest, no overnight parking is allowed at the lot on Benedict Pond. I asked the ranger once and was told "No. You have to go back to Rt. 23 and park."

Nevertheless, I have heard of people parking there overnight. I don't know if they were ticketed or not.

Leki-Less
04-24-2010, 14:05
Deb,

You say "the lot at Tyringham where the AT crosses." Do you mean the Main Rd. that leads into Tyringham, or do you mean Tyringham Rd closer to Goose Pond (also listed as Goose Pond Rd.)?

Migrating Bird
04-24-2010, 16:48
The Main Rd. I personally would not leave a car on any dirt (less traveled road) especially this time of year - a lot of high schoolers partying.

Deb
04-24-2010, 22:59
Deb,

You say "the lot at Tyringham where the AT crosses." Do you mean the Main Rd. that leads into Tyringham, or do you mean Tyringham Rd closer to Goose Pond (also listed as Goose Pond Rd.)?

Yes, Main Rd. You can't miss the dirt lot. If you're coming from the north it's a mile or two south of the center of Tyringham on the right. There are AT markers.

It is a little confusing because Tyringham Rd. is also variously called Main Rd. and Tyringham-Monterey Rd.

The Tyringham Valley area is a friendly place. I wouldn't worry about leaving a car there at all.