PDA

View Full Version : Any good soups?

Bear Cables
04-23-2010, 18:16
I have found that for dinner on the trail, soup works better for me than a heavier pasta/rice type in the bag dinner. Can anyone recommend some good instant in the pouch or pot soups. I have eaten Mary Jane potato soup and will try out the tomato but any other?

Lugnut
04-23-2010, 18:35
Check out 'Bear Creek' soups. They are sold in most super markets.

brotheral
04-23-2010, 19:53
Just can't beat "Ramen" :eek: Creamy Chicken is to die for :D

Tin Man
04-23-2010, 22:52

the 'darn good chili' is darn good :)

http://www.sbamerica.com/BearCreek/bearcreek_product_line.htm

Bear Cables
04-23-2010, 23:27
the 'darn good chili' is darn good :)

http://www.sbamerica.com/BearCreek/bearcreek_product_line.htm

I use Bear Creek soups at home. Love the potato but that's alot of soup in a packet? Have you used it in camp? Do you divide it up smaller and how much water?

Father Dragon
04-24-2010, 00:27
I too like a good soup for dinner especially after hiking in the rain all day. I typically carry bullion cubes or packs and use harmony house beans and veggies. I add bacon, summer sausage, or chicken to them. I nice piece of bread or a bagel completes the meal.

I find carrying different ingredients and mixing them on the trail yields greater variety and spontaneity than prepackaged soups.

Using grits as a soup ingredient works well too. Freeze dried shrimp, a little cheese, bacon, and southern seasoning is good in them (shrimp and grits ftw!). Grits, bacon, and onion is tasty as well as a breakfast soup on a cold morning.

Mashed potatoes flakes work pretty good when making potato soup.

Feral Bill
04-24-2010, 01:01
The Bear Creek and similar soups do need some cooking, and thus a proper stove. Well worth it to me. If you can find the Alessi Italian soups they are delicious,

dmax
04-24-2010, 01:10
I like the Green Chile Cheese Soup from Desert Gardens and a few of their other products.

Tin Man
04-24-2010, 06:23
I use Bear Creek soups at home. Love the potato but that's alot of soup in a packet? Have you used it in camp? Do you divide it up smaller and how much water?

Yes, I use it in camp. I divide the packet in half... and use half as much water. :)

cindellasaurus
04-24-2010, 14:42

This looks wondaaaful!
: ]
:sun

Tuckahoe
05-02-2010, 18:45
I bought some Bear Creek Minestrone soup the other day at the grocery store to try it out.

It is pretty easy to divide into smaller portions, either by half or quarter. If you are one that likes smaller portions try quartering so as to cook it with 2 cups of water.

I cooked it halved with 4 cups of warter on my Snow Peak Giga and an 44oz Imusa mug. The directions say to bring water to a boil and add the mix and simmer about 10-15 minutes. What I found is that its actually closer to 20 minutes of actual cooking. The soup was really tasty and filling, however I think that the nearly 20 minutes of cooking time might be too long for those who are conservitive with their fuel use.

Lugnut
05-02-2010, 19:05
Use a cozy and/or freezer bag cook and cut that time in half

Rain Man
05-02-2010, 21:01

Agreed. I like the Bear Creek "Cheese & Potato" soup. But I fix it by guesswork. Just throw some of the mix in a ziplock. Then in camp, spoon a few spoons full into a pot of boiling water and let sit for 15 minutes. No need to cook it for 15 minutes per instructions. Sitting does just fine,... and it's cooling down so you can eat it too, at the same time. Somehow, I love it with cashew nuts (not mixed together). Eat a spoon or two of soup. Then a cashew or two. A good mix of crunch and creamy.

I used to love the Lipton's Cup-of-Soup in tomato, but can no longer find it. Was great for breakfast on a cool morning, or dinner.

Rain:sunMan

medicjimr
05-02-2010, 21:09
I have wild leek and potato soup in dehydrator now. I love soup on those chilly damp days on the trail

RayBan
05-03-2010, 00:31
I enjoy Nile Spice Split Pea and the CousCous variety ($1.39 each @ Marsh; available on-line for less) mixed with instant potato flakes, some kind of cheese (even dried parmesan, like Kraft) and powdered milk; the combination creates a savory, extremely nutritious meal WELL BELOW the cost of many other "ready made" products.

Dicentra
05-05-2010, 15:52
Instant Miso. I get mine at Trader Joes.

gaineskj
05-05-2010, 16:18
bear creek tortilla soup is my absolute favorite. i like to let it sit and it can get to a real thick almost-gravy consistency. there's lots of "stuff" in it so it's a nice hot hearty dinner after a long hike. really hits the spot.

srestrepo
05-05-2010, 16:39
ummm none of the stores in my neck of the woods carry this bear creek stuff... i dont have a dehydrator and the only soups out here are those lipton chicken noodle... and while those are good on a chilly day, they got old quick for me.. any one have any other suggestions...

Tuckahoe
05-05-2010, 18:02
Srestrepo, follow the link that was posted by Tin Man in post #4 and you can order the Brear Creek brand soups on line.

vonfrick
05-05-2010, 18:09
I bought some Bear Creek Minestrone soup the other day at the grocery store to try it out.

It is pretty easy to divide into smaller portions, either by half or quarter. If you are one that likes smaller portions try quartering so as to cook it with 2 cups of water.

I cooked it halved with 4 cups of warter on my Snow Peak Giga and an 44oz Imusa mug. The directions say to bring water to a boil and add the mix and simmer about 10-15 minutes. What I found is that its actually closer to 20 minutes of actual cooking. The soup was really tasty and filling, however I think that the nearly 20 minutes of cooking time might be too long for those who are conservitive with their fuel use.

agree with nuglet...no need to cook...just cozy

ummm none of the stores in my neck of the woods carry this bear creek stuff... i dont have a dehydrator and the only soups out here are those lipton chicken noodle... and while those are good on a chilly day, they got old quick for me.. any one have any other suggestions...
ok where the heck is chicopee?? bc we got all kinds of it here in the boston surround.

Rain Man
05-05-2010, 19:28
I tried another good one today. Uncle Ben's "Hearty Soup" mix. This one was broccoli, cheese, and rice. It was a good mixture of "soupy" and "substance." I enjoyed it, but on the trail would only use half the mix at a time. Scan of box front below. Also, it was very lightweight.

Rain:sunMan

mmais68569
05-05-2010, 19:46
Here is a site with a variety of Nile spice soups. I have not tried any yet but will soon.
Mike
http://nilespice.elsstore.com/

Connie
05-05-2010, 20:39
I tried that Bear Creek Potato Soup, using one-fourth package in a 20 oz GSI Minimalist with the neoprene cover in place, add hot water, lid on (vest over that).

15-20 minutes later, really good soup.

The next time I had the potato soup, I had found asparagus. I cut up the asparagus, and put it in at the same time. Man, that is good eating.

Lellers
05-05-2010, 21:01
If you dehydrate your own food, you can come up with lots of great instant soups. My fave is roasted butternut squash soup. I also like the Bear Creek soups. Adding bacon bits and cheese to it really makes it delish. I second the sitting versus simmering option. I get my soup started, turn off the stove and set up my tent. By the time I've got everything in order for the night, soup is done.

You might also check out your local ethnic groceries. Our Asian market has tons of great instant soups in little tube-shaped packages. I'd tell you the name of the brand, but it's all in Korean lettering, and I have no idea what it actually says. We also have a local German grocer who sells some good instant potato dumpling soups, as well.

fw2008
05-05-2010, 22:24
I always enjoyed many of the Ramen soups. But I'm going to try the Bear Creek now that I know about it:)

FW

Tinker
05-05-2010, 22:27

So true. Ramen will beat YOU! ;)

Enough salt to treat I95 in Maine during a blizzard!

My soups are generally Lipton's dinners when I added too much water by mistake :o.

fw2008
05-05-2010, 22:30
I found out early in my backpacking experiences that the grocery store is the best place to find the best backpacking food. On my first trip, I bought pre-packaged backpacking food from a local outdoor store, and paid a lot of $$ for them. I was very disappointed with what I got for that money. I could have bought 4x that amount in the supermarket (and at least 2x in the specialty grocery store).

I had one chicken dish that I still remember 10 years later. It literally tasted like cardboard; and yes; I do know what cardboard tastes like :D

FW

GalHikingTheGap
05-10-2010, 22:51
I found these two dehydrated soups at Ollie's in Allentown, PA by Fantastic Foods:

New England Mock Chicken Noodle (New England): A tasty vegetarian version of the American classic, this soup is chock full of noodles, carrots, and celery in a carefully crafted mock chicken-flavored broth. Just add water or give this traditional soup a Mediterranean touch by stirring in white beans, parsley, and pesto.

Blarney Stone Creamy Potato (Ireland): Simply add milk to this potato soup mix and enjoy a creamy, dreamy trip to the Emerald Isle. This soup features a delicious blend of diced potatoes generously seasoned with onions and leeks. Add sour cream, green onion, and vegetarian bacon bits and transform this Irish classic into an American favorite – yummy and filling baked potato soup!

They each make 8 servings, so I'll divide and devour. They also ask for 20 minutes of simmering, but seems like "steeping" for 20 minutes will do the job, too? They seem to be discontinued so check your neck of the woods.

L

Bear Cables
05-11-2010, 00:34
I did find Niles Spice soups and a web site where I could order in packs of 3. Tried the potato and it was good. Just add 1 cup of boiling water stir and sit for 5 min. The paper cup it comes in is bulky so I will repack in a ziplock then just mix in my mug.

sarbar
05-11-2010, 15:46
Nile Spice and other similar brands of soup-in-a-cup are good if you make them and also make a bag of rice or couscous, then top the carb with the soup. Makes it heartier and fills you up. Back in college (which was fer-ever ago) I lived on that :D and it became a lunch staple for me when hiking for many years.

Jack Tarlin
05-11-2010, 15:52
I've really enjoyed all the instant soups from a company called Thai Kitchen.

They're kinda like designer Ramen.

Many large supermarkets carry these, as do some of the better Outfitters like Bluff Mtn. in Hot Springs.

I think their address is www.thaikitchen.com if you're interested.

veteran
05-11-2010, 17:18
Wylers Mrs Grass has some good soup mixes.

http://www.wylers.com/Gdetails/mg_products.aspx

vonfrick
05-11-2010, 17:25
I've really enjoyed all the instant soups from a company called Thai Kitchen.

They're kinda like designer Ramen.

Many large supermarkets carry these, as do some of the better Outfitters like Bluff Mtn. in Hot Springs.

I think their address is www.thaikitchen.com (http://www.thaikitchen.com) if you're interested.

just an fyi for the men who are likely to never set foot in this particular store. last time i was in a Christmas Tree Shop, a chain that seems to exist only in new england, they had the single serve thai kitchen soups in styro bowls for $1. at the regular grocery they're at least $1.99. the hot and sour was the bomb.

they also carry the bear creek soups way cheaper.

JAK
06-10-2010, 09:27
I make my soups up as I go along. Usually something like a cheap dry vegetable soup mix with some extra lentils thrown in, and maybe some wood sorrel. Maybe a pouch of tuna thrown in, or a bag of noodles, or some torn up jerky. I don't usually bring 'fancy' stuff like tuna and noodles, except when I hike with my daughter. A pouch of tuna mixed in with a bag of noodles with chicken broth powder is still her favourite. I guess we should try and move on. This summer I'll encourage her to try something new and see what she comes up with. She is 10 going on 11.

Elder
06-10-2010, 11:09
I am highly reactive to MSG. Many prepacks include MSG..
Anybody know of good ones without?

Thanks

Edie
06-10-2010, 18:23
Bear Creek soups are good. Never a fan of Ramen...too many reminders of days when I had to eat it because it cost less than a dollar.

vonfrick
06-10-2010, 19:17
Bear Creek soups are good. Never a fan of Ramen...too many reminders of days when I had to eat it because it cost less than a dollar.

agreed...can never eat oatmeal again for the same reason

sarbar
06-10-2010, 20:32
I am highly reactive to MSG. Many prepacks include MSG..
Anybody know of good ones without?

Thanks

Haunt natural food grocery stores. There are options out there.

Terraducky
06-10-2010, 22:22
Some of our favorite soups are from Tast Adventure. Found them in Wegmans, but you can order online:
www.tasteadventure.com
My husband is celiac so the ingredients have to be ok for him...we love the Pea Soup, and add a single serving of Spam, all chopped up. More than enough for the 2 of us. They also make a terrifid corn chowder, and a black bean version. YUM. I always make sure we have a couple of these around to take with us for an easy and filling meal on the trail!