PDA

View Full Version : Poor moose

Lone Wolf
10-19-2004, 18:39
http://www.news-miner.com/Stories/0,1413,113~7244~2474424,00.html

Tha Wookie
10-19-2004, 22:56
wolf I didn't know you were so sensitive. "You're not one of those PETA whack-jobs", are you?

If you think that's bad, you should see what many cell towers do to birds:

http://www.earthisland.org/eijournal/new_articles.cfm?articleID=645&journalID=66

Poor moose

Noggin
10-19-2004, 23:35
He might of had an impressive spread of antlers, but I doubt we can say the same about his brain -

"The prevailing theory is that the moose came across the sagging and swaying wires and, in a testosterone-filled moment, decided to challenge the power line to a fight, as bull moose are known to do during the rut, or mating season."

Hammock Hanger
10-19-2004, 23:40
The moose lives through hanging by his antlers only to be killed... Not a member of PETA but definitely a sympathizer. Sue/HH

Noggin
10-19-2004, 23:46
HH what's up with the small print, you typing with a moose brain? :bse

Hammock Hanger
10-19-2004, 23:52
HH what's up with the small print, you typing with a moose brain? :bse
Not even sure how I did that... Yeap, must be moose brain at work! :jump Sue/HH

HikeLite
10-20-2004, 10:19
Some of the PETA stances seem rather extreme, but not all of them when you think about how many animals do get abused. After a brother in law beat to death my fathers dog, I started thinking differently.

Flash Hand
10-20-2004, 10:50
wolf I didn't know you were so sensitive. "You're not one of those PETA whack-jobs", are you?

If you think that's bad, you should see what many cell towers do to birds:

http://www.earthisland.org/eijournal/new_articles.cfm?articleID=645&journalID=66

Poor moose

just wondering, if not for tower being built that high, wires buried in the ground, cat trained not to kill birds, et al., and we will have high rate of bird dropping on everyone's head.

Flash Hand :jump

Tha Wookie
10-20-2004, 10:57
just wondering, if not for tower being built that high, wires buried in the ground, cat trained not to kill birds, et al., and we will have high rate of bird dropping on everyone's head.

Flash Hand
Better bird droppings than Moose!

I have nothing against PETA, those were wolf's words from long ago that i suddenly remembered from one of his one-liners.

Lone Wolf
10-20-2004, 12:02
PETA sucks.
http://0pz.thisportal.com/PETA.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2810031.stm

ripple
10-20-2004, 13:06
Some of the PETA stances seem rather extreme.

Some? I believe the proper wording would be..... almost all of.... etc etc

HikeLite
10-20-2004, 21:20
Ripple, I was trying to be diplomatic, but you are correcta.

anotherbassman
10-20-2004, 22:42
I am a vegan. I am very active in animal rights. I am not a dick about it. If someone wants to eat meat, that is their choice. I have my beliefs and that is just what they are. There are very few things that I would actually get upset with someone else for. I will say this though, PETA SUCKS. Here are some statics, purely from an Animal Rights standpoint.

In a 1992 report by the NCIB, National Charities Investigation Bureau, PETA spent 42% of its organizational expenses on fundraising. Only 20% on actual research and investigation in to animal cruelty.
More current reports examining PETA's tax filings have shown as little as 1% of PETA's total revenue actually goes directly to helping animals; usually small donations to animal clinics or similar organizations. PETA's 2001 tax filings show some interesting donations:

1. Compassion Unlimited Plus Action - Bangalore - Donation - $11.11
2. PETA Research & Education Foundations - Donations $29.16
3. In Defense of Animals - Donation $71.11
4. Virginia Police Defense Fund, Norfolk Police Union - Donation - $150
5. Society for Abolition of Animal Exploitation - Donation - $150
6. Kalamazoo Animal Liberation League - Donation - $150
7. Vieques Humane Society - Donation - $25
8. SNAP - Donation - $50,000

PETA's donations totaled only $206,655.58, but they had a total revenue of almost $14 Million.

PETA spent the following on

1. PETA TV - Expense - $13,268.84
2. Electronic equipment, computers, cameras - Expense- $33,869.24
3. Automobiles - Expense - $148,362.02
4. SNAP Vehicle - Expense - $150,000.00
5. Buildings and improvements - Expense - $295,101.60 (After a $195,000 donation of property)
6. Land - Expense - 94,170.00

It makes one ask the questions, what is PETA really about? Why do they choose to spend more money on promoting themselves than actually helping animals?
In 1999, PETA euthanized 1,325 of the 2,103 animals it took. PETA claimed that euthanizing the cats was much kinder than leaving them in the streets. PETA made the statement that a quick painless death is much better than a slow painful one. However, when hunters or farmers talk of quick painless ways of killing animals, PETA calls them barbarians and claim no animal death is justified.

As for the moose, I think they shoudl have spent less time worrying abotu the meat, and more time worrying about the moose. Regardless, this just reiterates the fact that mooses are, pound for pound, one of the stupidest animals on earth.

Pencil Pusher
10-21-2004, 03:11
Do you have a web link for the above information?

anotherbassman
10-22-2004, 00:24
I am sorry, I dont have a web source. I will see if I can get some more current information though. In my opinion, PETA spends a lot of money making people aware of AR issues, and a very small amount of money actually supporting Animal Rights. I mean, I am not completely against PETA, I just think there are a lot better AR groups out there who do a lot better job educating people, and they dont have to use sex and scare tactics to sell there point.

BooBoo
10-22-2004, 00:57
I'm an animal lover too. I love animals broiled,fryed,braised,BBQed,boiled,roasted. i love animals. Hmmmm....I wonder what moose meat tastes like? 1,000 plus pounds.You'd need alot of KC MasterPiece for that one! Sounds like one big ass BBQ. Mmmmm.....I feel this overwhelming urge to got out and cook some meat over an open fire.

BooBoo
10-22-2004, 00:59
I belong to PETA.

People
Eating
Totally
Animals

sprocket
10-22-2004, 01:07
BooBoo, Those comments are just sick and really represent you as an animal "cruelist". Everyone knows that moose meat and wild game in general should be slow smoked over apple or mesquite, and only then after a good syringe full of honey/molasses......and you claim to be from Kansas. Shame on you...:)

Colter
10-22-2004, 10:50
Personally, I felt sorry for the moose. Bull moose can be very aggressive during the rut, and when he saw that cable moving, I'm sure he wanted to spar with it. (Of course bull moose, buck deer, etc. spar with trees during the rut all the time.)

I'm sure it was a traumatic experience once he was caught. As far as killing the moose once he was lowered down, I think that was the humane thing to do. When big bucks get their horns entangled and are released, they usually die from the stress. This had to be even worse. Also, how would you release a live 1,400 pound bull moose entangled in cable? If you got a tranquilizer gun, it would probably have taken most of a day and then the moose would be even more certain to die of stress.

It was an unfortunate freak accident. Moose are hunted in that area. It simply made sense to end his suffering and put the meat to good use.

Also, moose can be quite intelligent. Most people see unhunted moose, which tend to be fairly tame moose. Last weekend, we saw a cow and calf here in Alaska. They were 50 yards off the road and calmly watched us drive by. When we drove down the road and turned around, they were running off as we came back. They knew we were coming to check them out.

anotherbassman
10-22-2004, 11:11
For all you guys that are making fun of PETA. http://mtd.com/tasty/

Some guy bought the rights to www.peta.org (http://www.peta.org/) before peta could get their hands on it. They Suited, and they won, but the first link is what it used to look like. I still find it funny.

Flash Hand
10-22-2004, 13:56
As for the moose, I think they shoudl have spent less time worrying abotu the meat, and more time worrying about the moose. Regardless, this just reiterates the fact that mooses are, pound for pound, one of the stupidest animals on earth.

I thought turkey is the most stupidest living being on face of Earth?

Blue Jay
10-22-2004, 14:13
I thought turkey is the most stupidest living being on face of Earth?

No, that would be the Human. Very few creatures foul their own nests and no other creature would ever knowingly manufacture plutonium. Other species have wars, but none to the awful perfection level that humans have achieved. Other species have attempted genocide on other creatures, however, humans are far more effective. Even extinguishing those that are directly beneficial to the continued survival of the race. Some creatures might not get out of the way of their own distruction, however, no other species willingly participates.

Lone Wolf
10-22-2004, 14:19
Oh brother. :rolleyes: Mr. Happiness has spoken.

Blue Jay
10-22-2004, 14:31
Oh brother. :rolleyes: Mr. Happiness has spoken.

Correct again, extinction breath.

Peter Mossberg
10-28-2004, 23:32
Too bad for the Moose, but there is a hunting season on Moose in Alaska, so might as well eat that moose and shoot one less during hunting season.

Just common sense.

SavageLlama
10-28-2004, 23:42
PETA sucks.
http://0pz.thisportal.com/PETA.htm

Unbelievable moose story. But where did you get this one? Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of PETA, but you seem to have an unending file of extreme right wing website links..

Lone Wolf
10-29-2004, 04:52
www.tednugent.com :)

oyvay
10-30-2004, 02:09
I bet that moose was delish!!!
Yes, I'm a carnivore an proud of it! The anatomy of human eye and ear placement makes us meat eaters. PETA people should get over it, it's biological.

Freeze
10-30-2004, 11:32
Huh....Let's see.
The moose is alive. But lets kill it anyways, because if it happens to die while we try to save it, we won't be able to eat it! Nice! F!*#ing idiots. Sounds like somebody just wanted an antler trophy.
Yea, we're having rosted moose for dinner! :banana

Freeze
10-30-2004, 11:46
Then again, i don't know anything about what stress does to a moose. Maybe it was the right thing to do. Who knows. I'm just in a bad mood today, so f!*# them anyways!
Please pass the BBQ sauce! :banana

walkin' wally
10-31-2004, 13:00
I am not a wildlife biologist but I think if readers talk to one they will find that the mortality rate on moose as well as deer and caribou is quite high when the animal is tranquilized. The process itself of tranquiling is stressful. Some may even consider the mortality rate as unacceptably high. These are animals that have not been hung from a transmission line.

Tranquilized bears seem to fare a lot better. Each winter bear studies are done in Maine to check for popultion levels and health and the mortality rate for these animals is low or non-existant.

Some years back caribou were re-introduced to Katahdin. Some were lost in transport. I don't know if they were sedated before traveling but these animals are normally high strung anyway. The re-introduction was a failure, altough not necessarily because of the transport issue.

I would be willing to bet that the moose would have died no matter what was done to save it.

Ridge
11-01-2004, 21:10
WHAT is this stuff doing on a site for "A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts" ?????

Lone Wolf
11-01-2004, 21:53
It's an OFF TOPIC forum maybe?

Ridge
11-01-2004, 22:16
It's an OFF TOPIC forum maybe?
I appologize. I didn't read the "OFF TOPIC" rules. I thought "Off Topic" was talking about hiking on trails other than the AT. I'll butt out now.

Kozmic Zian
11-02-2004, 21:59
Yea....object not found!KZ@

BooBoo
11-28-2004, 23:32
Hey Sprocket. I live in Kansas. I'm not from Kansas :-) I think mesquite would be preferable to apple. Perhaps one part hickory to 3 parts mesquite? I think a syringe of Jack Daniels and molasas would do the trick.MMMMMM....... Proud member of PETA

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Tha Wookie
11-29-2004, 00:48
Unbelievable moose story. But where did you get this one? Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of PETA, but you seem to have an unending file of extreme right wing website links..
Formulating your own thoughts is a lot of work for some people.

Lone Wolf
11-29-2004, 03:50
Did you ever think of kissing my a** Wookster? :)

Tha Wookie
11-29-2004, 12:09
:-? no. lol