PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Rocket Questions

Thruorbust
04-23-2010, 20:43
So I just bought an Anti-Gravity 2Qt pot and I'm having some last minute issues with my stove selection.

My brother in law thrued and swears by the whisperlite international. This was 10 years ago and the pocket rocket has caught my eye so I'm torn. I like the weight savings and simplicity of the pocket rocket but worried about canister availability and if it will even work with 2Qt pot which is somewhat big compared to some of the kettles people use.

The international is big but seems to give a better piece of mind knowing I can use any fuel.

Thoughts?

My main concern is if the pocket rocket can work with a 2qt pot and if canisters are readily available :D

ChinMusic
04-23-2010, 20:47
I have a Pocket Rocket and find it to be bulletproof. It uses the most poplular, easy to find, fuel canisters.

I tend to use my alcohol stove more but it is not because of anything bad about the Pocket Rocket.

It might be a bit of a fuel hog compared to some of the "modern" burners just as JetBoil.

white_russian
04-23-2010, 20:52
I wouldn't go with the pocket rocket because it can be pretty unstable, but a canister stove of some sort is preferable to white gas. Canisters are not as easy to find as white gas or alcohol, but they are by no means rare. Look at the Snow Peak Giga or MSR Superfly for a more stable stove as well as being better designed in general.

ChinMusic
04-23-2010, 21:39
I have read about the Pocket Rocket being "unstable". Over the years I have not found this to be an issue. YMMV

If that were a concern one could go with the larger canister.

gumball
04-23-2010, 21:46
I have read about the Pocket Rocket being "unstable". Over the years I have not found this to be an issue. YMMV

If that were a concern one could go with the larger canister.

I agree. I've never had a problem with my pocket rocket and I have one of the originals. As a matter of fact, I probably ought to replace it, because I've likely now jinxed myself....;)

FamilyGuy
04-23-2010, 21:47
I too would avoid the Pocket Rocket. The pot supports are flimsy and not wide enough.

I switched to a Vargo Jet TI and the pot supports are much more robust and stable. Perfect.

wcgornto
04-23-2010, 22:03
I thru hiked last year with a Snow Peak Lite Max. Weighs nothing. Folds and stores very tiny. Very stable and works perfectly.

I had no issues finding fuel. It was plentiful along the trail.

ChinMusic
04-23-2010, 22:12
Personally I would get a Jet Boil if I were in the market for a new stove.

It is quick and fuel-stingy.

ChrisFol
04-23-2010, 22:14
I would take the PR over the Whisperlite during three-season backpacking anytime. If you are worried about pot-support, then look into the GigaPower, weighs a little more, but costs the same and is a little more stable.

FWIW, alcy stoves are my choices-- light, cheap and fuel is available everywhere (gas stations, 7/11, supermarkets, automotive garages etc)

double d
04-23-2010, 22:16
I use the pocket rocket all the time and never came close to finding it "unstable". Its a great stove, lightweight, and easy to use. Can't go wrong with it.

ChinMusic
04-23-2010, 22:23
I use the pocket rocket all the time and never came close to finding it "unstable". Its a great stove, lightweight, and easy to use. Can't go wrong with it.
I don't know why the PR gets the bad PR either. Do the folks that poo-poo it actually OWN one? Or is it some sort of group-think?

Cool AT Breeze
04-23-2010, 22:48
Pocket rocket is a great stove. Fuel is easy to get. Jet boil is hard to clean and you cant cook on a fire with it.

GGS2
04-23-2010, 22:52
I have both the MSR International and the Pocket Rocket, and both are beautiful stoves. My 1qt Stainless Steel MSR pot (ca. 1990) sits really nicely on the International, but it doesn't quite sit right on the PR. Not really a problem, but it works fine with smaller, lighter pots.

As for fragile, I don't think so, unless you throw out the nice plastic case in which case it might get caught up in assorted bag cruft. I pack it away in the red plastic case, and no problems. I also use the large canister, as it is more available, and lighter, I think. Lighter than 2 smalls, that is.

I got it because it is lighter and dead simple to operate. The International is more durable and versatile, but quite heavy. The International is also cheaper and more versatile for fuel, and I can carry much more with no hassles. I would definitely use the International on canoe trips, for example. For short hikes, I'd use the PR, but it can be really tough to find fuel where I generally end up. So I make sure I have enough full canisters, or that I know where to resupply.

Panzer1
04-23-2010, 23:10
I have both the pocket rocket and the wisperlite and like them both. Never had trouble with either of them except when I tried to use the pocket rocket when it was 15 degrees out. I now use the wisperlite when it is real cold and the pocket rocket the rest of the time.

Panzer

FamilyGuy
04-23-2010, 23:38
I don't know why the PR gets the bad PR either. Do the folks that poo-poo it actually OWN one? Or is it some sort of group-think?

No, I think it is that those that love it haven't tried any other canister (upright) stove so then think it is amazing.

double d
04-24-2010, 00:44

Good point ChinMusic, whats that saying, "old wives tale"? Maybe one guy makes a post on WB with some negative comments on the PR and then it spreads. Both of us believe in the PR, its such a great stove, lightweight, easy to set up, easy to carry, etc. Can't go wrong for the money!

Wags
04-24-2010, 00:46
i'd go with the lightest thing you feel comfortable with...

i used a pocket rocket quite a bit last summer and it worked flawlessly. saw 2 jet boils break.

ChinMusic
04-24-2010, 01:02
i'd go with the lightest thing you feel comfortable with...

i used a pocket rocket quite a bit last summer and it worked flawlessly. saw 2 jet boils break.

The PR is def more robust.

gumball
04-24-2010, 06:20
Perhaps those finding it unstable cook differently than I do with it. We primarily freezer bag cook--boiling water in a smaller vessel rather than needing a larger platform for a bigger vessel, like a pot? I'm also pretty careful about where I put it and assure that the ground is as level as I can get it.

brotheral
04-24-2010, 08:43
I'm looking for a lightweight stove too. Other than the stability issue someone mentioned earlier is there a good case for choosing the Snow Peak Gigapower over the Pocket Rocket... Or visa-versa.. ??? I ran into a guy a few weeks ago that was car camping in The Smokies and using the gigapower to cook different Mountainhouse backpacking meals. He was deciding which ones he liked well enough to carry into the Backcountry. He was very happy with it...

Toolshed
04-24-2010, 08:58
I was a Whisperlight user for many years. in 2000 I transitioned to Pepsi can stoves, intrigued by the lightweight idea. Around 2004 I picked up a PR and It is now my go to stove for everything except winter camping or cooking for groups. I still love my whisperlite and it has it's place, but the PR is my ultralight stove of choice. A nice solid performer.

Cool AT Breeze
04-24-2010, 15:35
You can buy a windscreen for the giga.

brotheral
04-24-2010, 15:54
You can buy a windscreen for the giga.

Yes,the guy I ran into in The Smokies had one... It was a small piece that slid down over the legs...as I recall :)

Connie
04-24-2010, 15:56
For cannister stoves, I like the Vargo or the Snow Peak. I probably would like the Gigapower. I never had one.

The "pot stability" problem is the pot slides right off.

That was my experience.

I relegated my Pocket Rocket stove to the pile of other backpacking stoves I won't use. The Whisperlight is in there, as well: Noisy, cantankerous, no simmer.

RYE_TYLER
04-25-2010, 16:12
Just get a Windpro and enjoy the bet of both worlds.... Btw I love my PR...

earlyriser26
04-25-2010, 18:02
The MSR pocket rocket is my favorite. I also have not had stability problems, but it does require a flat surface. Is it the best? I say yes, but there are many fine stoves out there and these threads all tend to be hair spliters.

CrumbSnatcher
04-25-2010, 19:16
i carried a MSR whisperlite in 99' in 02' switched to a pocket rocket
the PR is a great 3 season stove, i have never had a problem with the stability of the PR! GREAT STOVE I keep my whisperlite around for winter camping/hiking and when i use my bakepacker oven the whisperlite is perfect for the job! both great stoves, the PR is less work,newer, lighter, etc... IF YOU go for the POCKET ROCKET you'll be happy! good luck

Thruorbust
04-25-2010, 19:17
Thanks everyone!

I'm going with the pocket rocket and hopefully I'll see some of you out there!

ChrisFol
04-25-2010, 19:28
I'm looking for a lightweight stove too. Other than the stability issue someone mentioned earlier is there a good case for choosing the Snow Peak Gigapower over the Pocket Rocket... Or visa-versa.. ??? I ran into a guy a few weeks ago that was car camping in The Smokies and using the gigapower to cook different Mountainhouse backpacking meals. He was deciding which ones he liked well enough to carry into the Backcountry. He was very happy with it...

If I was just boiling water then I would go for an alky stove-- lighter, cheaper and easier to use IMOH.

10-K
04-25-2010, 21:31
Personally I would get a Jet Boil if I were in the market for a new stove.

It is quick and fuel-stingy.

Suckers heavy for a water boiler though... I've got one and never use it.

ChinMusic
04-25-2010, 21:42
Suckers heavy for a water boiler though... I've got one and never use it.
I usu just bring an alcohol stove for long trips....

OR, I go stoveless, which is a work in progress.

divr6347
04-30-2010, 21:20
by no means am i trying to downgrade the jetboil however a friend of a friend got talking backpacking with us one day and said his jetboil would boil water faster than the pocket rocket always up for a challenge we
said lets try it needless to say the pocket rocket smoked the jetboil by a long shot all that was said when the stoves were shut off was (i need to get one of those pocket rockets) ;);)

i have never used a jetboil stove so i can not comment on thier performance but i have cooked three seasons of meals on the trail with my pocket rocket and it has been flawless i use the gsi hard anodized
cookset with it and the pot and fry pan are both stable on the pr with 8 oz canister works great for my needs

skinewmexico
05-01-2010, 01:43

Maybe it's from the BPL testing showing the shocking amount of CO released, relative to it's peer group.

Maybe it's due to the flimsy pot supports, compared to it's peer group.

Maybe it's due to the pot scorching, food burning, pinpoint blowtorch of a flame, relative to the wide, easy to cook flames of the peer group.

Maybe it's like Family Guy said, and PR owners have never used anything else.

The PR works, but it's also one of the sacred cows of WB, like Thermarest Prolites, the Campmor bag, the Hubba Hubba, and any number of overweight packs. Talk about group-think. I can see buying a PR because it was convenient to find, but I can't see buying one based on research or data.

Yukon
05-01-2010, 08:34
Pocket rocket FTW, never any problems with ours!

ChinMusic
05-01-2010, 10:46
The Pocket Rocket is reported effective by users.
The Pocket Rocket is reported stable by users.
The Pocket Rocket is reported long-lasting by users.

The Pocket Rocket is reported a poor choice by some that read reviews.

Paleeeeeeze

FamilyGuy
05-01-2010, 12:25
The Pocket Rocket is reported effective by users.
The Pocket Rocket is reported stable by users.
The Pocket Rocket is reported long-lasting by users.

The Pocket Rocket is reported a poor choice by some that read reviews.

Paleeeeeeze

Stirring it up, eh? Why is every piece of gear you own the best? You are very lucky not to have to deal with post purchase pardom.

ChinMusic
05-01-2010, 18:06
Stirring it up, eh? Why is every piece of gear you own the best? You are very lucky not to have to deal with post purchase pardom.

Please present where I said the PR was "the best".

Hint: you can't.

Quit being a moron troll.

FamilyGuy
05-01-2010, 18:15
Please present where I said the PR was "the best".

Hint: you can't.

Quit being a moron troll.

Any criticisms of any gear you own you become defensive. There are examples all over this forum.

In fact, look above - you can see it there.

No go back to your bed, call the nurse, and take your medication. The dementia is back.

ChinMusic
05-01-2010, 18:24
Any criticisms of any gear you own you become defensive. There are examples all over this forum.

I have used the PR and found it to be, as MANY others have stated, a very good product.

Be an adult and accept our experiences.

Mags
05-01-2010, 18:27
We are back to debating the qualities of stoves that are essentially the same again? :D

Having used a variety of these 2.5 - 3oz wonders personally (Giga, PR, Coleman F1), I can honestly say that functionally there is no real difference. :) At least it didn't make a difference in Utah where my buddy and I 'schwacked off trail when we had two different canister stoves, or in the Holy Cross Wilderness where we had alcohol, white gas and two different types of canister stoves.

Sacred cow? Naaah..

At the end of the day, the mountains are cool, the canyons are gorgeous and my friends are awesome. :)

I mean really..debating which stove is better????

I did see a cool old ruin today on a hike with a lettering on a a worn box that said "PURE COLORADO LARD" and the remnants of some old hobnail boots (the hobnails were sticking out of the sole, and there was even some of the upper left) . That was pretty cool.... Perhaps it would have been more productive to debate which stove is better? ;)

Remember folks : THERE IS NO BEST GEAR.. only what is best for YOU. I[m glad some of you find a whatachmahoosey that works best for you. And if you are an active outdoors person (as opposed to a gear hobbyist), you may have different gear for different uses. :)

Now get off my damn lawn....

10-K
05-01-2010, 18:33
We are back to debating the qualities of stoves that are essentially the same again? :D

That's pretty much true in my experiene too. I've got a PR, Primus, Coleman and Jetboil and other than the Jetboil being pretty heavy they're all more or less the same.

Squirt gas through a nozzle, expose to flame - *POOF*.

FamilyGuy
05-01-2010, 18:35
I mean really..debating which stove is better???

I don't think the debate is over which stove is better. Instead, people are providing perspective of what they liked and didn't like regarding the PR. Unfortunately there are those who feel the need to defend and criticize one's perspective. YMMV.

And of course, calling one a Moron is not necessary.

Mags
05-01-2010, 18:36
Unfortunately there are those who feel the need to defend and criticize one's perspective. YMMV.

http://lifeofummaslam.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/mirror.jpg

That's a mirror. ;)

FamilyGuy
05-01-2010, 18:37
Be an adult and accept our experiences.

You really should take your own advice.

FamilyGuy
05-01-2010, 18:38
http://lifeofummaslam.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/mirror.jpg

That's a mirror. ;)

God I look good today.

Panzer1
05-02-2010, 13:26
I think one reason why the PR is so popular is that it has been out for such a long time that it has developed a cult of thousands of satisfied customers.

Panzer

longhiker
05-06-2010, 02:11
The Pocket Rocket is the only stove I've owned so far (until recently when i got an alcohol stove).

1. It's light and reasonably priced.
2. I've never had trouble using it even in colder places.. used it in RMNP this January at around 20 F and worked fine. (Though I hear this isnt always the case).
3. I've always been able to find the canisters.. you do have to find an outdoorsy store though. Seems like anywhere in the US (and even Europe) that I've been, there are some such stores near any place worth hiking.

But after these years of using the Pocket Rocket, I'm thinking about jetboil and other stoves because:
1. boil times are not amazing / great .. 6 mins to boil 0.5 L of water if there isnt too much wind
2. With 0.5 L of water in a large snow peak container, I feel like I must hold the pot for the 6 mins it takes to boil.. I really dont have the patience for this. The stove has toppled on me twice in about 4 years.

You might be able to fix this problem partly by using a stand for the canister (you could wrap elastic around it and then put stakes through the elastic) but this wouldnt help stabilize the pot itself on top of the pocket rocket..

peakbagger
05-06-2010, 07:29
I have gotten in late on this thread but for what its worth, this windscreen works well, it noticably decreases the fuel consumption and make it a lot better in beezy conditions. I have checked the temperature rise at the top of the cannister and it is bascially no difference