PDA

View Full Version : 10 Day Section Hike: 4 Straight Days of Rain: Take Dri Ducks or My Better Gear?

AeroGuyDC
04-23-2010, 22:38
Checking the 10-day forecast, it looks I may have 4 straight days of rain, with one day of thunderstorms.

Assuming this weather doesn't change, would you take Dri Ducks or your better rain pants and rain jacket? I was planning on taking my Dri Ducks (which i've never worn before), but began to question whether that's prudent from a durability standpoint seeing that I may be wearing rain gear for a good portion of the section. I'd prefer to have the Dri Ducks from a weight standpoint, but my pants and jacket offer better durability.

What would you do?

Any advice?

butts0989
04-23-2010, 23:22
where will you be hiking and what is your better rain set up?

AeroGuyDC
04-23-2010, 23:31
where will you be hiking and what is your better rain set up?

Hey, thanks for asking. I should have mentioned: Pen-Mar, PA to Front Royal, VA. Marmot Precip pants and jacket.

butts0989
04-23-2010, 23:36
if i were you i would just bring the precip pants and jacket. I have golite virga jacket and golite reed pants and they're great, marmot's are even better. plus you're no sacrificing that much weight for a great deal more of comfort. What are the weight comparisons between your precip and your dri-ducks?

butts0989
04-23-2010, 23:39
never mind i just looked it up. its really up to you, you can save about 9 oz by bringing dri-ducks, but if i were you i would still bring the precip, i mean thats what you paid all that money for right?

Kerosene
04-24-2010, 10:08
I would bet that the Dri-Ducks would get you through 4 days of rain, with the possibility that you might have to use some duct tape to fix any tears. Whether or not they might be more comfortable than your upscale gear I can't say. Note that the Dri-Ducks hood isn't formed very well, and I don't think that the pants have leg zips and they tend to run baggy.

I purchased Dri-Ducks for my newbie daughter for our upcoming 5-day trip next month. If it rains for 4 days, then she'll never join me again; and if it doesn't then she's carrying less weight and I'm not out too much cash.