PDA

View Full Version : Things aren't suppose to be like this....

K2
04-23-2010, 23:54
It's a whine; I'm sorry.

My start on the AT was suppose to start last Sunday, but I got sidelined by medical problems.

And then, THIS happens:

Today, I slipped and fell while getting out of the bathtub. I hit the tub; I hit the toilet; I pulled the shower curtain down; etc. As a result, I have spent much of the day "under observation" by friends; I felt pretty sick for a while. My friends think I bruised a kidney, but I don't think you can do that without breaking a rib, can you? Thankfully, I didn't hit my head, and nothing is broken.

Anyway, I wish I were on the trail; I'm itching to get started.

Thank you for letting me vent. K2

fw2008
04-24-2010, 00:08
I'm no doctor, but I believe I have heard of people doing some sort of damage to internal organs without breaking anything. I've heard that happening when someone gets punched in the back real bad; not always breaking anything.
I guess the organs can get knocked around enough to cause some damage.

If I were you, having gone through a pretty nasty ordeal, and feeling a bit sick, go to a hospital and get checked out. They'll probably want to do an MRI or CATscan to check for internal damage.

I would absolutely not start any hiking or other exercise for a while.

Hope you feel better and get your hike going soon.

FW

Roland
04-24-2010, 02:30
Sounds like a serious case of cold feet. Looking for a graceful way to bow-out after months of talk.

Pre-hike jitters are not uncommon. Just get out there and start hiking. The butterflies will disappear quickly.

OTOH, if you truly believe you are injured, seek medical attention rather than place yourself under the observation of your friends.

TIDE-HSV
04-24-2010, 02:32
Hmmm... They probably need to do dye studies to see if the kidney is damaged. If it is, don't go until it clears up. I got punched in the ribs on the Ocoee by an idiot back in the early 90s, and it bruised my left kidney, but the four bottom ribs on that side were also broken. When he hit me, it felt like his boat went all the way into my spine...

Jonnycat
04-24-2010, 04:01
Damn gravity! (get well soon K2) :D

GGS2
04-24-2010, 04:12
K2, I'm sorry to hear of your injuries. By all means have the kidneys checked: you don't want to fool with internal injuries. People get into all sorts of trouble in their own homes and bathrooms! Don't just rush out the door: the trail isn't going anywhere very fast. I know you have something to prove to all your nay-sayers, but you'll do better when you are healthy again. Use your recuperation time to do some weight lifting--seriously! Get better and stronger, and prepare for your day. You can do it. But do it more slowly.

johnnybgood
04-24-2010, 07:57
First seek professional medical advice by visiting your family doctor . A trip to the E.R. would only be warranted if nausea , weakness or acute pain continue / intensify.

My all means , don't even consider a 2,100 mile journey without being in top physical condition, the trail will be there waiting for you when you're ready.

Also , all this happening might be a blessing in disguise. Are there other reasons that might make more sense to wait till the timing is right ?

Good Luck AND get healed soon.

modiyooch
04-24-2010, 08:04
You will probably be safer on the trail.

But, be wise. Waiting out this coming storm isn't a bad idea anyway.

K2
04-24-2010, 15:50
I'm much better today, no nausea. Of course, I will go seek treatment if necessary, but I think I only strained a muscle in that part of my back. My friend only suggested that a bruised kidney might be the problem, but I don't remember hitting that part of my back.

Nausea didn't occur until an hour after the incident, and I went to my friends' home so I wouldn't be alone if it wasn't more than a nervous reaction. It wasn't, but nausea subsided after I took some naproxen; I think it was the kind of queasiness you might get after a punch in the arm. Anyway, I was real close to the hospital if it was necessary to go, and one of my friends is a first responder.

While I might have some last minute jitters, occasionally a medication I must take goes "toxic", which causes me to walk like I'm drunk. I have to use a can for a couple of weeks until this side effect subsides. Although I was careful, this contributed to my fall.

Anyway, I've put up with medical problems and frustrations for years; most of the time, I'm of the opinion; "Well, that's the way it is; deal with it." But I indulged in some self-pity yesterday.

In the light of day, I wish I hadn't posted this.:o

I'll get on the trail some this year; it's just been reduced to a section hike. In fact, if weather permits, I will be hiking tomorrow with friends; I'm definitely taking the hiking poles.

I'm OK; don't worry. :sun

Thank you for your feedback and concern. K2

Roland
04-24-2010, 16:57
K2,

Glad to hear you're feeling much better today and will be hiking tomorrow. Thru-hike or section-hike, it's all good.

tortoise1
04-24-2010, 17:06
It's not to late. You have time. Heal up, look at it this way, you won't be fighting for camping spots like you would during the mad rush. The Southern part of the AT is awesome to see bloom in the spring. Through hike, or a real long section hike. Both great. Hope you feel better.

DapperD
04-24-2010, 17:38
It's a whine; I'm sorry.

My start on the AT was suppose to start last Sunday, but I got sidelined by medical problems.

And then, THIS happens:

Today, I slipped and fell while getting out of the bathtub. I hit the tub; I hit the toilet; I pulled the shower curtain down; etc. As a result, I have spent much of the day "under observation" by friends; I felt pretty sick for a while. My friends think I bruised a kidney, but I don't think you can do that without breaking a rib, can you? Thankfully, I didn't hit my head, and nothing is broken.

Anyway, I wish I were on the trail; I'm itching to get started.

Thank you for letting me vent. K2I guess this is just one more instance proving the bathroom is truly the most dangerous room in the house! :( Good luck

The Old Fhart
04-24-2010, 19:11
K2-"It's a whine; I'm sorry. My start on the AT was suppose to start last Sunday, but I got sidelined by medical problems."I can commiserate with you. After my ankle operation 2 days ago I'll be in a cast for several months. I look at the positive side that it just gives me more time to spend on line.;)

Tinker
04-24-2010, 19:28
You will probably be safer on the trail.
Maybe, but remember that guy who, just a few weeks ago, slipped on the stairs coming down from the privy and hurt his knee?

But, be wise. Waiting out this coming storm isn't a bad idea anyway.
Absolutely agreed.
Rest up, get better, then go take a hike.

Btw: I seem to be suffering from a mild case of shin splints from my NJ hike last month, compounded by a couple of short but tough days in the Jug End area of Ma. I'm trying to rest up as much as I can, but I work on my feet at a work station all day (kinda sorta keeps me [in some ways] in shape for hiking, but it's tough on the feet).

GGS2
04-24-2010, 19:43
In the light of day, I wish I hadn't posted this.:o
No worries, K2. I think we're all just glad that you're alright. I think the consensus would still be to take your time and get better first.

All the best, GGS2