PDA

View Full Version : Anybody think of this way to keep warm?

ncmtns
10-19-2004, 18:46
http://www.thermacare.com/index.jsp

I have deer hunting buddies that swear by them sitting in their stands all day long in the cold. You can find them at Wal Mart in the pharmacy section.

TakeABreak
10-19-2004, 23:41
I have not used that particle product.

But I have used The Factory, disposable warmers when sitting in a deer blind all day they work great. Which can be bought at wal mart also, I carry them in my day pack and in my truck in the winter time for emergencies.

Let us know how they work, if you try them.

Frosty
10-20-2004, 00:06
Haven't used this - it seems heavy.

When I snow shoe, I carry these:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=1027
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=11266

Very lightweight, and useful.

I've carried them in early spring and fall backpacks, but haven't needed them yet.

I did use them in the Lonesome Lake Hut last March when even my -25 bag didn't keep my feet warm.

Jody7818
10-20-2004, 07:04
I never have seen those. If you're prone to get cold at night, seems like they would be a good idea.

Dances with Mice
10-20-2004, 10:07
I never have seen those. If you're prone to get cold at night, seems like they would be a good idea.

Jody - they're in all major supermarkets, in the OTC drug section near arthritis relief products.

They're made of iron powder. Kinda heavy for backpacking.

Fiddleback
10-20-2004, 10:43
I've had 'hand warmers' around for a couple decades but never used them until this May when I had some cold toe issues in the Hennessey. My Lady gave me some "Mini-Mini Hand Warmers" by Grabber (a pack of two, 2"X4"ea, 1 1/2oz total package weight). They worked -- sort of. They warmed up in my booties nicely but I couldnt' keep them in place over my toes even with (or because of?) socks on. If the extra ounce or two doesn't make a difference I'll take them again for those moments "when all else fails..."

FB

Jody7818
10-20-2004, 18:24
Jody - they're in all major supermarkets, in the OTC drug section near arthritis relief products.

They're made of iron powder. Kinda heavy for backpacking.

I never do wander down the arthritis relief products section. I guess I should just to educate myself for my future arthritis pains :)

No doubt...if their made of iron powder, then it would be a bit heavy.

HikeLite
10-20-2004, 21:11
Fiddleback, the toe warmers of the same company have adhesive that will keep them in place. You could use them for hands or feet.

Fiddleback
10-20-2004, 21:39
Wow! THAT I didn't know!! Thanks for the tip.

FB

Frosty
10-20-2004, 23:03
Fiddleback, the toe warmers of the same company have adhesive that will keep them in place. You could use them for hands or feet.Plus the toe warmers are a bit thinner.

My wife and I used these at the Patriots-Titans playoff game last year. Below zero and we were in the third deck. Not moving, very cold.

It seemed the toe warmers weren't helping so at half-time we walked around to warm up. Took out the toe warmers as useless. Well, fifteen minutes later we realized that although our toes were mildly chilly with the toe warmers, they were ice-cold without them. I had backups and we put those on. Within minutes our toes felt better. Not warm, but not freezing either.

One caveat: They have a shelf life. After about three years, toss them because they won't work when you need them.

janal14
10-20-2004, 23:19
I'm a camp counselor during the summer, and when I hurt my back, I wore them on the days that I did a lot of activities, like when we went tripping or when we would hike out to archery or riflery. They're pretty heavy, and expensive, and DON'T get them wet, it makes them smelly...

But, if you're hurting I recommend them. And they did keep me toasty on one of those cold nights. :)

MedicineMan
10-21-2004, 03:53
when it's below 20F my fingers hurt, even more when below 10F and little tasks like tying up a fly are a challenge--work a little and put the hands back in the glove, warm up and work a little more, then repeat...
The chemical warmers do an awesome job of keeping the glove super warm for those moments of reheating the digits....
I've used them inside down booties before too and they kept the feet toasty until the next morning.
Glad you brought this up, a trip to Wallyworld is a must before next weeks hike.

cakeman21k
10-21-2004, 08:08
Ihave used Themacare for lower back problems for about 2 years, and tried them on a trip to Shen. NP last week in my HH. they work great but are kinda pricey at $2.50 - $3.00 each. Also there is a challenge in getting them to stay where you need them while in the HH.

orangebug
10-21-2004, 09:35
Duct tape.

BTW, these can be a good first aid treatment for hypothermia, placing them under arm pits or over the kidneys to hike core temperatures.

HikeLite
10-21-2004, 13:58
I'd say be careful about using them in places other than directed. At least read the directions because some can get pretty dang hot and they may not be advised to be used while sleeping.

PaddlingPete
10-23-2004, 12:48
The hand and foot warmers that use iron powder come in two different formulations. Both types use oxygen and "rust" the iron powder. Since there is less oxygen inside a pair of boots, the foot warmers are designed to produce more heat with less oxygen. If you use them outside of boots they will get hotter than the handwarmers.

One way to help the foot warmers be more effective is to shake them up before putting them inside your shoes. The instructions say not to, but they will put out more heat if you do. There have been times when the footwarmers didn't seem to be doing anything until I shook them up.

Pete