PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Suspension

Silverbullet52
04-24-2010, 11:40
I'm looking for suggestions on a backpack with a superior system i.e. shoulder straps, sternum strap, and hip belt. I had a total left shoulder replacement last February, so I'm concerned about the suspension system as priority # 1 .

Thanks All

Mountain Wildman
04-24-2010, 12:04
McHale Packs, Mystery Ranch and Osprey may be your best bet.
Mchale is 100% custom made to fit you.
Mystery Ranch Suspension is well padded and very adjustable.
Osprey offers a waistbelt that can be heated by the retailer to fit your waist specifically.

Silverbullet52
04-24-2010, 12:06
Thanks MW, I appreciate the suggestion. :)

Cool AT Breeze
04-24-2010, 15:33
Mystery Ranch MX packs are designed to carry 85lbs.

Rick500
04-24-2010, 15:40
I have an Osprey pack and I love it; it's very comfortable... But in my opinion, the moldable hip belt is a bit of a gimmick. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Osprey packs.

I think your best bet is to load up and try on as many packs as possible to find a good fit.

bigcranky
04-24-2010, 16:10
Osprey. You'll find a lot more Osprey dealers where you can try on different packs and suspensions, than Mystery Ranch and McHale, though both are also very good packs.

Depending on how much gear you have, I'd start by looking at an Aether 60.

stranger
04-25-2010, 00:28
There is no such thing as "best" when it comes to packs, that's kinda like someone telling you what food tastes best...it's a very personal thing.

Also, the suspension of a pack is not just the hipbelt, shoulder harness and respective stabilizer straps - the suspension of a pack, is whatever devices are located within the pack to prevent the pack from collapsing as well:
- plastic framesheet
- delrin / carbon fiber hoops or stays
- aluminum stays
- graphite or carbon fiber framesheets
- aluminum struts...etc

For AT hiking I would strongly recommend looking at the following pack manufacturers:
- Gregory
- Osprey
- Granite Gear
- ULA

Of course there are others out there, but between these 4 pack makers you will have about 10-15 packs to look at, much of which will be under 4lbs, or even 3.

Mystery Ranch, for all of Dana Gleason's talent, is more of a heavy load pack, Dana has always loved "overbuilding" things, and he's the first to admit it. Saying that, he has always made beautiful stuff...just heavy.

CrumbSnatcher
04-25-2010, 10:19
externals weigh a little more, but the load rides totally different, the weight rides on your hips and not on your shoulders! the key is to not over load an external. i will always use externals, the internals are light but to me they pull on my shoulders