PDA

View Full Version : 70# dog on a 44 mile hike?

arinderk
04-24-2010, 11:43
hi all, i'm hiking a section of the AT next weekend - 44 miles in 16 hours - from the delaware water gap to high point state park, NJ - with a charity organization. i want to take my 9 year old dog. she's 70 pounds and in great shape. lots of hiking and packing experience.

though we've never done over a 15 mile day. we've done a 12-12-9 three-day hike once. she did very well.

but what about a 44-miler in one day. is that something too strenuous for a dog?

amber

Nean
04-24-2010, 12:40
I don't think I'd take my thru hiking 2 year old dog on a 40+ day. Wanna test your limits, cool, but an old dog doesn't need it. I love dogs and support them being on the trail but you are considering a one day power hike with an old dog not used to the day in- day out of the trail. Leave her home for that one.

Slo-go'en
04-24-2010, 13:38
Yeah, good way to kill your dog. That section of trail is still pretty rocky and after 20 miles of that, a 70 pound dog will have at a minimum some pretty sore and beat up paws.

44 miles in 16 hours = 2.75 mph without breaks. You'll have to do this at a near jogging pace. Good luck!

CrumbSnatcher
04-24-2010, 13:44
hi all, i'm hiking a section of the AT next weekend - 44 miles in 16 hours - from the delaware water gap to high point state park, NJ - with a charity organization. i want to take my 9 year old dog. she's 70 pounds and in great shape. lots of hiking and packing experience.

though we've never done over a 15 mile day. we've done a 12-12-9 three-day hike once. she did very well.

but what about a 44-miler in one day. is that something too strenuous for a dog?

amber
i don't even know what to say! just reading this, pissed me off! do people even need to answer this question? you will kill the dog,period! with the dog you will not make the miles! the best bet is, the dog runs away and doesn't die on the trail.

CrumbSnatcher
04-24-2010, 13:46
somebody should delete this thread!

Nean
04-24-2010, 13:49
i don't even know what to say! just reading this, pissed me off! do people even need to answer this question? you will kill the dog,period! even without the dog, i'll bet you don't make the miles! the best bet is, this dog runs away and doesn't die on the trail.

Thats nice and all Crumb -BUT...

how do you really feel about it?:D

CrumbSnatcher
04-24-2010, 13:53
this ain't no joking matter NEAN, its just plain sad! i've seen too many dogs suffering on the trail! i usually don't talk to people this way, but this hit a nerve with me.

Phreak
04-24-2010, 13:58

amber
Way too strenuous for a dog. Leave the dog at home and enjoy your 44 mile hike. :)

sasquatch2014
04-24-2010, 20:02
Agreed a dog has enough challenges in it's life with out opposable thumbs don't add more.

yappy
04-24-2010, 23:41
are some of these people for real ? do they have a brain in their ever empty head ? calgon take me awayyyyyyyyyyyy

Two Speed
04-25-2010, 06:59
Enjoy, yappy, just be careful. I was surfing the internet and saw an article about calgon dissolving brain matter. :p

neighbor dave
04-25-2010, 07:15
:-? imma bring my dog ralph as soon as he potty trained:-?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ext8Ne1KU08&feature=related

yappy
04-25-2010, 10:17
Enjoy, yappy, just be careful. I was surfing the internet and saw an article about calgon dissolving brain matter. :p
LOL... so THAT is the problem !

yappy
04-25-2010, 10:28
Hi Neighbor, i just spent about 12 minutes watchg cute CUTE doggies videos...:)

arinderk
04-25-2010, 12:23
perfect! thanks for all the responses. my concerns have been justified, and y'all will be happy know that i am NOT taking my dog on the 44-mile hike. mr. crumbsnatcher - i am not an ignorant hiker, an ignorant dog-owner, or an ignorant individual. should you run into me on the trail (...and lots of luck to you if that ever occurs...), you would see all of this, and agree with me. i am an optimist, and a scientist...and eternally youthful (....or else....). i ponder a lot of questions. a dog has four legs, we have two, and often it is not as hard on the dog to hike a few miles as it is on a human. now, how that translates to 44 miles -- i was just curious. thus, i posted. your posting, however, was quite offensive and the point could've been said more elegantly, if not more humanely. just sayin'....but you are who you are - and thanks for the share. i often get overexcited about limits, but am smart enough to seek advice on that which i do not know.

thank you all,

amber

CrumbSnatcher
04-25-2010, 14:21
sorry i don't sugarcoat my responses on the dog threads, it could save a dogs life, maybe? & it doesn't really matter what you think of me! as long as your dog is well loved, safe and well takin' care of, we both win! right? i hope you & especially your dog, have a great hike:sun

yappy
04-25-2010, 23:32
sorry i don't sugarcoat my responses on the dog threads, it could save a dogs life, maybe? & it doesn't really matter what you think of me! as long as your dog is well loved, safe and well takin' care of, we both win! right? i hope you & especially your dog, have a great hike:sun Right on crumb... keep on keepg up the good fight.

wisenber
04-29-2010, 07:33
Many hunting dogs will easily cover 44 miles in a day. Then again, many hunting dogs will run themselves to death. Sled dogs may cover more than that. If ours isn't a hunting dog or a sled dog that actually hunts or pulls a sled, they're probably not in shape for it. My dogs can hike 20 miles with me in a day without too much effort. However, they seem equally at ease watching Animal Planet from the couch. I've not bothered to ask them which they prefer.

CrumbSnatcher
04-29-2010, 18:39
Many hunting dogs will easily cover 44 miles in a day. Then again, many hunting dogs will run themselves to death. Sled dogs may cover more than that. If ours isn't a hunting dog or a sled dog that actually hunts or pulls a sled, they're probably not in shape for it. My dogs can hike 20 miles with me in a day without too much effort. However, they seem equally at ease watching Animal Planet from the couch. I've not bothered to ask them which they prefer.
how many hunting dogs are forced to wear a pack?

kanga
04-29-2010, 19:04
that's not the point, poot. pack or no pack, taking your dog on a 44 mile march is just being an ass. your dog will follow you because it loves you until it dies. the fact that the question is even being asked is showing signs of immaturity and ignorance on the part of the dog owner.

CrumbSnatcher
04-29-2010, 20:35
the fact that the question is even being asked is showing signs of immaturity and ignorance on the part of the dog owner.
thats what i said!

Two Speed
04-29-2010, 20:40
Let's lighten up a little, please.

CrumbSnatcher
04-29-2010, 20:41
mr. crumbsnatcher - i am not an ignorant hiker, an ignorant dog-owner, or an ignorant individual. should you run into me on the trail (...and lots of luck to you if that ever occurs...), you would see all of this, and agree with me.

amberand i think i was threatend:D

CrumbSnatcher
04-29-2010, 20:43
all i was saying is hunting dogs don't run around with loaded down packs kanga, i know not to death march my dog, she would of followed me to hell and back! LOL

Two Speed
04-29-2010, 20:44
FWIW I agree with you & Kanga; 44 miles is way to much for most dogs.

Next, I know both of you have lots of miles with dogs, so I value your input.

That said I think the OP has gotten the message, so let's take it easy, please.

kanga
04-29-2010, 21:08
Let's lighten up a little, please.
sorry. the dogs can't speak here. since dogs are members of my family, i feel obliged to stand up for them. i don't coddle people when they are being irresponsible. the truth sometimes hurts but adults face it.

kanga
04-29-2010, 21:16
all i was saying is hunting dogs don't run around with loaded down packs kanga, i know not to death march my dog, she would of followed me to hell and back! LOL
ok. i think you misunderstood me. i wasn't saying that towards you. i was saying that the op asking the question gives me some indication that they are not familiar with dogs, regardless of length of ownership.

Tinker
04-29-2010, 23:52
I think a 70 lb. dog on a 40 mile hike should provide a hiker with sufficient calories, but much of that depends upon how it's cooked.;)

CrumbSnatcher
04-30-2010, 08:15
ok. i think you misunderstood me. i wasn't saying that towards you. i was saying that the op asking the question gives me some indication that they are not familiar with dogs, regardless of length of ownership.its all good kanga, i know you wern't talking about me! i was responding to the post about how hunting dogs run 40+ miles all the time.(yeah,but not with a pack) i know you are one of the great dog peoples! i didn't misunderstand you, my responses are too short quite often, and i don't get my thoughts wrote down worth a damn! we are on the same team and its good that someone stand up for mans/womens best friends.

10-K
04-30-2010, 08:24
its all good kanga, i know you wern't talking about me! i was responding to the post about how hunting dogs run 40+ miles all the time.(yeah,but not with a pack) i know you are one of the great dog peoples! i didn't misunderstand you, my responses are too short quite often, and i don't get my thoughts wrote down worth a damn! we are on the same team and its good that someone stand up for mans/womens best friends.

The only thing that could have made it worse is if he had trashed Katydn Hiker water filters too. :)

Two Speed
04-30-2010, 08:29
I think it's been established that taking a dog for 44 mile hike isn't a good idea for most dogs, so it's time to say "good night, Gracie."