PDA

View Full Version : 10 year old dog, GA>ME 2011

arinderk
04-24-2010, 11:45
hi all, Anybody thru-hike with a dog this old? I'd love to hear your experience/advice.

I'm planning to thru-hike the AT starting March 2011 and start with my to be 10 year old dog. She's in very good shape - has lots of walks and hiking and backpacking experience. I figure if it gets too much for her, then I have a few friends along the eastern sea board that can come take her.

- amber

kanga
04-24-2010, 11:55
i would say no. my girls are 9 and in great hiking shape. i would not subject them to more than 3 or 4 weeks. their joints are not as resilient at this age. it would end up hurting them.

Nean
04-24-2010, 12:20
My friend Heald took his dog Annie on a couple of thrus after 10 I believe. She ended up with over 14, ooo miles on the trail.

I wouldnt make her carry much of a pack and watch her close- but I'd say go for it. Lots of dogs love to hike! You have options if you need them.

traildust
04-24-2010, 12:27
Go hike. The dog will tell you when its had enough. Our 14 year old still loves a goodhike but we limit her to five miles.

CrumbSnatcher
04-24-2010, 14:43
my dogs last thruhike, she was 10, but she never carried a pack and we hiked 10-12 mpd or less, but 2 or 3 days a week, she zero'd with friends, i had made over the years. she would relax and i would go out and hike 20-30-40 mile days without her, she was along on the journey but without all the miles!
10 is not old for a hiking dog
but 10 is old for most thruhiking dogs! IMO

K2
04-24-2010, 15:13
I haven't actually started my hike yet, but I gave a lot of thought about if my 10 year old toy poodle should go along. I initially thought about sacrifices I would make (carrying extra food and water, carry Her occasionally, etc. It took someone else to point out the sacrifices she would make.

Of course, as long as you're moving, your dog will too, even if it's hurting. It's paws can really be torn up. I don't know how big your dog is, but with Precious, her size and age would make her more prone to injury.

When I go, I will leave her behind, because she'll hike for me, but she may not enjoy doing that. Just my opinion. K2

tortoise1
04-24-2010, 15:20
I have a friend in Anchorage that hiked the Pipeline with her Beagle two years ago. Her dog was eight, and a little different country too. You know your dog. I agree with most, I wouldn't load her now to much, but, you know what she and yourself can do. Have fun, and hope to see you in 2011.

CrumbSnatcher
04-24-2010, 15:45
I have a friend in Anchorage that hiked the Pipeline with her Beagle two years ago. Her dog was eight, and a little different country too. You know your dog. I agree with most, I wouldn't load her now to much, but, you know what she and yourself can do. Have fun, and hope to see you in 2011.
so you're a expert on hiking with a dog, because your friend had a dog!
have you thruhiked with a dog? you don't load a 10 yr old dogs pack a little lighter, you don't put a pack on a 10 year old dog at all!

tortoise1
04-24-2010, 15:56
Relax crumb snatcher, I'm no expert. Just a little feed back, and encouragement. You a little touchy, Go Hike.

CrumbSnatcher
04-24-2010, 17:05
i'm only touchy as you say on dog threads
if your no expert, don't give advice on the subject! the dogs life could be at stake
not trying to piss on your parade, but a long hike with your dog is not as easy as you might think. very rewarding if done right though! feedback is good after you try something not before, im all for encouragement too! but you don't send someone to a gun fight with a knife

tortoise1
04-24-2010, 17:13
Crumesnatcher. I am brand new to this site and very un familiar with the whole thing. I am simply pokeing around trying to navigate my way through here. My sincere apologies, I did not mean to offend or speak out of turn. Hell, I'm not even sure what a thread is yet. So long for now.

CrumbSnatcher
04-24-2010, 17:21
Crumesnatcher. I am brand new to this site and very un familiar with the whole thing. I am simply pokeing around trying to navigate my way through here. My sincere apologies, I did not mean to offend or speak out of turn. Hell, I'm not even sure what a thread is yet. So long for now.
you don't have to apoligize to me, i wasn't trying to be an ass on purpose, i love dogs and just want them to be safe and happy! some owners get thier dogs in trouble, out on the trail, without even a clue its happening. i had to carry my 80 pound dog once back to a trailhead, that was interesting:eek: i know we both meant well and i apoligize to you if i was out of line. its all good & welcome to White Blaze tortoise1

tortoise1
04-24-2010, 21:02
Cool. We're the same age CrumbSnatcher. Lets say we just shook hands, and it's all good. See ya around the site. Good night.

sidebackside
04-24-2010, 23:29
Cool. We're the same age CrumbSnatcher. Lets say we just shook hands, and it's all good. See ya around the site. Good night.

Glad to see that one worked itself out!

FatMan
04-25-2010, 07:44
Take your dog out for a couple of weeks first. That way you can find out how the dog handles it, and just as important you will learn how demanding it is to hike with a dog, and resupply with a dog.

At age 10 you will need watch your dog very closely for signs of fatigue and injury. And, at that age your dog should carry nothing at all.

My greater concern here is that in another thread you wanted to know about a 44 mile hike in 24 hours with your dog. The fact you even asked that question gives me great concern about your perceptions of what your dog is realistically capable of doing.

But with that said, you certainly know your dog better than anyone on this forum. There are amazing dogs out there that defy the norm. Good luck and happy hiking.

hikrgrl
07-13-2010, 11:13
I thru-hiked with my 9 year old lab last year - actually, she only did 1800 miles, due to anaplasmosis (tick-borne disease).

I watched her closely and when she got tired, the day was done. She carried her own pack/dog food/water bowl/toothbrush & toothpaste.

I've done some shorter backpacking trips with her this season (up to 4 days), but I've decided that from here on out, I'll carry her food and supplies (also because her pack was completely busted after the Whites).

Forever North
08-17-2010, 00:46
I have always hiked with a dog and as I learned with my last dog Woody who has hiked well over 10,000 miles with me that with any dog you can only hike as fast as your dog can go. Durrning the middle of our north bound hike of 2005 Woody started slowing down on me. It was then that I realized my little buddy was getting old. So we slowed down and I gave him more breaks and more food and even more love. We finished our hike in Maine after 6 months and 13 days on the trail.

the goat
08-17-2010, 11:16
10 is not old for a hiking dog
but 10 is old for most thruhiking dogs! IMO

well said.

a 10 yr old will have a much harder go of it, just as a 70 year old human does. not impossible though, as long as you have an "easy out" contingency plan for your pooch