PDA

View Full Version : BMT Section Hike

Mocs123
04-24-2010, 15:55
I am looking to do a weekend section hike on the BMT in the middle of May and am looking for suggestions. I have already done the BMT from Springer to Rhodes Mtn (Just past the first Hwy 60 crossing where the Duncan Ridge Trail splits) and most of it in the Smokies. I'd like to do about 18 miles per day.

I was looking at Hwy 60 (first crossing) to US76 or US76 to US64 (Ocoee). Is there parking at US76 or US64? If so how secure? How is the trail in those sections? Will it be well maintained and blazed like the sections that I have done, or will it be overgrown and a "map and compass" trail?

I have done the AT from Springer to Pearisberg, as well as Shenandoah NP, the DRT, the Art Loeb Trail, and lots of other trails in the southern Appalachians in the past couple of years and and now wanting to section hike the BMT.

Hikerhead
04-24-2010, 16:39
Good safe parking at Ocoee. Park at the campground close to the power station. Trail is about as tough as the AT in Ga, maybe a little harder. Blazed good till you get to Big Frog.

Egads
04-24-2010, 17:18
Good safe parking at Ocoee. Park at the campground close to the power station.

Agree w/ HH

Cuffs
04-24-2010, 18:02
+1 again for that section and the parking being safe at Ocoee.

Egads
04-24-2010, 18:09
Has Hwy 64 west of the power house been reopened since the rock slide? I believe Mocs will need to take the long way home

Mocs123
04-24-2010, 18:24
Thanks for the help! Hwy 64 opened back up on the 17th. It looks like the trail passes through 2 wilderness areas, the Cohutta Wilderness and the Big Frog Wilderness. I know they don't let them blaze or have trail signs, but how hard is the trail to follow there? Also, the map shows no parking on US76 is this correct?

Egads
04-24-2010, 18:50
The trail in the huttas was pretty easy to follow

The abandoned FS road walk on the approach to BF was easy to follow, but the left turn (just before the concrete footings from the old fire watch tower) was about a mile further than I expected.

Take a guide book & you'll be ok.

I left a car at Bushy Head Rd (a few mi north of Hwy 76) and skipped the road walk. I may fill it in one day, then again maybe not... All you purists, I made up for it by road-walking the section north of Aska twice.

stir crazy
04-25-2010, 09:00
Did the section from Springer to Shallowford Bridge a couple weeks ago. 1st day went from Springer to Toccoa River. Great hike. Easy w/ alot of scenery. 2nd day stopped at The Confederate Store and had a cheeseburger. Hot day...close to 90*. Probably shouldn't have had that burger and fries because Wallalah and Licklog kicked my butt. Camped at the top of Deadennen Mtn. the 2nd night. Was going to camp at Payne Gap. Saw 3 bears here. The water source here was a seep at best. And the campsite sits on a logging road. Was a little disappointed and moved on. Make sure you fill up w/ water at Hwy 60. This is a dry stretch. The remaining stretch to Shallowford Bridge was alright.

SGT Rock
04-25-2010, 13:24
I agree with Hikerhead on that one.

Mocs123
05-26-2010, 09:25
We are doing the section between US64 and Hwy76 this weekend. I am looking for somewhere to park near Hwy76 that is reasonably secure. It looks like there is a gas station 1.1 miles from the trail crossing, does anyone know if they would allow parking for two cars over the weekend? Is there anywhere else close to the trail that would? Perhaps as Egads mentioned Bushy Head Road a few miles north of 76? Also, is there a overnight lot at the campground near 64, do I need to register with anyone there?

Thanks for all the help!

Egads
05-26-2010, 18:58
Bushy Head parking is tight but has enough space for 2 cars

No need to register at Ocoee to park a car

SGT Rock
05-26-2010, 20:48
I parked at the closed church on 76. No problems at all.

Mocs123
06-01-2010, 10:48
We parked at the closed church on 76 and at Thunder Rock campground and everything went well. The trip went great, just a little late in the season for a low elevation trip such as this. Sgt Rocks BMT guide was very helpful!

SGT Rock
06-01-2010, 21:43
Glad to hear it!