PDA

View Full Version : Clothes from Target?

Thruorbust
04-24-2010, 15:59
Hello everyone,

I'm having some issues figuring out my clothing. All I basically understand is NO COTTON :eek: But I'm getting confused between the differences of merino wool, polyester, nylon, etc.

Being on a college budget I decided to go to Target to see what I could find. I found a lot of polyester sports clothing for cheap, but feel like I'd be doing something wrong by not buying all these hiking specific patagonia capiline blah blah stuff.

My plan as of now:

Bought Frogg Toggs for rain gear :banana

1 Polyester t-shirt
1 Pair of shorts (perhaps board shorts or some kind of polyester running shorts)
1 Fleece top (thrift store?) doubling as my pillow :)
1 Long underwear (unsure of material, probably from wal mart)
1 Long sleeve polyester shirt
3 Pairs of socks (Business socks polyester/nylon)

I'm sure this is all wrong, but hopefully you can give me some guidance!

bigcranky
04-24-2010, 16:03
Target has a great selection of clothing that can be worn on the trail. Long sleeve and short sleeve synthetic tops, running shorts, even some light wind shirt jackets.

Don't worry about not wearing Patagucci. Yeah, it's nice stuff, but it's not required.

kayak karl
04-24-2010, 16:07
your right.
i was shocked at what my local Tractor Supply had for hiking http://www.tractorsupply.com/ and don't forget salvation army. go to a yuppy area and you'll be shocked at what they are selling.

johnnybgood
04-24-2010, 16:18
Target has the C9 brand 100% polyester shirts and pants that are $20 . I also shop the Salvation army/Goodwills in my area.

flemdawg1
04-24-2010, 16:50
I hike mostly in running-type polyester and nylon clothes, C9 stuff at Target is great.

jesse
04-24-2010, 17:34
Champion t-shirts from Target are great. I wear them every day on/off the trail.

esmusssein
04-24-2010, 17:53
Target has great outdoor clothing. If you are a girl, they have lots of underwear and bras that are made out of the right material. Most of the stuff I wear to raft guide is from Target. Two of my favorite paddling shirts were $5 at Wal-Mart actually.

Feral Bill
04-24-2010, 17:57
The ony thing I see wrong on your list is the sox. Inexpensive, good wool sox can be found at Walmart and, seasonally, Costco.

Thruorbust
04-24-2010, 18:41
Yea the whole "business sock" thing was found from that hiking on the cheap article.

I'll have to take a look for the wool socks. I was under the assumption they only carried the white cotton socks, but I guess I'm wrong! :)

Are black polyester/nylon business socks bad? Maybe use one pair for rain?

Ox97GaMe
04-24-2010, 19:29
I shop Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Ross, and thrift stores when I need/want new hiking clothes. The only things I would go the 'name brand' on would be the outter shell rain jacket and hiking socks, but even that is optional.

I have found that beach shorts work good for hiking in. I get the 'swishy' athletic pants for an extra warmth layer as well as some water resistency.

Everyone is different and has different needs in clothing. It also depends on the time of year you are hiking. Some of the clothes they have are great for summer hiking, but may not be sufficient for winter hiking. But that too can be remedied with extra layers of non cotton.

Roland
04-24-2010, 19:35
~

Actually, you've done a good job.

There's nothing wrong with your list, including your socks if you use trail runners. I prefer wool socks, when wearing boots, but I've used thin, nylon dress socks in my runners. They dry much faster than wool does.

Feral Bill
04-24-2010, 21:42
Actually, you've done a good job.

There's nothing wrong with your list, including your socks if you use trail runners. I prefer wool socks, when wearing boots, but I've used thin, nylon dress socks in my runners. They dry much faster than wool does.

SO, get a pair of wool socks and try it both ways. Whatever works for you is good!

BigHodag
04-25-2010, 19:50
I found some great deals on nylon pants and long sleeved shirts at Academy. Got long-sleeved fishing shirt SPF +50 for $20. Also, $20 for convertible long pants/shorts, again SPF +50. Both are super lightweight, dozens of pockets and include ziplock ID wallet with clip.

I'll have to check out the C9 at Target.

10-K
04-25-2010, 21:19
My absolute favorite hiking shorts are 2 pair of swimming trunks I picked up at Sam's.

wythekari
05-02-2010, 10:33
Out here in California we have can go to Big 5 and get hiking poles for $15 or less or REI where they cost >$75. I love shopping REI but when it is me paying and the functionality is similar - save the money and let the lawyers and doctors wear the labels.

Appalachian Tater
05-03-2010, 00:36
Also check out TJ Maxx and similar closeout stores. I have gotten Nike Dri-Fit (or whatever they call them) tee shirts there for $7. This winter they had socks, hats, sweaters, outerwear, etc. by major hiking clothing brands, and in mass quantities. They must have bought out some wholesaler or a retailer who went out of business, never saw such a selection before.

BAG "o" TRICKS
05-03-2010, 14:04
Hello everyone,

I'm having some issues figuring out my clothing. All I basically understand is NO COTTON :eek: But I'm getting confused between the differences of merino wool, polyester, nylon, etc.

Being on a college budget I decided to go to Target to see what I could find. I found a lot of polyester sports clothing for cheap, but feel like I'd be doing something wrong by not buying all these hiking specific patagonia capiline blah blah stuff.

My plan as of now:

Bought Frogg Toggs for rain gear :banana

1 Polyester t-shirt

1 Pair of shorts (perhaps board shorts or some kind of polyester running shorts)
1 Fleece top (thrift store?) doubling as my pillow :)
1 Long underwear (unsure of material, probably from wal mart)
1 Long sleeve polyester shirt
3 Pairs of socks (Business socks polyester/nylon)

Target is a great place and the bargain racks at major sporting good store too. Wallyworld also has Starter brand 100% poly tees, lighter material, more breatheable than the Champion C-9 and a few dollars less 9.99 to 11.99. Forget the patagonia, mountain hardware 100% polys as I feel they don't breathe as well and usually cost 2 to 3 times as much. Paying for the name game.

Blissful
05-03-2010, 14:26
I got my fleece pullover at Target. Used it on my recent section. Love it.

Windcatcher
05-03-2010, 19:17
The C-9 clothing at Target is part cotton....hmm

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-03-2010, 19:42
Some of the C9 clothing is part cotton, but much of it 100% synthetic. The line is designed for active, athletic people - people playing team sports, running, etc.- so it contains some items that are not appropriate for sports that require you to be out in the elements for long periods like hiking and backpacking. Cotton isn't a killer on a soccer field or a basketball court.

bus
05-03-2010, 19:51
Marshals has good stuff too. Sometimes name brands at no name prices

Graywolf
05-03-2010, 22:15
I was just at Wal-mart and picked up 2 Starter brand sports shirts for 7 bucks..Very light weight and the material is a wicking fabric. I bought some shorts last year with the same fabric and used them on my section hike..it was Soooo, comfortable, and light wieght..

Graywolf