PDA

View Full Version : Hiking from Grayson (massie gap) to Damascus

briankeithsmith
04-24-2010, 17:47
Planning on taking the A.T. from the massie gap area and hiking down into damascus.

I don't have a good map for the area once you get outside of Mt Rogers NRA - can someone point me to a good map or online source that tells me where good water resupply points would be along the way.

Oh, and I'm guessing its about 30 miles? that about right?

I know I can get water at the Thomas Knob shelter (been there done that) but haven't been past Mt Rogers going South on the A.T. thus I need the info on water.

Thanks people!

Brian

modiyooch
04-24-2010, 19:30
Try this for starters.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=shelters

briankeithsmith
04-24-2010, 19:44
That's a good start! Thanks!

restless
04-24-2010, 20:07
This time of year, water typically is not going to be an issue. There are water sources at all shelters although Thomas Knob can be a bit sketchy due to the ponies. There are also good water sources at Rhododendren Gap and quite frequently along the trail from the Mt. Rogers side trail to Deep Gap. There is a great water source on Whitetop as well. Water shouldn't be a problem.

mmais68569
04-24-2010, 20:14
I did that section last year in October & had plenty of water the whole way.

Mike

briankeithsmith
04-24-2010, 20:41
Thanks guys - I appreciate it. I assume there are plenty of streams (when you say plenty of water?) once you get south of Thomas Knob closer to Damascus?

excuses
04-25-2010, 20:54
The answer is yes, lots of water sources south of
Thomas Knob. I did that section last June. Enjoy

Cooldays
04-25-2010, 22:27
There is water all over the place on that route. There is a spring at the top of white top, then there is a place where the rivers come together and also after you cross the ridge there is water at saunders shelter too. Part of the way follows the creeper trail right next to water. I don't think you have to worry about not having water more than an hour or 2 tops at any point and usually less. II didn't carry more than a liter of water ever. I just did the hike from white top to damascus and thought it was wonderful. Next I am going to come into damascus from the south i think. If you go there on friday night there is music in town and they will shuttle you to where you want to go from moun rogers outfitters... a very nice group of people.

Uncle Cranky
04-25-2010, 22:48
I just did the section from near Bear Tree Gap into Damascus last week. There was plenty of H20 at reasonable intervals up to where the trail crosses U.S. 58 on the last 5.6 miles east of Damascus. When you cross the highway there is a good stream less than a 1/2 mile west past the highway. Fill up there if your low, before you climb the ridge toward the cookoo, because it's the last water source until just outside of town.

Lemni Skate
06-21-2010, 07:55
Just finished hiking from Grayson Highlands campground to Wise Shelter and then down to Damascus with my kids. Wow! Incredible!

Plenty of water.