PDA

View Full Version : How to: ultralight golf club shaft trekking pole

colgado
10-19-2004, 22:06
I searched and found instructions of how to make your own ultralight trekking pole but none had pictures associated with the buildup. All were written instructions. I'm a visual person and like to see how things are done. I decided to make one out of a lightweight golf club shaft after getting the idea from a session at the driving range. I know it's been done before but here's my take on it.

Parts:
(1) Grafalloy ProLite 3.5 stiff graphite golf club shaft (~63 grams) $35
(2) Leki Flextip carbide replacement tips $15 for 2
(3) Pipe insulation from Home Depot $1 for 6'
(4) Industrial Strength Epoxy mix $3
(5) Electrical tape FREE

Parts total: $54

I started out with buying a ProLite shaft at my local golf shop. It was on closeout.
http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/pole/Grafalloy%20shaft.jpg
http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/pole/Grafalloy%20Prolite.jpg

Here's the Leki replacement tips I purchased at a local shop
http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/pole/Lekitip.jpg

When placing the Leki tip directly on the shaft, it wobbled and didn't center itself.
http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/pole/tipwobble.jpg

I built up the end of the shaft with electrical tape to help center the Leki tip.
http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/pole/tapebuildup.jpg

I mixed the epoxy together per instructions
http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/pole/Epoxy.jpg

I smeared the mixed epoxy all on the end of the shaft and pressed in the Leki tip. Here it is standing up to dry.
http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/pole/tipepoxied.jpg

I'll get better pictures once the epoxy cures and will work on the grip.

I purchased pipe insulation at Home Depot to use as grips. I might try to epoxy the insulation around the handle part of the shaft. The insulation seems durable enough for use and is super light. I won't work on this until later so I MIGHT end up switching to EVA grips.
http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/pole/pipe%20insulation.jpg
http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/pole/grip.jpg

The next pole I make should only cost me less than $40. I have everything I need. So for less than $100, I have poles that weigh less than 7-8oz total (I hope).

So far..
http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/pole/almostcompleted.jpg

To be updated...

Constructive criticism/suggestions welcome.

TakeABreak
10-19-2004, 22:55
What does final total weight come out to be????

colgado
10-19-2004, 22:58
What does final total weight come out to be????
Not sure yet. I need to get my hands on a scale once I completely finish the pole. I'll be sure to let you guys know.

TakeABreak
10-19-2004, 23:35
Please do, because I am always lookig to cut, weight.

jac
10-24-2004, 01:01
I am impressed with the innovative thinking- carbon fiber shafts sure are light!

I can see a potential problem or two....
Carbon fiber and graphite shafts are used in fishing rods because they transmit vibration very well- you can feel what your lure is doing in the water far better than the older fiberglass rods did. I wonder whether this type hiking pole will transmit shock to your hands more than a Leki would....
Something else to look at: ever seen a carbon or graphite shaft break? They are strong, down their length, but they can break. Fishing rods have proven vulnerable to nicks and scratches- the damaged area becomes the fracture point. When a carbon fiber or graphite shaft breaks, it does so suddenly (and loudly). The break area looks 'fuzzy'- lots of shredded bits, not a clean break. Each of those shredded bits will be jagged, and sharp as a surgeon's scalpel. Could be a real danger if you had a lot of weight on the pole when it breaks.
Maybe a wrapping of tape on the shaft to contain the shards?

weary
10-24-2004, 16:06
I am impressed with the innovative thinking- carbon fiber shafts sure are light!

Carbon fiber and graphite shafts are used in fishing rods because they transmit vibration very well- you can feel what your lure is doing in the water far better than the older fiberglass rods did. I wonder whether this type hiking pole will transmit shock to your hands more than a Leki would....
Something else to look at: ever seen a carbon or graphite shaft break? They are strong, down their length, but they can break. Fishing rods have proven vulnerable to nicks and scratches- the damaged area becomes the fracture point. When a carbon fiber or graphite shaft breaks, it does so suddenly (and loudly). The break area looks 'fuzzy'- lots of shredded bits, not a clean break. Each of those shredded bits will be jagged, and sharp as a surgeon's scalpel. Could be a real danger if you had a lot of weight on the pole when it breaks.

I've long since given up convincing people of this fact, but a simple wooden staff weighs less, costs nothing, requires no high tech, and never needs maintenance.

The secret? Forget all those heavy wooden staffs one sees in tourist shops. They are designed to look pretty and impressive to the tourists. Nothing any where near as big or heavy is needed. My technique? Cut the smallest diameter pole that seems adequate. Then cut one half as large and use that, augmented with a 60 cent crutch tip.

Weary

colgado
10-24-2004, 16:49

Fishing rod blanks are another story. Have you ever seen a golf shaft break? It's a very rare incident. I've seen video tapes of golfer's swings and depending on the shaft stiffness, they can take a really good bending without even breaking. I am aware that graphite and carbon fiber can snap. The shaft I have is classifed as "stiff". I've put my weight into and never heard any crackling sound. I'm 250 pounds and let me tell you, I can HARDLY bend the pole. That's a good thing. Most of you other hikers probably weigh at least a hundred pounds less than me. The golf shaft does not need any cutting and therefore doesn't mess with the intregrity of the pole. I am 100% satisfied with the choice I made even though the possibility of breakage is there although the chances are very slim.

rumbler
10-24-2004, 21:12
I have broken a carbon fiber golf shaft on more than one occassion. The last one snapped right at the hosel of the club.

I doubt you will have a problem with graphite hiking sticks, but I also doubt very seriously that they will be as strong or take as much abuse as aluminum. A golf shaft is designed very specifically to withstand the vertical pressures and torque of hitting a golf ball at high speed. Hiking impacts can be very different.

I am also going to wager that it will snap more easily than a metal shaft if you get it caught in a crack or crevice where significant pressure is applied to a specific point on the shaft rather than distributed up the length of the shaft as golf shafts are designed to do.

Also, DO NOT allow significant weight of any kind to be set on the shafts when they are on the ground. While they can take tremendous torque - as generated by swinging a golf club - significant pressure on the sides of the shaft can easily splinter the shaft. A careless hiker inadvertantly stepping on the shaft with his heel can shatter a shaft, as I have seen more than once on a golf course.

Good luck, I'll be interested in how this experiment works. They will be light, and if you take care with them they may be strong enough to do the job. They will certainly be more flexible, which I imagine will take some getting used to. I use a golf club as a walking stick on hills everytime I walk a course, but I am careful never to let it carry my full weight.

TDale
10-25-2004, 09:48
colgado:"Have you ever seen a golf shaft break?"

Snapped about 6 in my lifetime, steel and graphite. Not from abuse just normal use, "midswing" as it were. They are tough but not unbreakable.

colgado
10-25-2004, 22:39
colgado:"Have you ever seen a golf shaft break?"

Snapped about 6 in my lifetime, steel and graphite. Not from abuse just normal use, "midswing" as it were. They are tough but not unbreakable.
Well you do have 20 years on me. Maybe I'll see a few snap in my lifetime. Again, I'm not saying they won't snap. I will take my risks for something lighter than what's out on the market. I'm saving quite a few bucks too.
Will they last long? Only time will tell. If they do break, it's not like I have to deal with crappy customer service or anything. I can quickly run to the nearest pro shop at the end of the trip/hike and rebuild for next to nothing.

Just to be clear.. yes I know they can snap, crackle and pop. DIY'er beware....

squirrel bait
10-26-2004, 09:21
Does make me wonder about putting weight on a golf shaft in normal trail use. They really aren't designed to bear a load as such you would use hiking. I to have snapped a couple playing golf over the years. I agree with a simple stick, Osage Orange if possible, impossible to break, and makes a handy dandy stick to put between to stumps and drop trou, so to speak. Just be careful out there.

Rambler
10-30-2004, 11:16
Nice job! I would be concerned about the flex of the staff. Would not want it to be too bendy. Ski pole grips can be removed from the poles and could be a grip alternative for you. Padded tape is also found for use on tennis racket grips. On hockey sticks peolpe spin the tape until it gets to string-like thickness, then wrap it around the handle to create depth and feel for a good grip. Another advantage to commercial poles over your design and wood is the ability to change the length which can be useful both while hiking, but especially for use as tent or tarp supports, or just to stow on your pack when you do not need them while hiking. Maybe you can work on developing length adjustment. Let us know how your poles work out.

MadAussieInLondon
10-30-2004, 20:01
sounds really interesting but, when I think of how I used my poles on the AT this year, I dont think I could hike using your above mentioned pole.

you will have to let us know how well it performs!