PDA

View Full Version : camping stores in New York

woolfie and GG
10-20-2004, 06:45
:sun Hi, We will be in New York late November Visiting Family and to sort out and get some final gear.. Anyone out there know of some good camping/hiking stores to go to.. Have Family in Manhattan and Bronxville, so can cover quite an area..
Also if anyone out there lives or works in the Big apple we would love to meet up for drinks/chat. Esp if you are starting next year but would welcome advice from those that have made it..
Only 159 days to go...
or 82 shifts at Work..

Lone Wolf
10-20-2004, 06:56
Campmor in Paramus, N.J. is close to Manhattan.

woolfie and GG
10-20-2004, 07:03
:sun Thanks will add that one to our list, guess that means paying a visit to cousins in NJ..

GG

Lone Wolf
10-20-2004, 07:06
You won't be disappointed with a visit to Campmor. The place is friggin huge with gear galore and no crunchy salespeople dressed like hikers trying to sell you stuff.

Bolo
10-20-2004, 09:43
Good, basic gear at Campmor. Make sure you get on their mailing list...you'll get catalogs every 2-3 months.

A-Train
10-20-2004, 09:44
You won't be disappointed with a visit to Campmor. The place is friggin huge with gear galore and no crunchy salespeople dressed like hikers trying to sell you stuff.

Hah, Yes Wolf is right that the place is awesome, but the entire staff is made up of "hippies" from Jersey. Dare I say more?

A-Train
10-20-2004, 09:46
If in lower Manhattan, definately don't miss Tent N Trails on 50 Park Row, right near the Brooklyn Bridge. Great place with gear piled to the ceiling.

Course there is always an EMS on Broadway and Houston, though I'm not sure you'd wanna waste your time

Lone Wolf
10-20-2004, 09:55
Hippies in Jersey? What exit! :D

cakeman21k
10-20-2004, 11:06
If you go to campmor in Paramus you will also want to stop at Ramsey outdoors about 3 miles S on Rt 17 also in Paramus. But take note that both stores are closed on Sundays due to blue laws in Bergen County.

Bolo
10-20-2004, 12:21
Hippies in Jersey? What exit! :D
LW, you crack me up!! You do remember that the NJ hippies wore their bellbottoms about 6" higher than the hippies in "the Village?" Something to do with the wetlands in Jersey.....

Lone Wolf
10-20-2004, 12:27
Wetlands? The ones around Newark? Right off the turnpike.

Tater
10-20-2004, 13:07
I liked those hippies dressed up like hikers at REI. One of them gave me a latte, and I didn't even buy anything.

orangebug
10-20-2004, 23:53
Ditto on Tents and Trails. They are excellent for boots, socks and making folks as warm as possible. They tell me that among their chief customers are photographers and reporters, who frequently spend a great amount of time waiting for interviews/reports outside the city hall and court house, also nearby.

Remember that you can't buy much in the way of fuel on Manhatten. There are no propane or other canister fuels allowed on the island.

Bill...

SavageLlama
10-21-2004, 08:51
Don't forget Paragon Sporting Goods at 18th & Broadway, which has a pretty decent selection. It's gotten even better recently (I used to work there).

But yeah, the 3 main stores in NYC are EMS, Tent N Trails and Paragon.

MOWGLI
10-21-2004, 09:14
If you want to take a ride to see a spectacular area, the town of Wurtsboro, NY is about 90 minutes from Bronxville. Exit 113 of Route 17. The Catskill Hiking Shack is a small store with lots of gear, but more importantly, they know the region like nobodys business. They are super friendly too.

Here's a link to their web page. http://www.catskillhikes.com/

If you took a day trip up there, they could direct you to loads of great hiking in the area. The store is about 50 minutes from the AT at High Point State Park, 10 minutes from the Long Path at the Bashakill, 40 minutes from the Shawangunk Ridge & Minnewaska State Park, and the Catskills stretch out in all directions north & west. Any drive either north or west of the store takes you to gorgeous country.

If you make it up there, be sure to tell John & Susan that Little Bear says "hey".

A-Train
10-21-2004, 10:36
If you go to campmor in Paramus you will also want to stop at Ramsey outdoors about 3 miles S on Rt 17 also in Paramus. But take note that both stores are closed on Sundays due to blue laws in Bergen County.

I echo that. I'm a huge fan of Campmor, but Ramsey if worth taking a look at, especially if you're traveling from afar. since they are down the highway from one another. I got my WM ultralite bag at Ramsey. The guy was knowledgable and gave me a 10percent discount since I was gonna be thru-hiking (hey it saved me 30 bucks!). I don't believe Campmor sells WM products.

When I told a Campmor employee I was gonna thru-hike, she told me to "watch out for the Mahoosuc Notch, since that was the place most people quit". Think she mighta read Kelly Winters book?

woolfie and GG
10-23-2004, 12:21
Thanks for all your suggestions, I have my two brothers looking up the stores as I write, They know of most of them which is a bonus.

We plan on doing some hiking while we are over (just to get a taste of the AT) althought we have been on BEAR mountain before.
So we may give the catskill a go.

GG:sun