PDA

View Full Version : Never Re-Tension Your Tarp Again!

LawsonKline
04-24-2010, 22:39
Never re-tension again your tarp again! These shock-cord tie outs keep everything nice and tight. I have been making and using these shock-cord tie outs forever. They are made using 1/8" marine grade shock cord. They stretch to double in size and come in 8", 16", 24" and 48" lengths. They are built to last! I am now offering them for sale at my website
Mountainfitter.com (http://www.mountainfitter.com)

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1272161967_24401.jpg

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1272162006_24402.jpg

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1272162054_24403.jpg

Wags
04-24-2010, 23:21
look pretty good. like a whoopie sling but with shock cord

fiddlehead
04-25-2010, 01:00
They look a bit heavy for long distance backpacking.
I use mason string and tie a bunch of different loops in each one for different options.
But good luck selling them anyway.

LawsonKline
04-25-2010, 10:19
They aren't that heavy...I mainly use the 8" on the sides which weigh 2.4 Grams (.08 Ounces) and the 48" at the trekking pole handles which weigh 10.4 Grams (.36 Ounces) My cuben tarp takes 6 side ones and 2 end ones which weighs 35.2 Grams (1.20oz) so it's not too bad in my opinion..

Since I can't edit the post here are the weights.

Sizes:
8" 2.4 Grams (.08 Ounces)
16" 4.0 Grams (.14 Ounces)
24" 5.6 Grams (.19 Ounces)
48" 10.4 Grams (.36 Ounces)

kayak karl
04-25-2010, 11:04
They aren't that heavy...I mainly use the 8" on the sides which weigh 2.4 Grams (.08 Ounces) and the 48" at the trekking pole handles which weigh 10.4 Grams (.36 Ounces) My cuben tarp takes 6 side ones and 2 end ones which weighs 35.2 Grams (1.20oz) so it's not too bad in my opinion..

Since I can't edit the post here are the weights.

Sizes:
8" 2.4 Grams (.08 Ounces)
16" 4.0 Grams (.14 Ounces)
24" 5.6 Grams (.19 Ounces)
48" 10.4 Grams (.36 Ounces)

sell them with these and you got a good setup.

http://www.therainshed.com/images/New2holetog.gif
http://www.therainshed.com/images/BarrolocBlack.jpg

white_russian
04-25-2010, 11:13
That is a big mark up on some shock cord with a knot in it.

Two Speed
04-25-2010, 12:44
Dude, it's got some shrink wrap on it, too. Totally makes it worth it. :cool:

Tinker
04-25-2010, 13:25
I fail to see the advantage of this type of setup. It only appears that you have a taut setup if you leave any stretch in the shock cord. When the wind blows it will stretch the cord and catch the sides of the tarp, filling it and turning it into a sail.
Pitch the tarp without any tension in the shock cord and you might as well leave it at home and save the weight. A tension device that attaches to the fly itself, which can be reached from under the fly seems to be a better solution to the dreaded sag (and they have been in use for years - first seen by me on Stephenson tents back in the 1980s).
Then again, I've been wrong before..........

kayak karl
04-25-2010, 13:38
I fail to see the advantage of this type of setup. It only appears that you have a taut setup if you leave any stretch in the shock cord. When the wind blows it will stretch the cord and catch the sides of the tarp, filling it and turning it into a sail.
Pitch the tarp without any tension in the shock cord and you might as well leave it at home and save the weight. A tension device that attaches to the fly itself, which can be reached from under the fly seems to be a better solution to the dreaded sag (and they have been in use for years - first seen by me on Stephenson tents back in the 1980s).
Then again, I've been wrong before..........
from a hammocker point of view it is totally different. my tarp is always at least 12 in off ground and i always use tensioners like these http://www.jacksrbetter.com/STLs.htm
i do like the loops he has . i just got some hog rings and already have elastic cord and electric shrink wrap. going to make one. will post pics.

Tinker
04-25-2010, 13:39
Oh, btw, what's the price on the 9x9 cuben tarp?

LawsonKline
04-25-2010, 21:35
>>"That is a big mark up on some shock cord with a knot in it." I can guarantee you that I am not getting rich making them.. I am selling them for as cheap as you can make them for buying really good quality shock cord and heat shrink tubing at retail...

Would you buy them if they were cheaper?

If you want to talk about big markups look at the Made In Asia $200 jacket you wear or $300 tent you sleep in. The material costs $1.15 a yard and the labour costs $.51 a hour.. I wonder how many tents or jackets one worker could build in a hour???

>>"I fail to see the advantage of this type of setup. It only appears that you have a taut setup if you leave any stretch in the shock cord. When the wind blows it will stretch the cord and catch the sides of the tarp, filling it and turning it into a sail.
Pitch the tarp without any tension in the shock cord and you might as well leave it at home and save the weight."

It depends on what material your tarp is built from. For Silnylon you pull the shock cord all the way tight and then as the nylon stretches the shock cord contracts which helps to keep your tarp tight and sag free.. For Cuben you pull the shock cord almost all the way tight and it helps to keep your tarp tight and shock loads down on your tie outs.. It just makes the whole setup a little more dynamic....

>>"Oh, btw, what's the price on the 9x9 cuben tarp?" The final price hasn't been determined but the price will be very competitive. Hope that helps but I am sure it doesn't..sorry.. They should go on sale in the next few weeks..

elray
04-25-2010, 22:02
Those smart guys at Mt Rogers Outfitters showed me that trick a few years back,they were even nice enough to sell me the shock cord. Keeps my Hubba high and tight. Thanks for passing that along!

white_russian
04-25-2010, 22:07
>>"That is a big mark up on some shock cord with a knot in it." I can guarantee you that I am not getting rich making them.. I am selling them for as cheap as you can make them for buying really good quality shock cord and heat shrink tubing at retail...

Would you buy them if they were cheaper?

If you want to talk about big markups look at the Made In Asia $200 jacket you wear or $300 tent you sleep in. The material costs $1.15 a yard and the labour costs $.51 a hour.. I wonder how many tents or jackets one worker could build in a hour???

I would never pay 300 for a tent. MSRP is for chumps or people with too much money.

The difference is I don't have the skill set to make jackets and tents. If you can't do something so simple as tie knots in shock cord you don't really belong in the woods.

Wise Old Owl
04-25-2010, 22:13
I like the idea, it has real value as the rain comes down I can see it would cancel the sag, it's the gram weenie weight that it adds that would put me on the fence.

LawsonKline
04-25-2010, 22:55
>>"I would never pay 300 for a tent. MSRP is for chumps or people with too much money."" What kind of tent do you have?

>>"If you can't do something so simple as tie knots in shock cord you don't really belong in the woods." It's not about being able to tie knots...99.9% of everyone could make these things but not everyone wants to spend the extra time doing it or sometimes its not cost advantageous...

Since you think I am out to rip everyone off with these things. I want you to do a little research... Lets say someone wanted to buy 8@ 24" shock cord tie outs from me.. Please tell them how much money they would save by building them themselves... Each cord takes 28" of 1/8" of Made In USA High Tenacity Marine Grade Dacron Sheath Shock-Cord and 1" of 1/4" Made In USA heat shrink tubing.. So you need to find a place that will sell you 18.6' of shock cord and 8" of heat shrink tubing.. Please provide links so the Make Your Own Gear guys can take advantage of your research..

Thanks,
Lawson

Tinker
04-26-2010, 01:16
Lawson, don't take anything personally here on Whiteblaze. We aren't shy about disagreeing with each other and the fact that we aren't shy with you should indicate that you are welcome here.
I will be waiting for the price on the cuben tarp - can't say I will buy one, but it's pretty interesting that someone is making a square or rectangular one without all the catenary cuts and curves which make a lot of tarps very good at only one pitch.

stranger
04-26-2010, 02:16
LawsonKline...you are sounding very defensive, and regardless of whether or not it's justified, it comes across in a negative way.

Thank you for your suggestion, I'm sure those who are interested will be in touch!

10-K
04-26-2010, 05:07
And me... I'm not buying anything else that has anything to do with tents, tarps or hammocks. :)

mudhead
04-26-2010, 05:58
And me... I'm not buying anything else that has anything to do with tents, tarps or hammocks. :)

I've heard that before.

So what did you get last week that set her off?:D

LawsonKline
04-26-2010, 10:48
Its one thing to say they wouldn't work but when White Russian insinuates that I am out to rip people off I am going to take it personal..

10-K
04-26-2010, 10:54
I've heard that before.

So what did you get last week that set her off?:D

My shed is just getting full of hiking gear - in particular tents and tarps and I'm starting to gather a nice little pile of hammock stuff too.

It has to stop! :)

10-K
04-26-2010, 10:58
Its one thing to say they wouldn't work but when White Russian insinuates that I am out to rip people off I am going to take it personal..

It's probably even a notch lower to argue over a piece of shock cord.

I'd let it go. :)

kayak karl
04-26-2010, 11:09
It's probably even a notch lower to argue over a piece of shock cord.

I'd let it go. :)
LMAO LawsonKline, you got some good ideas, like that cuben stuff sack. now make a cuben pack cover. then become a member. then we want your coupon discount code.:banana its all in fun:D

white_russian
04-26-2010, 11:20
It's not about being able to tie knots...99.9% of everyone could make these things but not everyone wants to spend the extra time doing it or sometimes its not cost advantageous...
LMAO... There are people out there that don't have time to tie a half dozen bowlines, but do have time to go backpacking. Hell it would take me less time to tie half a dozen bowlines than to order them pre-tied. This "product" is so retarded it is funny.

10-K
04-26-2010, 11:58
LMAO... There are people out there that don't have time to tie a half dozen bowlines, but do have time to go backpacking. Hell it would take me less time to tie half a dozen bowlines than to order them pre-tied. This "product" is so retarded it is funny.

I pay somebody to mow my lawn but I could mow it faster.... :)

brotheral
04-26-2010, 14:11
I miss "The Good Old Days" with Baltimore Jack and Terrapin going at it...:banana

WalkingStick75
04-26-2010, 15:18
I use nylon cord about 6' long with a look about ever 1' or so a lot lighter than shock cord and I never re-tension after I go to sleep anyways. I'm not a gram weinie but I like to cut weight where I can.

I also feel if you want to advertise you should at least throw a few bucks at WB and be a donating member. This way you can edit your post too.

bulldog49
04-26-2010, 15:29

He's a jerk, just ignore him.

Spokes
04-26-2010, 15:34
This reminds me of the recent "Spam" thread that covered OP's like this.

Yawn.......

Now where did I put that scrap piece of bungee cord? .......

Skidsteer
04-26-2010, 18:25
Never re-tension again your tarp again! These shock-cord tie outs keep everything nice and tight. I have been making and using these shock-cord tie outs forever. They are made using 1/8" marine grade shock cord. They stretch to double in size and come in 8", 16", 24" and 48" lengths. They are built to last! I am now offering them for sale at my website

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1272161967_24401.jpg

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1272162006_24402.jpg

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1272162054_24403.jpg

Tempting, but I think I'll hold out for the wireless version.

kayak karl
04-26-2010, 19:53
i like his idea. i took it one step farther.
hog clips on cord.

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/30147/2976563070104593866S500x500Q85.jpg

electrical shrink over connection

http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/46185/2404828250104593866S500x500Q85.jpg

this cord is a little large (deck cord for kayaks) but the idea is sound. knots always come out of elastic cord. not with this wrap :)

LawsonKline
04-26-2010, 22:55
Looks Good! The heat shrink tubing keeps hog clips and knots in place..