PDA

View Full Version : sleeping in hot springs

double j
04-24-2010, 23:31
i will be coming thru shortly and was wondering where a cheap place is to spend the night? Maybe ducketthouseinn they have a bunkhouse or the sunnybank inn if its not gonna be raining ill stay in my tent but id like a dry night i think they are giving a lil rain

Hooch
04-25-2010, 09:19
Elmer's is always great, if he's not full. There's also the Alpine Court Motel, Iron Horse Station and a few rooms over Rock Bottom, as well as cabins at Hot Springs Campground.

Ox97GaMe
04-25-2010, 09:21
If you reallly want to go cheap, you can do a town stop without actually staying IN town. The Deer Park Shelter is approx 2 miles south of town. you can stay there the night and walk into town early in the morning. You can get all your town stop stuff done and still have time to hike out in the afternoon. There are campsites not too far out of town, or you can hike up to the next shelter.

Spokes
04-25-2010, 09:33
+2 for Elmers

Lilred
04-25-2010, 10:02
Elmer's at the Sunnbank Inn is a must stop imho. His place has been a part of the AT for decades.
The house is amazing, his meals are amazing and he is quite the character you won't want to miss. Don't let the fact that he serves vegetarian meals throw you off. The food was gourmet and absolutely delicious... I wouldn't miss this iconic stop if it were me.

garlic08
04-25-2010, 10:06
I stayed at the Ducket House. Nice place, a little pricier, but I got laundry included and a private room and semi-private bath because they weren't full and breakfast was fantastic, and great service. And free bicycle use. It was probably most pleasant because it wasn't full of hikers and it seemed like a good break from the Trail. I got to talk to regular people for a few hours. If you have the money, it's a great place.

Grinder
04-25-2010, 16:20
I just came through Hot Springs last Tuesday. It was the end of my section hike.

Rainy day and 6 PM meant Elmer's was sold out. The Alpine Court was $47 for a single.

I understand the Duckett House is a bit cheaper and nicer. I don't know the rates for sure.

There was also a campground on the way out of town Northbound

bflorac
04-26-2010, 01:10
Elmers is great! Only caters to thru-hikers (or long section hikers). If looking for camping, not sure if is offically allowed but as you cross over the French Broad River, just before you start going UP, I noticed a number of tents along the river in the morning.

Do hit the Smoky Mtn Diner. Food was great. Also the beer at local pub as quite tasty!

Tinker
04-26-2010, 01:17
Sleeping in hot springs is a good way to get burned ;).

Crazy Larry #1
04-26-2010, 08:05
Elmers or the Duckett House........or if you want to be real cheap thn go to the camp ground.

Nean
04-26-2010, 09:30
Elmers is great! Only caters to thru-hikers (or long section hikers).

Do hit the Smoky Mtn Diner. Food was great. Also the beer at local pub as quite tasty!

Elmer would of been out of business a long time ago if this was true.;) And that tasty beer cost you more for being a non local customer.:(

sherrill
04-26-2010, 09:43

I stayed at Elmer's once after just a short section. He made sure to let me know I was charged full price for that reason. :)

Nean
04-26-2010, 09:55
So to sum it all up you get a discount at Elmers if you're a LDH and charged an extra 30% at the pub if you're a LDH.;)

Great outfitter in town too!:)

Lone Wolf
04-26-2010, 09:56

not true at all. he hosts retreats of all types and "regular" guests throughout the year

Lone Wolf
04-26-2010, 09:57
So to sum it all up you get a discount at Elmers if you're a LDH and charged an extra 30% at the pub if you're a LDH.;)

yeah that paddlers pub sucked for that

Nean
04-26-2010, 10:08
yeah that paddlers pub sucked for that

Yeah, and the RocK Bottom picked up where they left off. Not sure if the other pub in town does or if it's just plain expensive- as ownership has changed since I've been.

Pootz
04-26-2010, 10:37
Elmer's if he has space is a must, great old house and awsome food. Alpine Court Motel would be my second choice.

Nean
04-26-2010, 10:49
We were checked into a room that had not been cleaned at the Alpine Court this past fall. They apologized for the mistake and gave us another room, that had not been cleaned!:eek:

dufuss06
04-26-2010, 12:23
Stayed a Elmers a couple weeks ago great place. Also camped for free on the north side of the river.

Anumber1
04-26-2010, 19:17
Another vote for Elmer's if possible. (make sure to poop before breakfast)

double j
04-26-2010, 20:03
Stayed a Elmers a couple weeks ago great place. Also camped for free on the north side of the river.

well i may just camp on the river since its free. over the train tracks on the right is the hot springs campground right? so would it be on the left

Lone Wolf
04-26-2010, 20:33
Another vote for Elmer's if possible. (make sure to poop before breakfast)

and why is that?

Erin
04-26-2010, 21:54
Ditto Lil Red for Elmer's. We were section hikers and he and Sunny were great. I was leery of a vegeatarian meal filling me up. It was excellent food. Another great thing is that we met alot of thrus that talked us into leaving alot of unnecessary gear in our cars. We stayed coming and going and hope to do so again.

Lilred
04-27-2010, 09:15
Elmers is great! Only caters to thru-hikers (or long section hikers). If looking for camping, not sure if is offically allowed but as you cross over the French Broad River, just before you start going UP, I noticed a number of tents along the river in the morning.

Knew a section hiker that pulled up to Elmer's in her car and he sent her away. He only takes walk ins, except for his retreats...

sherrill
04-27-2010, 11:03
Knew a section hiker that pulled up to Elmer's in her car and he sent her away. He only takes walk ins, except for his retreats...

We drove there from the NF parking area after our section. Maybe if Elmer had seen us, he would have not let us stay. We did call and talk to a very confused kid to see if it was alright beforehand, so maybe that explains why he was so damn grumpy he next day during our checkout.