PDA

View Full Version : Fast Fly and Gear Lofts.

mykl
04-25-2010, 12:03
Seams like most double wall tents these days have the fast fly option. I have never used a tent this way, or have I ever seen anyone on the trail use the fast fly method. So my question is, is this more popular use of a double wall tent than I think/know? Does anyone do it?
Also, every tent for the most part has available or comes with a gear loft/attic. Anyone use them? I don't, though tried, but really prefer the head room over storage. The standard pockets on the lower sides have always been enough for me, even with a tent mate.

Toolshed
04-25-2010, 12:18
I had a 2002 Sierra Designs Silnylon Ultralight Clip Flashlight and used the fast fly option with it a few times. (Optimally, you need the $40 factory groundcloth)
I didn't care for it as it did not offer the amount of rain coverage that a simple tarp did. The fly comes down to within about 3 inches of the ground, but since the tents are so small, your sleeping bag is usually right next to the wall, so it invariably gets wet by windblown or drips.

As for a gear loft - I have it in my Kelty Windfoil 3 (4S winter tent) and I really like it, but there is a lot of headroom in that tent ~ 48". I tried it with my Eureka Timberlite and also used the same one in my Alpenlite, but not enough headroom.
I'd rather run a 2mm cord around the loops up there in a circle or square pattern to hang things to dry or air out.
Ideally lofts work better for dome tents, which are usually the heaviest backpacking tents out there.

wcgornto
04-25-2010, 12:45
Hiking SOBO on the AT last year, I sent home my main tent body at Harper's Ferry to shave pack weight. I slept in shelters most nights and used my tent only in the case of a full shelter. I used the fast fly configuration once just north of Damascus. I was one of the first people at the shelter, but the weather was glorious and there was a great tenting area with lots of nice pine straw. The fast fly configuration would not be so good in a buggy area and I would have been eaten alive in the Northeast in June through August without the main tent body.

mykl
04-25-2010, 13:08
Actually, I forgot to mention, I do bring a Sierra Designs Coffee Sling with me and have used it for storing small stuff. But, the sling hangs on the side, not affecting head room.
I have a MSR Skinny Too that has the mesh ceiling with a zipper in the middle to use as a gear loft. Problem is, anything heavier than a paor of sunglasses weighs it down loosing the head room. As a matter of fact, last time I used the tent, I forgot to take out the sunglasses and packed them up. I bought new sunglasses.
Toolshed: I also have the Eureka Timberlite 3xt. Love that tent! A bit heavy, but use it with my girlfriend and dogs car camping.

Tinker
04-25-2010, 13:19
I have not seen many people using the fast fly pitches available for their tents, even if they have the groundsheet.
The reason(s) are obvious:
1) No bug protection.
2) No "bathtub" floor.
I used a two person LL Bean hoop tent years ago without the inner tent. I imagine any tent fly (that attaches to the ends of the poles) can be used in this way, without a groundsheet, as long as you stake the fly securely.
If your fly clips to the tent body, you may have to make some stake loops to clip to the fly in order to forego using the tent body.

bigcranky
04-25-2010, 16:06
I suspect the tent makers offer this option so they can point to how light their tents are -- "See, it only weighs 3 pounds in the fastpack option!"

mykl
04-25-2010, 18:16
I suspect the tent makers offer this option so they can point to how light their tents are -- "See, it only weighs 3 pounds in the fastpack option!"

Very true. But I guess all the weight in carrying extra bug spray and first aid is not their problem.:D