PDA

View Full Version : Montrail boots

simon
04-25-2010, 13:32
I'd like to hear from the Montrail Boot people not the hard rock folks. How would you rate them, size, wear, etc.

Bearpaw
04-25-2010, 14:34
I'd like to hear from the Montrail Boot people not the hard rock folks. How would you rate them, size, wear, etc.

Once upon a time, meaning before Columbia bought Montrail about 3 years ago, Montrails were high quality boots, with the Torre as their best medium weight seller. Like most Montrails, it offered a narrow heel, relatively high arch, and medium-width toe box.

The boot was so well made that those with wider feet asked for a wide cut version, which Montrail produced for a couple of years. My wife's duck-feet loved the wide cut version.

However, since Columbia has taken over the company, they have dramatically reduced the number and types of footwear Montrail makes and cut corners to the point quality and durability has noticeably dropped. Unless you can find an older pair of Torres on Zappos.com, I would pass on Montrails.

BUT, there is good news. The founder and designer of the original Montrail boots was discouraged so much by Columbia's actions, he has begun a new boot company, Oboz. Like Montrails, Oboz boots have a narrow heel, higher arch, and proportionally wider (meaing medium) width of toe box. I have seen many leave the store where I work in the last few months we've carried them and have heard only good things.

The ones I've seen thus far are the lighter Sawtooth (http://www.rei.com/product/788958) and Yellowstone (http://www.rei.com/product/797625), and the heavier Wind River (http://www.rei.com/product/781638). The quality of each seems excellent, and I would expect it based on Montrail's original quality.

kayak karl
04-25-2010, 14:46
Once upon a time, meaning before Columbia bought Montrail about 3 years ago, Montrails were high quality boots, with the Torre as their best medium weight seller. Like most Montrails, it offered a narrow heel, relatively high arch, and medium-width toe box.

The boot was so well made that those with wider feet asked for a wide cut version, which Montrail produced for a couple of years. My wife's duck-feet loved the wide cut version.

However, since Columbia has taken over the company, they have dramatically reduced the number and types of footwear Montrail makes and cut corners to the point quality and durability has noticeably dropped. Unless you can find an older pair of Torres on Zappos.com, I would pass on Montrails.

BUT, there is good news. The founder and designer of the original Montrail boots was discouraged so much by Columbia's actions, he has begun a new boot company, Oboz. Like Montrails, Oboz boots have a narrow heel, higher arch, and proportionally wider (meaing medium) width of toe box. I have seen many leave the store where I work in the last few months we've carried them and have heard only good things.

The ones I've seen thus far are the lighter Sawtooth (http://www.rei.com/product/788958) and Yellowstone (http://www.rei.com/product/797625), and the heavier Wind River (http://www.rei.com/product/781638). The quality of each seems excellent, and I would expect it based on Montrail's original quality.
did a little research. they seem to not be water proof as advertized

moytoy
04-26-2010, 16:11
I ordered a pair of Torres in Feb. from Campmor.com. I got these boots to replace a 20 year old pair of Merrells that needed resoled. They were on sale for $90 and the resole was 60+shipping. So I opted for the new boots. They fit different than the Merrells did and I had to send them back to get the wide version, and a size larger. They are comfortable and I like them so far. But I have not really put them to the test yet! I have put probably 200 miles on them in dry conditions. Time will tell how they work in the long haul. They are made in China.

RedneckRye
04-26-2010, 16:44
did a little research. they seem to not be water proof as advertized

There is no such thing as a waterproof boot.
You get wet eventually

john oboz
05-11-2010, 12:35
Hi Simon,
John Connelly here. I'm the president and founder of Oboz. In the late 80's I started a brand in the US called One Sport. We later changed our name to Montrail. I actually left Montrail just before they came out with the Torre but I was involved in the beginning of Integra-Fit. Since then, I've worked with a number of brands including Vasque, Zamberlan, Keen, and 5.10. Three years ago I started Oboz. We're based in Bozeman, Montana and are now delivering our 3rd spring Oboz line. Our goal from the beginning was to make "True to the Trail" footwear. We looked at the market which had become dominated by large corporations due to buy-outs and consolidations and felt there was a niche for a small focused brand dedicated to the end user and outdoor specialty distribution. Our goal is to make only high-quality, trail-ready footwear that fits and lasts.

Fit varies due to lasts, materials and design. We strive to make shoes and boots with snug heels, good medial support and roomy toe boxes just as we did in the early days at Montrail. Everyone's feet are different and usually no two models fit identically, hence the need to try-on several brands or models. There are a lot of great brands and boots in the market but I hope you will consider some Oboz next time you are in the market for new shoes or boots.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best / John

akhiker
05-27-2010, 21:49
My Montrails haven't lasted ! Even before Montrail was bought out. I like their shoes, but for the price they do not last long for me.

I did buy a pair of Oboz. At first they didn't feel great on my feet. After a month they fit great! My favorite boots are Lowas (think HEAVY). I love my Lowas but really can't wear them every day because they are too expensive to wear out. I wear Oboz for work and I work out in the Alaska Bush / Remote areas. The Oboz have been great. They are still a little stiff in the ankle. I have only had them for 1 season so I will see how they hold up.

Freedom Walker
06-24-2010, 22:28
Hi Simon,
John Connelly here. I'm the president and founder of Oboz. In the late 80's I started a brand in the US called One Sport. We later changed our name to Montrail. I actually left Montrail just before they came out with the Torre but I was involved in the beginning of Integra-Fit. Since then, I've worked with a number of brands including Vasque, Zamberlan, Keen, and 5.10. Three years ago I started Oboz. We're based in Bozeman, Montana and are now delivering our 3rd spring Oboz line. Our goal from the beginning was to make "True to the Trail" footwear. We looked at the market which had become dominated by large corporations due to buy-outs and consolidations and felt there was a niche for a small focused brand dedicated to the end user and outdoor specialty distribution. Our goal is to make only high-quality, trail-ready footwear that fits and lasts.

Fit varies due to lasts, materials and design. We strive to make shoes and boots with snug heels, good medial support and roomy toe boxes just as we did in the early days at Montrail. Everyone's feet are different and usually no two models fit identically, hence the need to try-on several brands or models. There are a lot of great brands and boots in the market but I hope you will consider some Oboz next time you are in the market for new shoes or boots.

Best / John

Just recently ordered a pair of Oboz Yellowstone II from Zappos. I love them and can't wait to get them on the trail. Best boots I ever had.

Grampie
06-25-2010, 08:43
My Montrails haven't lasted ! Even before Montrail was bought out. I like their shoes, but for the price they do not last long for me.

I did buy a pair of Oboz. At first they didn't feel great on my feet. After a month they fit great! My favorite boots are Lowas (think HEAVY). I love my Lowas but really can't wear them every day because they are too expensive to wear out. I wear Oboz for work and I work out in the Alaska Bush / Remote areas. The Oboz have been great. They are still a little stiff in the ankle. I have only had them for 1 season so I will see how they hold up.

I can't say the same for my Montrail boots. I purchased a pair of Montrail AT Hikers back in 2000. Put about 100 miles on them before my thru-hike. After about 1500 miles I wore out the soles. Had them resoled and finished my thru with them. I never had a blister or any other foot problems.
The boots were shot at the end of my hike.

mudhead
06-25-2010, 09:06

Those look good. $, but good.

I hope you will consider some Oboz next time you are in the market for new shoes or boots.

Best / John

Any hope for the flipper feet niche? 4E here.

sbhikes
06-25-2010, 11:57
Me, too. I have flipper feet. Duck feet. Hobbit feet. I have given up on mass-produced shoes. I know a few brands make 4E shoes but I do not like the way they feel.

I have just placed an order for custom-made shoes from a small company. I sent them measurements and a tracing of my feet. They will cut the pattern to my feet. I have asked for arch support but there will be no other special technology to the sole. No raised heel, no toe spring. There will be a lug sole. The leather will be lightweight. They're not heavy boots, they are light boots. I'm hoping this will work. I can't believe I'm going back to ankle-high after years of running shoes, but I'm tired of being injured by ill-fitting, disposable, plastic shoes.

mikec
06-25-2010, 12:43
I've had good and bad luck w/ Montrails. Bought a pair in 2006 for about $150. Forgot the model name. They lasted 3 years and about 1,500-2,000 miles. Bought another pair in 2009 for about $60 as a closeout. They were like a hightop sneaker. the first pair size 12 was too small. Exchanged them for a size 13. It still didn't feel right. After two weeks on the AT last summer from North Adams to Manchester Center, I had a ton of blisters due to the shoe still being too small and the amount of rain/mid that I had to endure. I got a pair of Vasques for about $180 at EMS in Manchester Center and did another 125 miles to Franconia Notch. The Vasques did well, though they are starting to show signs of wear after between 800 and 1,000 miles of use.

I will have to investigate these Oboz

sbhikes
06-25-2010, 12:53
My boyfriend really likes the Oboz, but he's a big pronator and they wore out quickly, causing even more pronation. I don't know how he can walk like that but he said it didn't really bother him, but he could feel the difference in a new pair.

Simba
06-25-2010, 23:02
I have two pair of Montrail Torre GTX's. Back in 2000 I went only with Vasque. Now I was looking more lightweight and after research and trying other brands (such as Danner) I decided on the Montrail. Love them and haven't had any issues with them thus far. I'll be leaving in a few days for the trail and putting about 1K miles on them. In case anything goes wrong I bought another pair on a close-out sale with Campmor for the G/F to send if need be. So, I give them two thumbs up.

Rye Catcher

10-K
06-26-2010, 09:54
Ah! I went through 2 pair of Montrail trail runners in less than 500 miles so in my opinion, the 2 models I got were not a good deal.

I started my hike with a pair of the trail runner version of my regular running shoe. Within 100 miles, the bottoms were coming off...

When I got to Manchester Center, VT, the outfitter (Mountain Goat) sold me a pair of the Montrail "AT Hiker" shoe. My right foot was starting to push through the side by Franconia Notch and with a spill after Mt. Washington they ripped open. The outfitter shipped me another pair of Montrail's - different model - to Gorham at no charge. I have them on my feet right now and can see my socks through both of them. I was lucky to finish with them.

So... basically - 2 pair of Montrails went out on me on a 6 week hike.

I would never purchase another pair of Montrail shoes - ever.

Simba
06-26-2010, 12:27
Trail runners are not boots. I knew of a few that expected their trail runners (any brand) to wear out quickly and set their standards ahead of time by having a lot of extra pairs to be mail dropped. Why did your's keep blowing out on you? You a toe dragger? Either way, everyone's opinion counts, but the shoe has to be put in the right context to be more understood for durability.

Rye

Grampie
06-27-2010, 11:04
Trail runners are not boots. I knew of a few that expected their trail runners (any brand) to wear out quickly and set their standards ahead of time by having a lot of extra pairs to be mail dropped. Why did your's keep blowing out on you? You a toe dragger? Either way, everyone's opinion counts, but the shoe has to be put in the right context to be more understood for durability.

Rye

I would advise caution on buying extra foot wear before you start a thru-hike. I met several folks who did this only to find that their feet changed after hiking and the shoes didn't fit when they had them sent to them.
Chances are that your feet will change after hiking for awile.

Simba
06-27-2010, 13:44
I, myself, planned ahead and understand my foot spread after long distances. Others may not understand this and can easily hook up with another pair of boots, if they are good for them, while on the trail; use a library computer to order. After ten years of hiking and backpacking one usually has it down to what feels right. Many do start out and are surprised how much their feet spread out. I too knew of many who had this problem and ended up at outfitters along the trail. Oddly enough, I do remember one Jersey girl in 2000 who had her feet go up three sizes before she contemplated leaving the trail. She didn't want permenately huge feet and this bothered her. In addition, foot beds need considered. Everyone is different, I tried superfeet at the urgency of one outfitter, too stiff for my medium arches. With no knowledge at the time about feet and arches I hiked on and destroyed my feet; found out a lot of outfitters really just want a sale; business and all. SO, learned to be careful and plan ahead with what fits right. Researched about feet to better understand what the doctor didn't tell me; again he just wanted to sell me foot beds (funny thing, this doctor from NJ ended up having his wife attack him with a knife weeks after he bilked me; they were partner swappers and it just didn't work out when he was away hiking!). Anyway, I would get a good foot bed and take it with me when trying out other boot models. Grampie is correct in his suggestion to plan ahead only when you know what is right; don't order extra shoes if you haven't backpacked before, your feet will change.

Rye