PDA

View Full Version : Fore those of you who use cheap trekking poles... (Coleman)

Thruorbust
04-25-2010, 18:39
Hey everyone,

I was going to just use tree branches wrapped in tape as trekking poles, but decided to go all out and get some Colemans for $11 to help me out ;)

I'm a little confused between two models though so maybe those of you who use the Colemans can point out the ones to get.

Here is one listed as "trekking pole"

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-802-251T-Trekking-Pole/dp/B0009PUQHI

and here is a walking stick with some fat guy on it which makes me doubtful, but its anti-shock...(and cheaper)

http://www.amazon.com/Jobar-Telescopic-Walking-Stick/dp/B000MGGQE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=outdoor-recreation&qid=1272234973&sr=1-1

The black diamonds and Lekis are a little too far out of my budget at this point :( and it be nice to having something I can break and not care :)

Franco
04-25-2010, 18:58
The Coleman has a metal tip and baskets. No shock absorber.
Most that have tried the shock absorber don't like the idea. The baskets are useful in helping the stick not to get stuck..in small crevices.
Franco

Thruorbust
04-25-2010, 19:01
Yea, being 23 and pretty fit I dont feel the shock absorber is necessary, but then again I dont know. Seems like one more thing to break, but then again it is cheaper and I know a lot of the BD and high models have that :-?

Windcatcher
04-25-2010, 19:03
I have a pair of the Coleman's and they work fine. I'm a little leary of their long term durability, but for the price, they're easily replaced. I'd like to upgrade to carbon fiber for additional strength, but the price is a bit daunting.

steve43
04-25-2010, 19:08
i've used colemans before... they last about a season or so. up graded to lekis a couple of years ago and have put about 400 miles on them with little problems. try the colemans to see if you like walking with sticks and then think about upgrading.

fifo

ChrisFol
04-25-2010, 19:25
i've used colemans before... they last about a season or so. up graded to lekis a couple of years ago and have put about 400 miles on them with little problems. try the colemans to see if you like walking with sticks and then think about upgrading.

fifo

+1. My first pair were from Walmart and set me back around 20 bucks. If you have never walked with poles before, then get the Colman ones and see what works for you.

As for the absorbers. I don't like them and find them useless.

BigHodag
04-25-2010, 19:31
I bought a pair of Outdoor Products Hiking Poles from Walmart. They are priced at $13 each. Took them on one overnighter and found them nore than satisfactory. Plan to use them on my upcoming section hike. Need to have a cross-point screwdriver to adjust clamps, just in case. My full review is here:

http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2010/03/trekking-poles-outdoor-products-hiking.html

Roland
04-25-2010, 20:41
Hey everyone,

I was going to just use tree branches wrapped in tape as trekking poles, but decided to go all out and get some Colemans for $11 to help me out ;)

~

I assume you know that's for a single pole, not a pair.

I'm not saying they aren't worth the price, but from your post it wasn't clear if you knew they were sold individually.

Thruorbust
04-25-2010, 21:17
Yea $22 is still cheap! :)

Roland
04-25-2010, 21:27
Yea $22 is still cheap! :)

Yes, only a third the price of the cheapest Lekis.

But I've always believed you get what you pay for. So I tend to wait until I can afford to buy a quality product that will last a lifetime. In the end, I think this is the cheapest way to go. (This is my general philosophy; not just hiking poles.)

Hiking poles are not a necessity. Plenty of folks walk without them. If you've got 22 bucks burning in your pocket, you can buy the Colemans now. Or you could wait. Perhaps you'll decide you don't need poles at all.

white_russian
04-25-2010, 21:43
It seems like the success rate with cheap walmartesque poles is 50/50. Name brands fare much better and if you watch places like steepandcheap or rei outlet you can find a decent pair for about 40 bucks.

Thruorbust
04-25-2010, 21:44
Yes, only a third the price of the cheapest Lekis.

But I've always believed you get what you pay for. So I tend to wait until I can afford to buy a quality product that will last a lifetime. In the end, I think this is the cheapest way to go. (This is my general philosophy; not just hiking poles.)

Hiking poles are not a necessity. Plenty of folks walk without them. If you've got 22 bucks burning in your pocket, you can buy the Colemans now. Or you could wait. Perhaps you'll decide you don't need poles at all.

Yea I hear ya!

Considering I was gonna go without/tree branchin it, I think the $22 Colemans will be a good introductory step. Then if they fail within the first week and I feel like I really need trekking poles to continue on, I'll have a relative send me some black diamonds or Leki. Or just continue to buy "disposable" poles haha.

will1972
04-25-2010, 21:47
Try a cheap set first. Some people love poles, some hate them. My daughter tried a cheap set first then I got her some Leki's and passed the old pair to a nephew who was just getting started. I too believe in saving to get the best gear possible, but poles are an accessory not a necessity. I love my Black Diamond's and would not want to leave home with out them. But I could hike many miles with out them. And I prefer no anti-shock, but my daughter loves that feature on hers.

Wags
04-25-2010, 21:56

fifo

+2

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Wise Old Owl
04-25-2010, 22:18
I started with a cheap set from Walmart, then upgraded to LLBean, removed the straps replaced with Zip tyes and now I am happy, very UL and have poles for the tarp or poncho. LIFE IS GOOD,

Doctari
04-26-2010, 12:25
I had a (as in single) Coleman hiking pole a few years ago, bought to go with my spare "good" pole. The Coleman lasted me one 3 day trip (35 miles?) before bending. I gave it to my hiking partners 8 YO son as he could use it nearly fully collapsed so the bent area was up in the other 1/2 of the pole. YMMV

Nean
04-26-2010, 12:46
I bought a really nice pair of ski poles at the thrift store for 4 bucks.;)

mark schofield
04-26-2010, 13:00
I didn't use poles until I reached 50+ years. Then as my knees started to go I started using poles. They are a big help now, but back in the day,when, I use to carry 45-50 lbs in my old Kelty skyliner, and wore jeans and work boots, no problem. If my knees and tarp tent Contrail didn't need them. I probably wouldn't use them. Get some cheepoes to test them out.

Thruorbust
04-26-2010, 16:03
I think I'll give em a go and see how I like them :banana

Wal Mart has some too (Outdoor Research) if I remember correctly so I may switch to that and test both of them on a thru :)

Press
04-26-2010, 18:44
I like the cheap Eddie Bauer ones from Target, I have bent a couple of them, but they are so cheap they are no problem to replace, as has been stated here.

WalksInDark
07-17-2010, 23:23
Another vote for Wal Mart sticks. I hike a couple of hundred miles each year with the Wal Mart anti-shock sticks ($20) and go through a pair every year and a half or so. Walmart has also started selling external lock poles without the anti-shock feature for about $25. In my opionion, the older you get or the more that you want to reduce wear on your hands and joints, the more you will appreciate some sort of shock absorbing feature.

Like many, I would like to get better poles some day...but for now I have been more concerned with getting good tents, hammocks, backpacks, stoves, sleeping bags, boots etc.

Surplusman
07-18-2010, 04:43
I use a pair of cheapie Chinamart poles for around town and my daily walks. A stroke 3 years ago left me with a slightly unresponsive right leg so I need all the stability I can get. However, I wouldn't trust those poles for backpacking or for any situation where I would have to put some real weight on them. I bought a pair of surplus Army ski poles and cut them down and added rubber tips and put on the grips from my first pair of cheapies (they lasted 8 years..from Ocean State Job Lot) on them. I use these one piece poles for "serious" work. But I do miss using my old hornbeam "snake stick" that was my constant hiking companion for over 30 years.

theycallmej
07-21-2010, 09:22
You will truly get what you pay for when it comes to trekking poles.

I tried out a pair of Ozark Trail trekking poles first from Wal-Mart. The problem I had with the poles was that they just weren't durable-- after a few hikes and moderate use, they didn't feel like they were helping me.

Next I went with a pair of Mountainsmith Pinncale that I got at Dick's Sporting goods for about half the price of leki's. I love them a lot-- they are durable and do much of what Leki poles do. They aren't as strong as my Leki's though and you can feel it in the system of the pole, it just "feels" kind of old.

Now my Leki Makalu's are great-- they work well for how I use them, they're durable and strong and accomplish everything I need out of a good hiking pole.

To be honest, you're probably best going with Leki. You can get all of the cheap poles you'd like to, but if you can cough up the cash, you won't be replacing your poles as often!

chris948
07-21-2010, 10:02
Used the wal-mart first pair for a summer a few years ago, when it came time to fly home I threw them away. Had no complaints.

phild
03-29-2011, 12:41
Just a note about the Coleman trekking poles: I picked up the two-pack trekking poles from Target:

http://www.target.com/Coleman-Trekking-Pole-Grey-Pack/dp/B002YXNEDQ/038576|1287991011

They do have the anti-shock feature. My cost was $29.99 for the pair.

When I got home, I registered them on the Coleman website, then went for a short hike to try them out. I noticed the anti-shock on both poles was clicking. Not broken, but not a very smooth action.

I emailed Coleman customer service about the problem. Within a day, Coleman responded by email, and asked for was a photo of the receipt and a photo of where the problem was. Within hours, I received a call from Coleman (very nice girl), explained the problem, and a new set of poles arrived a few days later.

I don't look for the most expensive or fashionable item; I look for a product that has a company which stands behind it. Coleman may not be the top of the line, lightest equipment out there, but when I receive customer service like that, I'll stick with Coleman.

BAG "o" TRICKS
03-29-2011, 13:43
Hey everyone,

I'm a little confused between two models though so maybe those of you who use the Colemans can point out the ones to get.

Here is one listed as "trekking pole"

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-802-251T-Trekking-Pole/dp/B0009PUQHI

and here is a walking stick with some fat guy on it which makes me doubtful, but its anti-shock...(and cheaper)

http://www.amazon.com/Jobar-Telescopic-Walking-Stick/dp/B000MGGQE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=outdoor-recreation&qid=1272234973&sr=1-1

The black diamonds and Lekis are a little too far out of my budget at this point :( and it be nice to having something I can break and not care :)

Bought a pair of Coleman's with on/off antishock and angled cork handles as back-ups. Found them at Target and they sold as singles for $13. Was a bit skeptical about quality, but they are well made and have performed as good as the top brands although not as lite as titanium or carbon fiber high end models. They have a solid built twist locking mechanism and I've had no problem with them. Leki's have always had a great return/replacement policy, don't know about Coleman's. I've used sticks for many years before hiking poles. Guess whatever suits your budget.

woodstock64
03-29-2011, 16:36
My Alpine Design trekking poles from Sports Authority have held up fairly well. The also have shock absorbers but they can be turned on or off. Personally I prefer the little bit of "give" I get from the shock absorbers.

dla
03-29-2011, 17:46
I bought a really nice pair of ski poles at the thrift store for 4 bucks.;)

Me too. Every couple years I go to Goodwill and get a new set of fiberglass X-country ski poles. They take a lot of abuse and can be cut down to size.

WI_Mike
03-30-2011, 13:54
On sale this week for $17:

http://www.target.com/New-Balance-Walking-Poles-Black/dp/B003Y7QS6G/ref=sc_qi_detaillink?ref=sc_wa_qi_var&fromwa=true&asin=B003Y7QS6G&description=&finalprice=17.0000&highprice=&lowprice=&name=New+Balance+adjustable+walking+poles&saleshandle=sale&productcode=B003Y7QS6G&offer=@@%7B%7Bhttp%3A//www.target.com/gp/browse.html/%3Fnode%3D174956011%7C%7COther+selected+Reebok+and +New+Balance+fitness+items+on+sale%7D%7D&deal=$17&zipcode=53704&