PDA

View Full Version : for the solar-powered gram-weenies among us...

shelterbuilder
04-25-2010, 19:11
I was shopping in Wally World yesterday and found a nifty little light in the flashlight section - made by Ray-O-Vac, it's a solar-powered LED squeeze light that weighs only 12.6 grams WITHOUT THE ATTACHED METAL HARDWARE. It seems like this could be attached with a string to the outside of one's pack during the day for a charge, and used at night without worrying about the batteries going dead!

On the down-side, the plastic body doesn't look too sturdy, and it may not be waterproof, but at less than $4.00, it might be worth a look.

HiKen2011
04-25-2010, 19:17
I saw those the other day and thought about buying one, let me know how it works out!

Dtour

shelterbuilder
04-25-2010, 21:22
The "in-house" test was promising. I took it into the basement (with the lights out) and, in the immediate area (5 to 10 feet), it produced enough light that I was able to find things in the workshop and not trip over stuff. (I had left the light on the dashboard of the van for most of the day yesterday, so I guess that it was fully charged.)

So, I guess that a field test is now in order. Oh, I did remove the metal "hangware" and replaced it with a nylon cord wrist-loop, which should be long enough to tie it to any attachment point on the outside of my pack. The cord will eventually UV-deteriorate, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Wise Old Owl
04-25-2010, 21:46
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GOODHOPE-Bags-Solar-Flashlight-in-Silver/13059821

you know until now, I really thought there was a "Wally" world until your post................. There are no "Wally" Worlds in Pa, only in "Vacation" with Chevy Chase.

I was duped.

shelterbuilder
04-27-2010, 22:01
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GOODHOPE-Bags-Solar-Flashlight-in-Silver/13059821

you know until now, I really thought there was a "Wally" world until your post................. There are no "Wally" Worlds in Pa, only in "Vacation" with Chevy Chase.

I was duped.

Ah, well -- it's all fun until someone's feelings get hurt.;)

I just finished another little "in-house" test. I taped the button down on a fully charged light and started timing for output duration and strength. After 1/2 hour of continuous discharge, you could begin to see that the light was beginning to weaken. After 1 hour, the output was very much weaker, but still usable within 3 to 4 feet for finding "stuff".
Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I personally never discharge a light for this length of time, so I'm convinced that I could use this light.

YMMV.