PDA

View Full Version : chicken in a can

JRiker
04-25-2010, 19:20
tried it, like it, gonna try to dehydrate it next. it was surprisingly good.

anyone have any experience/tips dehydrating it?

Loneoak
04-25-2010, 19:43
Not tried the chicken in a can yet, but I have been dehydrating chicken breast after simmering them in water/spices.
Simmered until done (no pink) botted dry and dehydrated for about 5 hrs at 145 degrees. Worked great.

medicjimr
04-25-2010, 19:55
Not tried the chicken in a can yet, but I have been dehydrating chicken breast after simmering them in water/spices.
Simmered until done (no pink) botted dry and dehydrated for about 5 hrs at 145 degrees. Worked great.

So It rehydrate's well then I have some tyson in foil pack pre cooked but don't like the bulk and weight was thinking of dehydrating it.

Grinder
04-25-2010, 20:23
I have dehydrated chicken several times, both canned and pressure cooked.

I find the rehydrated chicken a little chewy. (but then, I do always minimize the soak time in the cosy because I'm hungry and impatient by nature <G>).

I have thought to put the chicken in a separate bag and soak it for a few hours with a bit of water before rehydrating the meal. Haven't done it yet though.

Loneoak
04-25-2010, 21:57
I haven't tried to rehydrate yet, my youngins eat it like jerky tho :)

Old Grouse
04-26-2010, 05:25
In Viet Nam Swanson chicken was one of the few luxuries available. Got back to the world and found my uncle feeding it
to his pug. One of many moments of disorientation for me. But I still like it!

Farr Away
04-26-2010, 12:21
I bought a big can of chicken; dehydrated it, and use it in fbc meals. It's a little chewy, but not bad. I may have overdried it. It's also much, much lighter than pouch chicken.

Jonnycat
04-28-2010, 10:00
The bigger the clump, the longer it takes to dry. Make sure you tease it apart thoroughly into individual threads before you dry it; more prep means better product.

vonfrick
04-29-2010, 21:01
i rehydrate it in a cozy with a gravy mix packet...and either stuffing or mash on the side

Jim Adams
04-29-2010, 21:41
always had problems with the canned chicken and rehydrating....usually had the consistency of balsa wood...seemed as though it took forever to rehydrate and was still "dense". All other chicken has worked good for me.

geek

JRiker
04-30-2010, 14:39
think i'm gonna try it out this weekend, see how it tastes. if i can handle it at home, i'll love it on the trail.

BlueTang
05-01-2010, 10:37
The trick is to dry on a low heat, say around 120, and do not over-dry. Over drying is usually why it comes back chewy or stringy.

Another tip is to make sure to rinse it completely off before shredding on your trays. Also, the cheaper store brands of chicken like Wal-Mart tend to have a great deal of fat in the can. Stick with Tyson or Organic brand cans and pouches.