PDA

View Full Version : What I've learned so far

Rick500
04-25-2010, 20:27
I plan to someday thru-hike the AT.

Before that, I plan to do some section hikes.

Until then, I've been doing day hikes every weekend to break in the gear and shape up a bit.

Today I set out in the rain on a 3-mile loop...first time to take the rain gear out "into the wild."

Here's what I've learned:

Hiking in the rain is still hiking, and it's still fun. (At least it was for one hour / 3 miles.)

Hiking in dry weather is even more fun.

Unless it's going to get down to less than 55 degrees or so before you're dry again, forget about the rain gear. Better to be wet with rain than wet with sweat and too hot. (I have Marmot Precip rain gear, and I did open the vent zips, and it was still too hot for me at about 58F.)

Once you're wet, you're wet and aren't going to get any wetter, so forget about it (as long as it's not going to get cold before you can dry off).

My glasses are next to useless when it's raining. Not only the rain drops, but fogging is a problem. Going to have to think about carrying one-day-use contacts with me. I wonder if there's Rain-X for glasses.

It's not a good idea to just hang your glasses on your pack chest strap. You will forget they're there every time you take your pack off, and they will fall to the ground every time. I was lucky all three times and remembered shortly after I dropped them.

Rick500
04-25-2010, 20:28
Oh yeah, also: I *love* my alpaca wool socks. My shoes and socks and feet were completely soaked through but my feet still felt fine.

GGS2
04-25-2010, 20:36
Sounds about right.

Tagless
04-25-2010, 21:00
My only suggestion would be to consider a ULA Rain Wrap (http://www.ula-equipment.com/rainwrap.asp), rather than rain pants, for your lower extremities. It will help a lot to keep you dry way above 55 degrees - without overheating.

Kerosene
04-25-2010, 21:06
Well, I'll venture alternative opinions on a few items:

Walking through a thunderstorm is different than walking in a steady rain. I disagree with the opinion that you don't need raingear in the summer. Rain falling from 60,000 feet is pretty darn cold.

I've had suprisingly good luck with wearing glasses in the rain. I use a nylon ball cap with a plastic brim, usually with a hood over the cap. The only time it doesn't work is in a high wind with blowing rain. There are anti-fog cloths for ski goggles that can minimize fogging.

Also, when my alpaca socks are soaked I just feel like I'm walking in soggy cardboard, or perhaps cold oatmeal. Hydropel helps keep my skin from pruning and blistering in that case.

Rick500
04-25-2010, 21:13
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll take a look at the ULA Rain Wrap.

Yeah, a thunderstorm would be different... We had one yesterday and I stayed home and waited to walk until today. Didn't mean you shouldn't have rain gear in the summer, just that it's too hot to bother with more often than I thought it would be.

I'll try the ball cap next time. I have a nice wicking one, just didn't bring it out today. I will check out the anti-fog stuff though, definitely. Hopefully it can be used on coated lenses with no problems.

My alpaca socks felt great... maybe a different blend, or maybe just because I was only in them for an hour. What exactly is Hydropel? (I'll go look it up...)

Roland
04-25-2010, 21:17
~
My alpaca socks felt great...
~ (I'll go look it up...)

Yes, wool feels good, even when wet. That's a good thing, cuz once it gets wet, it stays wet a long time.

waywardfool
04-25-2010, 21:17
For your glasses, use Cat Crap. It works.

Roland
04-25-2010, 21:19
For your glasses, use Cat Crap. It works.

If you don't have a cat (http://www.rei.com/product/623337), can you use dog? ;)

waywardfool
04-25-2010, 21:47
Cat Crap (with caps), not cat crap. The kitty litter remnants in cat crap will scratch your lenses.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CAMOmnifindQueryCmd?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1&searchCategory=&ip_state=&ip_constrain=&ip_navtype=search&pageSize=24&currentPage=&ip_sortBy=&searchKeywords=cat+crap

If link doesn't work just go to Campmor and search "Cat Crap"

sbhikes
04-25-2010, 21:55
I find that if the trail isn't obscured by a lot of encroaching brush an umbrella works great in the rain. It's so sensible and actually makes the rain fun.

Roland
04-25-2010, 22:01
I find that if the trail isn't obscured by a lot of encroaching brush an umbrella works great in the rain. It's so sensible and actually makes the rain fun.

Do you use hiking poles?

johnnybgood
04-25-2010, 22:02
First off Rick- I agree with the progression of length of hike theory , although there's nothing wrong with hiking the entire trail in sections .

Funny thing happens when it begins to rain , you try to manage staying dry and sometimes you win ,but sometimes the rain wins , and once that happens ,it gives that inner kid in me the chance to hike in the rain and I damn well enjoy it.

The ULA Rain Wrap is a good alternative to rain pants , although I still weather the storm with Froggtoggs and a wide brimmed hat.

thepokerkid227
04-25-2010, 22:04
For your glasses use a product called Zooke. I think their website is zooke.com stuff works amazing IMO.

sbhikes
04-25-2010, 22:06
Do you use hiking poles?
Yes, I use hiking poles. I have installed some elastic cord and cord locks on my left shoulder strap to hold the umbrella. There are two cords and then I take the leftover waist belt straps and tie them to the umbrella's handle strap for a third point of contact. My hands are free and I can use my poles. If it's windy, I do have to hold down the front canopy when there's a big gust.

Roland
04-25-2010, 22:10
Yes, I use hiking poles. I have installed some elastic cord and cord locks on my left shoulder strap to hold the umbrella. There are two cords and then I take the leftover waist belt straps and tie them to the umbrella's handle strap for a third point of contact. My hands are free and I can use my poles. If it's windy, I do have to hold down the front canopy when there's a big gust.

I figured you'd have a clever solution. Well done!

johnnybgood
04-25-2010, 22:19
Sounds like a marketing idea . ;)

TIDE-HSV
04-25-2010, 22:35

I normally use hiking poles, but I've also done a number of hikes with a large golf umbrella, particularly when I knew I was likely to be hiking for days in the rain...

GGS2
04-26-2010, 00:57
I will admit that rain can sometimes be annoying, but most of the time, I find that it is simply another weather condition to hike in. I wear glasses, but don't really need them to find my way, so I either leave them on as eye protection against branches and such, or I take them off as they can be annoying. Then I stumble on in the rain. What bothers me more than getting wet is the wet clay and slippery rocks underfoot. Especially on climbs and descents. There are times I wish I brought cramps.

Rain makes everything smell nice. Rain drops a curtain around me, so I see everything in a fog. I like that. Yeah, it obscures the views, but it can also make them amazing. It also makes the trail darker, like dawn or dusk without the colors. Creates a sort of graphite pencil vista. You can hear the forest dripping. I love that sound, also on my tent/tarp. As a kid I would love to go to sleep with that sound. Rain is a great air conditioning system; I tend to be hot for far too much of the year.

I have never found rain gear that would keep me dry while hiking. I tend to wear a poncho or even just a wind layer, and I sometimes wear gaiters. I do wear some kind of cap or hood to try to keep the rain from trickling down my back and getting in my face too much. But my feet always get wet as I wear ventilated shoes. I just get wet and then get dry somewhere down the trail. I have never used waterproof socks, nor foot grease. Nor Cat Crap or anything on my glasses. I find if I use that sort of stuff, I end up with it everywhere, and I have to wash my socks more. Well, I do need to wash my socks more anyway, as they get silted and crudded up. But that is just a bad thought that takes away from the idea that rain is neat. I'm going to get wet anyway, so why not enjoy it?

The only thing I really don't like is that rain is almost never a reliable shower. It's bound to be cold and unreliable: somebody is almost certain to turn off the tap just when you need to rinse.

Tinker
04-26-2010, 01:01
If you don't have a cat (http://www.rei.com/product/623337), can you use dog? ;)

Yes, but they're harder to get up to face level :D.

Tinker
04-26-2010, 01:02
A bad day of hiking beats a good day of work.