PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for hike in Northern VA in June?

Mud Dauber
04-25-2010, 21:23
I plan to go SOBO from Harpers Ferry starting mid June 2010 for two weeks. Temps in Shenandoah National Park can get to low 50s at night in June. I purchased a Hennessy Explorer UL for late spring through early fall hiking.

1. I haven’t purchased a sleeping bag yet. What do most hammock hikers use in summer for warmth – sleeping bag, quilt or something else?

2. Should I use a sleeping pad or not? Is a Speer SPE needed for this time of year?

Just Jeff
04-25-2010, 22:40
Top quilts are most convenient, but you can just throw a sleeping bag over you like a quilt.

You'll want something under you below about 70F...pad, underquilt, etc.

wisenber
04-26-2010, 22:30
I plan to go SOBO from Harpers Ferry starting mid June 2010 for two weeks. Temps in Shenandoah National Park can get to low 50s at night in June. I purchased a Hennessy Explorer UL for late spring through early fall hiking.

1. I haven’t purchased a sleeping bag yet. What do most hammock hikers use in summer for warmth – sleeping bag, quilt or something else?

2. Should I use a sleeping pad or not? Is a Speer SPE needed for this time of year?

If you want a Speer SPE, you'd best order one quick. They are being discontinued. If you don't want to buy one, you can always make one for under 10 bucks if you shop the bargain fabric bins.

If you're looking at 50's, you might get by with just a 1/4 inch pad. Gossamer Gear and Speer Hammocks have the wide ones that you can either fold over or trim to suit.