PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

TheKO
04-25-2010, 22:41
I was at REI this weekend. This tent seemed to have the best size to weight ratio. I am planning on a thru hike with a 50 LB dog and need a 2 person tent.

How will this hold Up? Pro/Cons?

mykl
04-26-2010, 00:46
Obvious the weight and size is the big pro. Cons, again with the size and shape. At 84" long, and the angles and slopes in the back, it didn't work for me (I laid in one at a store). I'm 6'3", but suppose it would be better for someone under 6'.
Also, the material is thin and seams very delicate. Something to consider with a dog.

butts0989
04-26-2010, 00:49
ya i dont know your size but if you;re under 6' it should be good. I personally at 5'11'' dont like it much, ive found that i have much more room in some of HS tarptents, plus the weight of them doesnt hurt

STICK
04-26-2010, 15:37
While 2013 is quite a ways away, it's the year that I am planning my thru. My choice of shelter is the TT Moment or the BA Fly Creek 1. I am leaning more towards the TT simply due to weight, however the thought of a "freestanding" tent is nice, and so is the thought of a double wall tent. I don't know it's up in the air.
You can look into getting your doggy some paw mitts for around camp. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea using in most any type of tent.

Wags
04-26-2010, 16:17
pass on the footprint and take a piece of tyvek. use this on the inside of the tent to prevent the ruffy from poking holes in it

mykl
04-26-2010, 17:30
Though the BA Fly Creek is technically freestanding, you would really want to bring a bunch of stakes to get the most out of it.
I never had a dog destroy a tent. But at over $300 and very thin, delicate material, I wouldn't chance it with a dog in the Fly Creek.

TheKO
04-27-2010, 10:22
Stick - I might see ya on the trail in 2013. I am also be doing a thru then. Retirement will be complete. I am in the process of determing what gear I will take. I have a Hubba now but don't think it is big enough for the both of us. Hubba Hubba seems heavy.

STICK
04-27-2010, 15:30
TheKO, sounds great. I can't wait for it to get here, but then again I have a lot to do to get ready for it so it's probably a good thing. Good luck to you, and hopefully I'll see you on the trail!

makoboy
04-27-2010, 16:05
I just got this tent for hiking solo with my dog and love it. While it is for the most part free-standing it does require a min of 8 stakes to tie out in order to hold the sides and vestibule out. I plan to use 2 peices of tyvek. One inside to prevent claw-holes and the second as a footprint. Execessive, probably. But the tyvek weighs next to nothing, and I plan to have the dog carry the one for the inside when she is with me.

TheKO
04-29-2010, 10:30
Makoboy - Please keep us informed as to how the tent and dog mix work out. Have a great time.

longhiker
05-06-2010, 18:55
I considered this tent for a while (and some TT Double Rainbow) before buying a different tent that was on deep discount (an MSR Carbon Reflex).. my main concern was the light fabric when I read about ti online but I checked it out in a store and it seems like it'd be alright if one is reasonably careful (uses a ground cloth etc)..

Try spadout.com to see if any place has a discount on this tent.

Live the Journey
05-06-2010, 19:05
I LOVE this tent and couldn't say more good things about it but the materials are like gossamer wings....meaning that I doubt they would survive much treading from doggy toenails. This tent has the most delicate floor material I've seen (with the exception of the full sil nylon structures) If it were me with my dog, I'd just make sure to use a good material as a footprint (not the factory made footprint that you can buy separately...this is still just more sil nylon....best of luck and happy hiking to you and your dog!

makoboy
05-10-2010, 10:56
So I had the tent out this weekend with the dog, and it worked out great. It held up fine through a really hard rain overnight. After setting it up in my back yard earlier in the week I decided that this is really a 1 1/2 person tent. I ended up not bringing the inner peice of tyvek. Instead the dog slept on half of a z-rest with a fleece blanket over it. Between my sleeping bag, pack and her "bed" there really wasnt any floor showing for her to step on.