PDA

View Full Version : Hammockers, where do you put your dog?

arinderk
04-26-2010, 07:25
Is there any way possible to hammock and also have your dog enclosed within the same space? i.e., without using a separate tent for the dog and so the dog, like the person, isn't exposed to the outside critters that creep through the night.....?? :-?

sasquatch2014
04-26-2010, 07:38
Unless you are brining some little toy dog there isn't anything that is going to mess with your pooch at night. Notice how I didn't say you pooch wont mess with them? That is a separate issue.

When I bring Hank with me I have him tied off to the line of the hammock. I have a pad for him to give him some insulation from the ground and he stays under the hammock. If it is windy I will stake down my fly to provide more of a windbreak. By having him tied to the hammock if he gets up and really goes anywhere it will wake me up at which point I give him a command and he goes back to bed.

kayak karl
04-26-2010, 07:48
Is there any way possible to hammock and also have your dog enclosed within the same space? i.e., without using a separate tent for the dog and so the dog, like the person, isn't exposed to the outside critters that creep through the night.....?? :-?

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=239323#poststop

im thinking of making a tyvek T-Pee (pyramid shape) to put on ground under me. last trip she slept in hammock. she was 24 lb 2 weeks ago. 34 NOW. LOL. maybe i'll be sleeping under hammock:D

Just Jeff
04-26-2010, 08:07
There's a picture of Smee from Jacks R Better sleeping with his dog in the hammock. She's between his legs, and her head is poking out of the No Sniveler head hole. Extra warmth for him, but it would be hard to have a Three Dog Night in the hammock...

Wise Old Owl
04-26-2010, 09:43
Before you do that KK use your poncho! They love it.

wisenber
04-26-2010, 23:22
I've got three dogs, and I hike with all them individually ( I'd never be able to keep track of all three at once).
The smallest one is a rat terrier mix (about 16 lbs), and she sleeps in the hammock with me. I just have to leave a spot for her nose to poke out from the TQ to keep her respiration from wetting out my down.

The next one is a 50 lbs retriever mix. She normally sleeps under my hammock on a sit pad. I normally carry one of the heavy space blankets for a ground cloth to set my gear on under the tarp. The space blanket and the sit pad combined with being under a tarp AND my hammock keeps her warm down into the 20's or so. She's been known to climb into the hammock as well when it gets below the 20's. It's a bit crowded, but we manage to keep each other warmer.

My biggest dog is a husky-shepherd mix. She basically does as my retriever mix, but never gets cold enough to bother with the hammock. (I've seen her sleeping quite soundly at close to 0 below my hammock.)

When the dogs under my hammock act like they're getting too cold, I've also been able to fold the space blanket (the heavy ones are more rigid) into a small tent over the dog with my pack shielding the opening. My guess is that the combination of tarp, hammock, CCF and space blanket tent is as warm or warmer than most insulated dog houses.

Lots of options. I don't know that I'd want to bother with pitching a separate tend or tarp for my dogs. I doubt that they'd stay in it as they like to be close and know where I am at night.

The sad part is that I started taking my dogs with me in part because I thought they'd be good at alerting me to something nearby at night. I figured I could sleep easier that way. In reality, the dogs figure I have THEIR BACK, so they sleep right through anything. In their eyes, I'm just basically there to set their bed up and serve dinner.

SawnieRobertson
04-27-2010, 09:21
Lots of options. I don't know that I'd want to bother with pitching a separate tend or tarp for my dogs. I doubt that they'd stay in it as they like to be close and know where I am at night.

The sad part is that I started taking my dogs with me in part because I thought they'd be good at alerting me to something nearby at night. I figured I could sleep easier that way. In reality, the dogs figure I have THEIR BACK, so they sleep right through anything. In their eyes, I'm just basically there to set their bed up and serve dinner.

Yes, I think you've got it, but there is still a partnership there if only in our minds. I have procrastinated about giving my hammock and dog(s) a trial night. With the one who has been a trail dog, I have found from within the tent that she either becomes quite quiet when a carnivorous beast (coyote) comes around or becomes an out-of-control reactor to something smaller (porcupine) or just keeps the peace by letting out a deep growl. My fear has been that I in the tent might become a pea in a pod, totally helpless to get out.

Must face up to this soon and allow my dogs and I a chance to learn. I have a journal going now that is not doing any walking because I have hit a brick wall that is keeping me on task at home. Can't do much to move that out of the way, it seems, but I can use this time fruitfully be venturing out between the apple trees and hanging.

Thank each of you who has contributed to this thread. It gives me ideas about how one dog at a time and I could go on the trail for a night. Any other true stories will be appreciated. Thanks, Wisenburg, for asking the question.--Kinnickinic:clap

SawnieRobertson
04-27-2010, 09:24
My fear has been that I in the tent might become a pea in a pod, totally helpless to get out. .--Kinnickinic:clap

I should have said "My fear has been that I IN THE HAMMOCK might become a pea in a pod, totally helpless to get out." Sorry.--Kinnickinic