PDA

View Full Version : Need a fix for shoulder straps

Mrs Baggins
04-26-2010, 13:30
Both my hubby and I bought REI Flash 65 packs last year - his is the mens large and mine is the womens small. We used them for the first time this past weekend. We loved everything about them but we both had the one same complaint - - the shoulder straps. They just seem to be set so far apart. Pulling the sternum strap tighter just hurt across my chest and while it did draw the straps closer in the front, in the back they were still too far apart and I was constantly "shrugging" them back up onto my shoulders closer to my neck. Hubby had the same problem. It's not a problem I had with my Gregory Jade but I much more prefer the Flash for too many other reasons to go back to the Jade.

I just need to know if there's a simple fix for this - something that we could afix to the straps at our backs to draw them closer together and keep them from constantly feeling as though they're slipping off to the sides. I'm not any kind of "craft" person and I don't sew. But I can follow directions if someone has any ideas.

10-K
04-26-2010, 14:38
Well, I have a 6 Moons Designs Swift pack with the opposite problem - the straps were too close together.

I mailed it back to them with $20 and marked where I wanted the straps moved with a Sharpie. They resewed the straps and sent it back - all good.

If you don't sew, maybe you could find a place that does clothing alterations and take it to them to modify for you?

jrwiesz
04-26-2010, 14:45
Perhaps those large type rubber bands, like those that you get wrapped around broccoli or carrots. Place one in a figure eight configuration up near the top of the straps and close to the pack where the strap is attached, it may help keep them pulled in. If not rubber bands, try duct tape in a simular fashion to create a tightening effect towards the top of the straps.

Perhaps a seamstress could rip-out the seam where the straps are attached at the top, and re-sew them in closer together. Or, sew a pleat on the inner portion of the top of the strap, thus making it shorter than the outer portion of the strap, and keeping it pulled in more towards the shoulders.

Or, the pat answer, return to REI.

Good luck with your project, let us know what works. :sun

LawsonKline
04-26-2010, 15:11
I know someone that had this exact same problem. He made something similar a sternum strap that went behind his shoulders..It looked kind of goofy but he said it worked great??? You could also try and resew the straps into the right place.

harryfred
04-26-2010, 15:20
I'd vote for the return to REI. Their return policy is what makes their prices worth while. If you want?; My wife does repairs and alterations at home to supplement the income and she has done numerous repairs to my gear. She has the heavy duty machines. We don't live all that far apart. We could PM each other and work something out. My wife did say to post a picture of the strap area of you pack so she could get an idea of how to modify it.

Wags
04-26-2010, 16:22
just a thought, maybe the hip belts weren't adjusted right? i don't have much of the load of my pack on my shoulders...