PDA

View Full Version : Happy Hiker Hollow - Atkins, VA

Jeff
04-26-2010, 14:05
While hiking around SW Virginia this month, I had the opportunity to stay overnight at Happy Hiker Hollow. I came away very impressed and highly encourge folks to consider this place. It is definitely not a hostel. Rambunny likes to call it a "Hiker Home". That's a real good description....private rooms, quiet, no hiker funk and everyone treated in a first class fashion. The dinner and breakfast was top quality and AYCE.

If any of you liked The Cabin in Andover, ME you will love Happy Hiker Hollow. Rambunny and Aqua worked for Honey and Bear in '04 and '06. They sure learned well !!!!!

SawnieRobertson
04-27-2010, 09:02
While hiking around SW Virginia this month, I had the opportunity to stay overnight at Happy Hiker Hollow. I came away very impressed and highly encourge folks to consider this place. It is definitely not a hostel. Rambunny likes to call it a "Hiker Home". That's a real good description....private rooms, quiet, no hiker funk and everyone treated in a first class fashion. The dinner and breakfast was top quality and AYCE.

If any of you liked The Cabin in Andover, ME you will love Happy Hiker Hollow. Rambunny and Aqua worked for Honey and Bear in '04 and '06. They sure learned well !!!!!

Nice post. Yes, Rambunny and Aqua are giving so much effort to this that those who use the services that they offer are in a thumbs up situation from beginning to end.--Kinnickinic

Rain Man
04-27-2010, 10:58
Fishbone and I stopped by last Columbus Day weekend on the way to section hike a bit further north. He had stayed at the HHHH on previous trips and wanted to say "Hello." I was very impressed and definitely plan to stay there on my next section hike, which will be right in that area from Mount Rogers NRA to Akins/I-81. Here's a photo of Fishbone in front of the HHHH.

Rain:sunMan

The_Saint
04-27-2010, 11:27
I've heard it's nice, some of my friends stayed there last year.

Rainman-Why do you have a partial Bible verse in your sig?

Lead Dog
04-27-2010, 11:57
Hey Rainman give me directions to this place pls. I live in Pulaski and hike that way some and would like to run by after a day hike.

wcgornto
04-27-2010, 12:22
I stayed there on my SOBO hike last year. the AYCE was more than I could eat, even on my ravenous thru hiker appetite.

It was a superb experience and excellent hospitality all around.

Rain Man
04-27-2010, 17:21
Hey Rain Man give me directions to this place pls. I live in Pulaski and hike that way some and would like to run by after a day hike.

LD, here is the contact info I have, and I just spoke with Rambunny this afternoon, in fact.

276-783-3754
484 Phillipi Hollow Road
Atkins, VA 24311

Rain Man

Rain Man
04-27-2010, 17:23
Rain Man-Why do you have a partial Bible verse in your sig?

Not sure what you mean, but all Bible verses are "partial." King James' guys just chopped the text into verses wherever they wanted. The original didn't even have punctuation,-- a fairly modern "invention" in itself.

Rain Man

mad4scrapping
04-27-2010, 17:37
Rain Man-- when do you intend to do this section? I'd like to do this section and I would prefer to hike with a group.
You may remember you were kind enough to invite me to join you on a hike when I visited Nashville but I was not able to take you up on your offer. Perhaps I could get a rain check (pun intended) and hike with you in Virginia instead.

Rain Man
04-27-2010, 22:43
Rain Man-- when do you intend to do this section?

There's a small move afoot (pun!) to have me lead a Nashville Backpackers Meetup group hike in June, partly to see the rhododendrons, etc. Check that Meetup group for updates. Not sure right now that it will happen, but probably. You are still more than welcome to join us. We would start at Dickey Gap, if we do this, and hike short days for a weekend.

mad4scrapping
04-28-2010, 09:26
Thanks, Rain Main. I'll check with the Meet up site. I tried to send you a PM but your e-mail thinks I'm SPAM. I've been called a ham before, but not a SPAM.

mad4scrapping
04-28-2010, 09:28
P.S. I get to Nashville fairly frequently on business, so I'll check to see if I can join your group on other hikes as well. That would be cool!

BobTheBuilder
04-28-2010, 10:09
I stayed with Bunny and Aqua this spring during a section hike, and they were the best. I recommend their place with absolutely no hesitation. I ate great, slept great, and felt comfortable the entire time. First class people. My only disappointment was that I couldn't eat everything that Bunny cooked.

The_Saint
04-28-2010, 11:56
Not sure what you mean, but all Bible verses are "partial." King James' guys just chopped the text into verses wherever they wanted. The original didn't even have punctuation,-- a fairly modern "invention" in itself.

Rain Man

I'm saying I looked that verse up and that isn't the point of it. Doesn't matter to me much, just wondering that's all.

Rain Man
04-28-2010, 12:40
Thanks, Rain Main. I'll check with the Meet up site. I tried to send you a PM but your e-mail thinks I'm SPAM. I've been called a ham before, but not a SPAM.

Hmmmm.... a "PM" is a Private Message here on WhiteBlaze? You tried to send me one of those? My mailbox here says I am not over my quota there.

I sent you an email earlier today. Were you replying to it? And did Yahoo bounce it back to you? Not sure why that would happen.

Keep trying.

ShoelessWanderer
04-28-2010, 13:38
Thanks for posting this! Going to be section hiking this area later this summer...will have to check them out.