PDA

View Full Version : Blow some holes in our gear lists.

loki_racer
04-26-2010, 14:20
Only a couple days to go before my wife and I attempt to do Springer Mountain to Fontana Dam in 7.5 days.

We plan to food resupply at Neels Gap and NOC.

I've been a lurker on here for a while and hopefully have done all my research. Now I'm asking you guys to blow holes in our gear lists. These lists do not include clothes that we are wearing when we start.

Wife's pack:
2L camelbak bladder
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
8 dinners (4 for her + 4 for me)
4 breakfasts
4 lunches
2 pairs of zip off pants
7 underwear
2 shirts
2 pairs wool socks + 4 liners
dry sack for clothes
poncho
head lamp
blistex
first aid kit
bear bag for food
backpack rain cover
sunglasses
spork
bar of soap + washcloth

My pack
2L camelbak bladder
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
tent
gerber multitool
4 lunches
4 breakfasts
head lamp
SPOT
camera
1 shirts
1 pants
2 socks
stove + pot
1 gas cannister
lighter
glow stick
fire starter stick
backpack rain cover
hat
rope to hang bear bag
spork
washcloth
water filter (hiker pro)

Please help us make sure we don't forget something major or that is commonly brought for convenience.

daddytwosticks
04-26-2010, 14:29
SEVEN underware?

loki_racer
04-26-2010, 14:39
She likes clean underwear. Who am I to complain?

Pootz
04-26-2010, 14:47
I second the 7-underwear comment.
Not sure what you need the glow stick for, you already have a headlamp each.
warm clothes for camp
rain coat for you
Tooth brush and paste
ditch the bar of soap, just use water.

I would do maildrops at both of your resupply points. I only did 2 maildrops during my entire thru hike, but would add these 2 spots to my list.

I am also interested in a report on how well your spot works, I would even enjoy following you if you want to share your findmespot info. I have used my SPOT on a couple over night hikes and it seems to work very well.

Enjoy your hike.

10-K
04-26-2010, 14:51
7.5 days is moving along pretty good... I hiked it in 8 days and would have finished in 7 if I hadn't of spent an extra half day in Franklin but know that there are some rather difficult climbs in this section.

At any rate, that's an ambitious schedule... If you're really going for it, I'd drop 2 of the 4 days worth of food you're starting with because you'll be going through Neels Gap the afternoon of your second day. That'll save you some weight.... You can get enough at Neel's Gap to get you to NOC and then you're just a day and half from Fontana.

Don't forget your toothbrushes..

... and that is a lot of underwear. :)

Alligator
04-26-2010, 14:55
What about snacks?

Why the glow stick? Entertainment:D?

I'd carry camp suds vs a bar of soap.

Wife doesn't have a hat.

Neither has a vest or something warm listed to wear, light gloves would be nice as well.

Husband does not have rain gear listed.

How about a knife?

loki_racer
04-26-2010, 15:01
I am also interested in a report on how well your spot works http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=09hz0UQ81yqtD5XX7qpWFVqE83qWMYe RU - It will start tracking on April 29th.

7.5 days is moving along pretty good... I hiked it in 8 days and would have finished in 7 if I hadn't of spent an extra half day in Franklin but know that there are some rather difficult climbs in this section.

At any rate, that's an ambitious schedule... If you're really going for it, I'd drop 2 of the 4 days worth of food you're starting with because you'll be going through Neels Gap the afternoon of your second day.

The only reason I took 4 days is for worst case scenario. I plan to leave out of Neels with 5 days of food (1 more than we expect to use).

loki_racer
04-26-2010, 15:03
Toothbrushes and sweatshirts added.

I'd rather hike in the rain then attempt to stay dry under a poncho. I have more than a few miles under my belt in this condition.

Knife on the multitool (Skeletool (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/4221370))

Ox97GaMe
04-26-2010, 15:11
Is the reason for only 4 of each meal because you plan to stay at Neels Gap Hostel and at NOC for an overnight? There is also the assumption that you will have breakfast before you hit the trail at Springer. Even then, you are accounting for 6 dinners and 6 breakfasts for a 7.5 day trip. I think you may need an extra of each for the trip.

Looking at the daily average mileage, Neels doesnt seem like an option for an overnight stay. You would be coming there sometime mid-day of day 2. NOC makes sense as it would then be a day + a half day from there to Fontana.

I was also curious as to why you werent considreing a resupply from Dicks Creek. Is the assumption that you will be able to hike from Neels to NOC in 4 - 4.5 days? you could mail drop to Blueberry Patch. It is a pretty easy hitch down and back to the trail from there.

As for the rest of the gear, looks pretty reasonable. Of course, we dont know the weight of each of these items, so couldnt say whether total pack weight would be condusive to attempt to hike the 170 miles in the 7.5 days. To average nearly 25 miles a day on the AT, you need to either be in excellent shape when you start or have your total pack weight near or below 25 pounds. IMO

10-K
04-26-2010, 15:13
The only reason I took 4 days is for worst case scenario. I plan to leave out of Neels with 5 days of food (1 more than we expect to use).

Like was mentioned, you can mail yourself a box of food to Neel's Gap and NOC.

4 days worth of food to get to Neel's Gap is (IMO) way too much if you're planning on hiking 22+ mile days from the beginning. No harm in carrying it other than the weight penalty.

Hiawassee and Frankliln are both very easy hitches if you don't want to carry 5 days worth of food out of Neel's Gap.

FWIW, I went into Hiawassee for the night and spent a day and a half in Franklin and still made it in 8 days.

I'd also watch the weather closely and try not to carry jackets, gloves and other cool weather gear unless necessary. I've went on 2 weekend hikes in the last month in the mountains of NC and didn't need more than a t-shirt and shorts the entire hike.

Mountain Wildman
04-26-2010, 15:15
Toilet paper, Hand sanitizer

loki_racer
04-26-2010, 15:20
Toilet paper, Hand sanitizer

Added and added. Thank you.

Ox97GaMe, we will try and stay at NOC on the 5th night. I didn't include any mail drops or resupply from places not directly on the trail. This is for no other reason than I have never done a mail drop and don't want to mess it up and don't want to have to leave the trail for anything due to extra time/mileage it adds. We will pick up extra food at Neels and NOC to keep 1 more days worth of food than we need to reach the next point.

My pack weighed in at 35 lbs. last week, but I estimate 5+ lbs. have been added in items we forgot. My wifes weighed in around 16 lbs. + 3 lbs. for forgotten items. I will get exact weights tonight after we do a full gear pack.

ShakeyLeggs
04-26-2010, 15:44
So far what everyone has stated is good. But my question is where is your shelter. I see no tent, hammock listed. Do not rely on the shelters plus having a shelter on you gives you more flexibility.

loki_racer
04-26-2010, 15:45
Tent is 4th on my gear list.

Glow stick is ICE if the headlamps go out.

Alligator
04-26-2010, 15:46

I'd rather hike in the rain then attempt to stay dry under a poncho. I have more than a few miles under my belt in this condition.

Knife on the multitool (Skeletool (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/4221370))Didn't see that, oops.

Spokes
04-26-2010, 15:47
I say:
- Your wife has way too many clothes
- What no snacks?
- What no tent (shelter)?

Consider comparing your list with this tried and true gear list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) from the "Pack Man" Winton Porter.

Enjoy.

Spokes
04-26-2010, 15:49

Glow stick is ICE if the headlamps go out.

I missed it too........ It's hard getting old.....

Alligator
04-26-2010, 15:51

Glow stick is ICE if the headlamps go out.A key ring light (photon) weighs just about nothing. Reusable too.

ShakeyLeggs
04-26-2010, 16:20
I missed it too........ It's hard getting old.....

Ya me too:mad::eek::D

sbhikes
04-26-2010, 17:11
Her pack:

2 pairs of zip off pants - If she's wearing one pair, that's the only pair she needs
7 underwear - If she's wearing one pair, that's the only pair she needs
2 shirts- If she's wearing one shirt, that's the only one she needs
2 pairs wool socks + 4 liners - Only one, maybe two liners but 3 pairs of wool, one of which is only worn to bed. Wash the liners.
bar of soap + washcloth - Not needed. Just a bandana and water is enough.

Your pack:

1 shirts - Don't pack an extra.
1 pants - Same with pants. Don't pack an extra.

You guys have so many clothes it sound like a trip to the laundromat, not a backpack trip.

10-K
04-26-2010, 17:17
Why the glow stick? Entertainment:D?

Maybe Ron Haven is having a rave at his new place in Hiawassee... :)

scope
04-26-2010, 17:30
If new/clean underwear is what gets your wife out there hiking with you, then by all means, take the 7 pair. Not like it weighs that much, especially considering you're lugging 35+lbs. That weight seems a little high to me in combo with your daily mileage. I can't believe you would want to hike that far that fast with that much weight.

Bear Cables
04-26-2010, 17:57
She likes clean underwear. Who am I to complain?

Suggestion to cut down on undies for her. ( I'm a "her") wear a panty liner and change it out to extend the wear of undies. I use the one to wear one to pack rule and the liners help with that. She can was out the worn pair and rewear.

Sub a small container (film canister?) of campsuds for the bars of soap and share. You can also wash dishes with it.

Two pair of zip offs? How about one pair and a pair of shorts.

Bear Cables
04-26-2010, 17:59
Please help us make sure we don't forget something major or that is commonly brought for convenience.

What are you sitting on? Are you using the sleeping pad for sitting and sleeping?

A two gallon ziploc bag might be lighter than a waterproof stuff sack for clothes.

Bear Cables
04-26-2010, 18:02

Not sweatshirts. If they get wet they take forever to dry out and are pretty bulky. How about a light weight fleece instead and maybe a thin thermal like silk or capilene.

Bear Cables
04-26-2010, 18:09
I know I've posted a few responses but I keep going back to your list and something else comes to mind. You have no insulation should the temps drop or you get wet. I mentioned a fleece in previous post but would add that instead of a poncho for her and for you as well, pack a rain parka that can double as an insulation layer and windblocker as well. I pack a gore tex shell and gore tex pants that weight very little. The pants can double over a pair of shorts should I need more warmth in the evenings.

garlic08
04-26-2010, 19:17
I'll pitch in here, too, for a rain layer. I don't bring raingear to stay dry--I bring it to stay alive when I get wet and the wind starts blowing. Seriously, I've been on windy ridges in 50F temps and closer to stage 2 hypothermia than I care to think. I know, you can always pitch a tent and get in the bag, but maybe not if you're pushing to make that pace. If it's a matter of trade-offs, I'd trade the spare shirt and pants for a rain jacket any day.

I think a fleece/sweater is overkill, but a good poly long underwear top would do nicely.

I did that hike in 8.5 days with a resupply and 24 hours off-trail in Franklin, and my pack weight never exceeded 20 pounds. I'm probably older than you, but I'd re-evaluate the 35 pound pack. But it's probably too late for major changes--best of luck anyway.

loki_racer
04-26-2010, 20:56
My modified gear list:

tent
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
camelbak (no water)
stove + gas canister
pot
4 lunches
rain jacket
2 socks
1 pants/shorts
1 shirt
1 underwear
toothbrush and paste
blistex
toilet paper
hand sanitizer
water filter
snacks
SPOT
camera
spork
lighter
headlamp

It weighs in at 22 lbs without water (2L bladder).

The wife is repacking hers now. I will get a modified gear list and weight.

Elder
04-26-2010, 22:06
Trekking Poles.

Lekis of course!:D

Tinker
04-26-2010, 22:12
If you have as good luck with hydration bladders as I have, I'd recommend a back-up water container. My MSR bladder sprung a leak last weekend but I didn't notice it until it bleached a section of my kitchen table while I sterilized it.
I usually have a Gatorade Quart bottle as a backup. I start with it full of Gatorade and either bring additional Gatorade or similar powder, or just use it to hold water.

Nuthatch
04-26-2010, 22:46
Only a couple days to go before my wife and I attempt to do Springer Mountain to Fontana Dam in 7.5 days.How many miles does that average per day?

garlic08
04-26-2010, 22:53
How many miles does that average per day?

That's about 22 miles per day.

garlic08
04-26-2010, 22:55
If you have as good luck with hydration bladders as I have, I'd recommend a back-up water container. My MSR bladder sprung a leak last weekend but I didn't notice it until it bleached a section of my kitchen table while I sterilized it.
I usually have a Gatorade Quart bottle as a backup. I start with it full of Gatorade and either bring additional Gatorade or similar powder, or just use it to hold water.

Amen to that. In fact, in that country, I'd leave the bladder behind and only carry the Gatorade bottle. It's more reliable and lighter weight. The only issue is it's nice to have a way to reach it while you're hiking and not every pack has a pocket you can reach.

Spokes
04-26-2010, 23:05
I'll pitch in here, too, for a rain layer. I don't bring raingear to stay dry--I bring it to stay alive when I get wet and the wind starts blowing. Seriously, I've been on windy ridges in 50F temps and closer to stage 2 hypothermia than I care to think. I know, you can always pitch a tent and get in the bag, but maybe not if you're pushing to make that pace. If it's a matter of trade-offs, I'd trade the spare shirt and pants for a rain jacket any day........

That is oh so true!

bflorac
04-27-2010, 00:06
bear bag for food - I assume this is really not a bear bag (too heavy) but rather a water proof bag you can but on the bear cables.
fleece - or something to keep warm in?
sunglasses - don't need them
deet? - only need a camp (if at all)
ear plugs - if you are staying in shelters
duct tape/super glue/tweezers
small notebook - if you journal
1G platypus or equiv - you might find this handy to get water and bring to camp, filter there
cell phone - charge at Neels gap and NOC. If you use, send text messages as they use less power.
Advil, Advil, Advil (ok, that is just me)

fyi - my list
(http://www.billflorac.com/2009%20At%20Stuff.htm)

bflorac
04-27-2010, 00:10
And, all above said, perhaps you should go ultra-light as this you will really need to cover some ground to do this is 7.5 days. Good luck.

Marta
04-27-2010, 06:48
And, all above said, perhaps you should go ultra-light as this you will really need to cover some ground to do this is 7.5 days. Good luck.

Ditto. I'd advise making sure you have some contact phone numbers of local shuttlers so that you can call for pickup at locations other than your planned exit point. It's extremely likely that you will not make the kind of miles you're planning, and will need to make alternative arrangements to get back to your car. Most people who are at the stage of their hiking career where they are posting gear lists for critique make closer to ten miles a day. (This is not a put-down--everyone was new to backpacking at some point.) The combination of a heavy load, unfamiliarity with the whole process of camping and backing up in the morning, and various aches and pains eat into the amount of distance you can hike in a day. You'll enjoy your hike a lot more if you can hike whatever distance feels comfortable. Knowing you HAVE to go 22 miles a day is an additional monkey on your back--a stress you don't need.

Carrying exit information is a good idea no matter what stage of your hiking career you're in--weather problems, illness, and injury can happen to anyone.

daddytwosticks
04-27-2010, 07:31
I'm still hung up on the underware for the Mrs...with all due respect, (and not closely reading all posts), has you wife hiked before, especially these big mile days? I truely hope you both have a great time. :)

bigcranky
04-27-2010, 07:54
Underwear: she needs non-cotton underwear. My wife has microfiber undies that she uses all the time. If you rinse them out in camp and hang them up inside your tent, they'll be dry by morning. So, bring a couple of extra pairs.

Soap: no bar soap, it just gets nasty. Take a tiny dropper bottle of liquid soap, or a couple travel packets of baby wipes, or a package of those dry soap wipes they sell in the cosmetics section -- just wet them to get a soapy wipe.

Light: put fresh batteries in your headlamp before you leave. Send a set of new batteries in your last mail drop. If each of you has a headlamp, then you already have a backup (the other person's light.)

When you get to Neels Gap, you can send stuff home that you decide you don't need. Of course, at 22 miles per day, you'll arrive at Neels Gap mid-morning on the second day of your hike, so you might not be ready to do that.

Are both of you experienced trail runners or road racers? Triathletes? Your user name suggests as much. If so, then your pace is doable, just realize that carrying a pack makes a huge difference in being able to make the miles quickly. The extra weight will also add to your calories needs.

Good luck. Most hikers take a week to go from Springer to the NC state line, and you'll be going twice that distance. I'll second Marta's advice -- she's one smart hiker.

loki_racer
04-27-2010, 08:35
Thanks for all the input. I have more than my fair share of miles with a pack on my back. My and I are both in what I would consider to be great shape. We have both run adventure races and she's running a partial marathon in May.

We are being dropped off at the start and have four pickup spots before Fontana Dam in case we don't make it.

Interesting idea to ditch the camelbaks. I've had mine for 10 years I think and it's seen more miles than I can count so hopefully we don't have a problem with them.

We've done three hikes in the last month with generally the same amount of gear or more. I use a wrist GPS for monitoring our speed and we've had no issues maintaining 2.5 miles / hour. This would put us at 9 hours a day of hiking.

We are well aware that the goal is steep. If we make it, we make it. If not, then we know we bit off a ton, and were warned, and will adjust our next section accordingly.

fredmugs
04-27-2010, 08:50
You don't mention what footwear you have on while hiking and I didn't see any footwear for camp. I would recommend, at the very least, some type of cheap flip flops so that you can walk around camp easily without socks and allow your feet to breathe.

fredmugs
04-27-2010, 08:52
Don't sweat the mileage.

garlic08
04-27-2010, 09:18
Thanks for all the input....We are well aware that the goal is steep. If we make it, we make it. If not, then we know we bit off a ton, and were warned, and will adjust our next section accordingly.

Best of luck to you both. That's not an unreasonable goal or pace--ten hour hiking days this time of year are actually fun if you like to hike, not rushed at all. You have a good safe plan and there's very little serious downside risk if you keep your head on.

I think you'll do fine and I hope you have a great time. You're right about gaining experience. Next year at this time you'll be one of those giving the advice! I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

sbhikes
04-27-2010, 09:19
If they are hiking 22 miles a day they don't need camp footwear as they won't be lolling around in camp. All they have to do is loosen the laces on their hiking shoes so they can slip them on and off easily when they get up to go pee in the middle of the night.

As for the underwear, seriously you can just wash a pair and let it dry in an outside pocket or pinned to your pack during the day. Do the same with socks. Nobody is going to care.

I've seen an adventure race once. The racers didn't carry anything. It's a huge difference between being in good shape when carrying nothing and hiking 22 miles a day with 3 changes of clothing or more in your pack. Seriously a change of hiking clothing is completely unnecessary. What you want is a layering system. Think of this hike like one of your adventure races. Your clothing has to be a system that will get you there, not a fashion statement or badge of cleanliness. Everything has to be a system. It works better to think of it like this than to try to reproduce the lifestyle of home.

JJJ
04-27-2010, 09:25
No gear comments, but good luck guys and have fun.
I've learned from and enjoyed the comments here.

Spokes
04-27-2010, 09:30
Thanks for all the input.......

....We are well aware that the goal is steep. If we make it, we make it. If not, then we know we bit off a ton, and were warned, and will adjust our next section accordingly.

Loki_Racer, be sure to do a follow-up post to let us all know how it works out, what you'd change, and the comparison of marathon fitness to trail fitness.

All The Best,

Spokes

robmurphy
04-27-2010, 11:17
Bring insect repellant. I was on this stretch a week ago and got eaten alive by small flies.

Please let us know how it went.

Nean
04-27-2010, 15:08
35 lbs is not a heavy pack unless you are a small child or a very old, weak (perhaps disabled) man.;)

22 mpd is hitting the ground running and as pointed out, can and has been done. I could probably do it myself (and probably did as a sobo thru) but... I'm not a big schedule fan and would rather go with the flow of my enjoyment, be it more or less mpd. Youens enjoy your trip no matter why you are doing it!:)

bigcranky
04-27-2010, 18:40
35 lbs is not a heavy pack unless you are a ... very old, weak (perhaps disabled) man.;)

Well, okay, but 35 pounds is about my limit. Feels heavy to me. Guess I'm getting old and weak...

Marta
04-27-2010, 19:14
Thanks for all the input. I have more than my fair share of miles with a pack on my back. My and I are both in what I would consider to be great shape. We have both run adventure races and she's running a partial marathon in May.

We are being dropped off at the start and have four pickup spots before Fontana Dam in case we don't make it.

Interesting idea to ditch the camelbaks. I've had mine for 10 years I think and it's seen more miles than I can count so hopefully we don't have a problem with them.

We've done three hikes in the last month with generally the same amount of gear or more. I use a wrist GPS for monitoring our speed and we've had no issues maintaining 2.5 miles / hour. This would put us at 9 hours a day of hiking.

We are well aware that the goal is steep. If we make it, we make it. If not, then we know we bit off a ton, and were warned, and will adjust our next section accordingly.

Sounds like you'll be fine. One of the great things about that section is that if you decide you've got too much stuff with you, you can always unload some of it at Neels Gap and mail it home to yourself.

restless
04-27-2010, 19:56
I would consider replacing the waster filter with a lighter alternative like Aqua Mira or similar. This time of year, your water sources will be plentiful and Aqau-Mira doesn't have any parts that can break. Ditto on the camelbacks. I usually carry a couple of plastic gatorade bottles. Ditto on Neans comment about going with the flow, be it more or less mpd. Good luck and enjoy whatever it is you take with you. It's your hike.

loki_racer
04-27-2010, 23:08
Wife is down to 22lbs. with 2L of water and I am down to 28lbs. with 2L of water. It will go up a little leaving Neels Gap, but only one days worth of foods of weight.

Once we hit the trail we will go with the flow mostly. We have goals to hit, but that's only because we have limited time and want to see Fontana Dam.

Thanks for all the help and ideas. We leave for the trailhead Thursday at 2am and will wrap up on Thursday. I will update everyone on Thursday evening.

DesertMTB
04-27-2010, 23:40
I would ditch half the food and resupply at Neels Gap. I would also get rid of the multi-tool, glow stick and fire starter stick.

7.5 days seems a little ambitous to me

TIDE-HSV
04-28-2010, 00:29
As for the underwear, seriously you can just wash a pair and let it dry in an outside pocket or pinned to your pack during the day. Do the same with socks. Nobody is going to care.

SB, in the southeast, I've hiked for days with stuff attached to the outside of my pack, not necessarily because I ever thought it would dry, but because it was one more wet item out of my pack. I've packed in both the mountain west and in the Appalachians, and it's two different worlds, so far as humidity is concerned...

sbhikes
04-28-2010, 10:24
It's just panties. Even if they aren't totally try at least they wouldn't be moldering wet in the pack. I usually would just wash my one pair and wear them wet. They'd dry well enough worn.

loki_racer
05-03-2010, 10:45
Figured I would give everyone an update about out trip. We didn't make it the 7.5 days we had planned. Coming off Blood Mtn. my knee started acting up (I've had PCL and ACL repairs and part of the meniscus is gone). We covered roughly 16 miles the first day, 17 miles the second and 6 the third.

We made it to Neels Gap and decided that it was worth risking more injury to continue.

Here (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/31961577) is a copy of our GPS information.

All I can say is: whoa. After spending three days on the trail, I have 1000 times more respect for anyone in the 2000/year club.

On the second night a 400 lbs black bear came in to the shelter before Blood Mountain (I think it was Woody Gap). He came twice and tried to get the food on the bear cable. He wasn't the least aggressive, but he was easily 400 lbs. and knew exactly where to find the human food.

garlic08
05-03-2010, 11:29
Thanks for the update. Sorry your plans changed, but it's good you tried.

Any lessons learned about the gear you brought? Will you carry different stuff if you try it again?

Was the pace too ambititious? Do you think the injury would have happened anyway at a slower pace?

Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

loki_racer
05-03-2010, 11:32
I forgot to mention. The staff at Walayisi had to be some of the nicest people I have ever met. The owner of the place should be given an award and the employees should be commended for their attitudes.

Here are some photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/charlotte.developer/AppalachianTailDay1#
http://picasaweb.google.com/charlotte.developer/AppalachianTrailDay2#
http://picasaweb.google.com/charlotte.developer/AppalachianTrailDay3#

nox
05-03-2010, 11:50
maybe add a waterbottle so you can clean dishes, brush teeth, make food without having to unload your camelbak every time.

loki_racer
05-03-2010, 11:52
Our pace was obviously over ambitious. We made Neels Gap in three days (15 miles, 17 miles, and the remainder). If we were to do it again, I think we would attempt to cover those first 30 miles or so in three days, spreading the miles out more evenly (10 miles a day). After coming off Blood Mtn. I think we would try to ramp up the miles slowly. I also think the injuries (we think my wife has a stess facture in her foot as well) wouldn't have happened at a slower starting pace. We were never in pain until around mile 12 or 13 of the first two days.

I don't think we had any gear issues. I was less than impressed with our Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (http://www.rei.com/product/796087) but only because I am 6'3" and when laying down, my head and feet both touched the tent.

We both really like camelbaks bladders, but hated having to empty our packs just to pull out the bladders. If where were a way to hook our water pump to the hose of the bladder to refill them, I think this would have resolved most of our complaints.

I ended up never changing clothes. The second set was nice to put on after showering in the hostel, but for that section, a second set is not needed.

Blissful
05-03-2010, 14:17
Yeah I found out the hard way knees and high miles don't add up (on my last section hike). When I got back on I started back slow at 10-12 and then began to creep up my miles, able to do 16 in about ten days. Works much better and you will have a much funner time.

Rocket Jones
05-04-2010, 10:44
I forgot to mention. The staff at Walayisi had to be some of the nicest people I have ever met. The owner of the place should be given an award and the employees should be commended for their attitudes.

Here are some photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/charlotte.developer/AppalachianTailDay1#
http://picasaweb.google.com/charlotte.developer/AppalachianTrailDay2#
http://picasaweb.google.com/charlotte.developer/AppalachianTrailDay3#

Nice photos, thanks for sharing.