PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a month starting May?

Kiwi1
04-26-2010, 16:04
Hi All

I'm coming from New Zealand with about 4/5 weeks to do a section hike starting in early May - any suggestions for where to start and finish?

Was thinking either to start at Springer and see how far North I get, or perhaps to Start in Virginia and see how much of the State I get through. Any other ideas for this time of year?

With regard to logistics, does one have to have a pre-defined exit point, or is it easy enough to get out to any old town along the way and get transport to a city from there?

Thanks very much and sorry about the newbie questions.

Lone Wolf
04-26-2010, 16:07
Start in Damascus, Va. and walk NOBO

johnnybgood
04-26-2010, 16:18
Exit at Rockfish Gap , at the southern end of Shenandoah Nat'l Park.

wcgornto
04-26-2010, 17:04
Exit at Rockfish Gap , at the southern end of Shenandoah Nat'l Park.

With 4/5 weeks, depending on hiking condition, exit at Front Royal on the northern end of SNP.

TheCheek
04-26-2010, 17:37
It depends on what you are looking for.

If you want a more social experience on a great, relatively gentle section of trail, I agree with the above.
If you want a more challenging, somewhat more scenic section with fewer folks on the trail, you could go from Hudson River, NY to Pinkham Notch, NH. You might hit some snow in the Whites though. Nice thing to end in the Whites is that there are numerous alternate end points nearby that would still be a hitch or two away from Gorham.

Kiwi1
04-27-2010, 02:08
Awesome - thanks for the tips.

This last suggestion (Hudson River, NY to Pinkham Notch, NH) is interesting. Can you tell me a bit more about the Hudson River trailhead? I was trying to find that point on some of the maps, but wasn't sure - is it in the Hudson Highlands State Park?

TheCheek
04-27-2010, 07:59
Sure. The trail crosses the river on a big auto bridge so if you start precisely at the Hudson then there is no "trailhead" to speak of. Do you know anyone in the USA that could drop you off? It's either that or get a ride in via cab or something from NY city. Having a ride available in the Whites would be harder to find.

fredmugs
04-27-2010, 09:06
Damascus to Harpers Ferry is roughly 550 miles. I have section hiked all of this during the months of April and May and the weather is pretty ideal for hiking. At Harpers Feery you should be able to get to Washington, DC.

Cookerhiker
04-27-2010, 10:21
Awesome - thanks for the tips.

This last suggestion (Hudson River, NY to Pinkham Notch, NH) is interesting. Can you tell me a bit more about the Hudson River trailhead? I was trying to find that point on some of the maps, but wasn't sure - is it in the Hudson Highlands State Park?

Sure. The trail crosses the river on a big auto bridge so if you start precisely at the Hudson then there is no "trailhead" to speak of. Do you know anyone in the USA that could drop you off? It's either that or get a ride in via cab or something from NY city. Having a ride available in the Whites would be harder to find.

The location of said bridge is Bear Mountain State Park, NY. It happens to be the lowest point elevation-wise of the entire AT. There are 2 ways via public transit to reach Bear Mountain - bus directly to Bear Mountain or train to the town of Peekskill where you take a cab to Bear Mountain. Bear Mountain is on the west side of the Hudson (hence the bridge) and Peekskill is on the east.

Here are links to the bus (http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Bear+Mountain&s2=NY&resultId=889&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Fshortline%2Fss%2Etickets%2Easp&cbid=47220675674) & train (http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/schedules.htm) - for the latter, click on "Hudson Line."

Finally, should you decide to hike this stretch to Pinkham Notch, there's one bus daily (http://www.concordtrailways.com/berlin-to-boston.html) from Pinkham Notch to Boston from whence you can get a train to NY for your return flight.

TheCheek
04-27-2010, 10:51
Thanks cookerhiker. I was hoping someone with better information would chime in to help.

Kiwi1, I just looked it up and the total mileage on my suggested route is about 470 miles, which for a 4 week trip means you would be needing to average nearly 17 miles. On further reflection it might be a lot, especially because even seasoned thru hikers often struggle to make 12 mile days in the whites. If you have 5 weeks that would be better in my opinion. The other option for a 4 week hike is not starting at Bear Mountain bridge and instead somewhere further north like Kent, CT, which would shave off about 70 miles. But I am not sure about transportation again in that area. The key is to at least see some of the Whites! :)

Cookerhiker
04-27-2010, 11:44
Thanks cookerhiker. I was hoping someone with better information would chime in to help.

Kiwi1, I just looked it up and the total mileage on my suggested route is about 470 miles, which for a 4 week trip means you would be needing to average nearly 17 miles. On further reflection it might be a lot, especially because even seasoned thru hikers often struggle to make 12 mile days in the whites. If you have 5 weeks that would be better in my opinion. The other option for a 4 week hike is not starting at Bear Mountain bridge and instead somewhere further north like Kent, CT, which would shave off about 70 miles. But I am not sure about transportation again in that area. The key is to at least see some of the Whites! :)

He could shave off 45 miles by taking the MetroNorth train (Haarlem line) to Pawling and starting his hike at State Rt. 22. If on a weekend, he can alight at the AT Train Station. Otherwise, he can contact Sasquatch for leads on a shuttle.

stranger
04-27-2010, 23:14
Keep in mind if you are leaving NY in May, heading north, you are walking straight into Blackfly Season...now to put this into perspective, think of Milford Sound, or any other sandfly infested place...now enlarge the Sandfly 50-70 times...welcome to our New England Blackfly Season!

I would start either at Springer, or perhaps in Damascus. Starting at Springer would be quieter then Damascus, as you will be just behind thru-hiker season, jumping up to Damascus means dropping into the Nobo thru-hiker scene, which is cool if you want a social experience. Saying that, there will be plenty of people leaving from Springer in early May...I might be one of them!

In terms of getting out back to the airport, you do need to think about this to some degree. Your best bet will be Greyhound Bus Service, which will be able to get you to a major US city. Keep in mind, if you haven't booked your flights yet, it's much cheaper to fly into New York, then travel to the trail, then fly into a place like Atlanta, keep this in mind.

4/5 weeks you can expect to hike around 300-500 miles for most people, although 600 isn't outta the question. The AT is much more groomed than many NZ tramping tracks and extremely wall marked in most places, however, it's very rocky in places, and lacks switchbacks in many areas as well.

Almost every principle waterway is bridged, except in Maine, and you can hike from Springer to New Hampshire without fording a creek in most years, this should be a nice change for a Kiwi : )

Maybe see you out there

Kiwi1
04-28-2010, 15:45
Thanks for all the replies - its great to get some feedback on how things work while I'm sitting here on the other side of the world.

So - say I wanted to take my chances with the blackflies and head up from NY, does anyone know if there's a place in Pawling where I can get cannisters for my stove?

Cookerhiker
04-28-2010, 16:32
Thanks for all the replies - its great to get some feedback on how things work while I'm sitting here on the other side of the world.

So - say I wanted to take my chances with the blackflies and head up from NY, does anyone know if there's a place in Pawling where I can get cannisters for my stove?

I'm 100% sure that Sasquatch can answer that for you. If he doesn't find this thread in the next 24 hours, send him a PM.

singing wind
04-28-2010, 20:17
kiwi1 - G'day!

Geez, I just flew out of AKL 2 days ago - headed for the southern AT. Some good suggestions from previous posters - but hands down spring in the south is a special sight indeed. The weather is still a tad bit cold - glad I packed a light merino jersey and will carry some warmer gear.

The AT is pretty mellow, can be very social, has good resupply points, and public transportation is fairly accessible depending upon where you are. Check around whiteblaze - heaps of good information, The ALDHA web site, and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy for their shuttle list.

Say, have a good trip and enjoy your hike. Might see you out there.

Say,

fw2008
04-28-2010, 21:12
You could take the train to the AT from New York City, Grand Central Station. Metro North Harlem line. There is even a stop right on the AT between the Pawling and the Harlem Valley / Wingdale NY stations.

The AT stop is only available on weekends and holidays, and service is limited to only a few trains in each direction each day.
The Wingdale station is only 2mi north of the AT station, and offers much better service.

The distance from the AT train station to Pinkham Notch NH is 421.7 miles, according to the AT Data Book 2010.

You will find snow in the Whites of NH, especially in the ravines on Mount Washington.
I was up there twice on the last weekend in June, and once on the last weekend in July, and found snow in Tuckerman's Ravine on all 3 occasions.
The AT does not run along Tuckerman's though; it takes a much more circuitous route between the summit and Pinkham's.

Be sure to take a mosquito repellent. I prefer one that contains DEET, to repel ticks as well.

Have fun!

FW

Bare Bear
04-29-2010, 10:47
If you want to be with lots of hikers then go further north; but I would just start at Springer and go.....maybe someday you will be able to come back and do more and the NOBO section will make it easier to go again.
I have always gotten into trouble flip flopping pieces or trying just to do a section by itself (my battle plan never survives first contact). Have fun and welcome to the AT.