PDA

View Full Version : springer to neels

solo29
04-26-2010, 21:28
how many days should i plan to do this in ? and when would be the best time to of year to do it? i will using a hammock thanks in advance :-?

ardeaitch
04-26-2010, 21:40
It's 30 miles from Springer to Neels. How long it takes depends on a few things like how fit you are or aren't, your experience, the weather you have and so forth. Also depends on where you start - Amicalola or FS 42. Three or four days is in the range of possibilities - maybe longer or shorter depending on the factors above.

The best time to go again depends on you - but it's probably busiest in March and April with all the thru hikers.

ChinMusic
04-26-2010, 21:57
solo29 - I am 51 as well and consider myself ave to a bit below ave in speed for my age. I did that section in 3.5 days and was able to take my time and "smell the roses". The hemlocks along Stover Creek were amazing to me. I love those monsters. Long Creek Falls is a must stop as well. Took a nice nap on top of Big Cedar and basked in the sun.

IMO, take your time and don't just bust through it.

solo29
04-26-2010, 21:59
i will probably start at the fs rd 42 ive i ride bycycles a lot but its kind of flat down here ive been working out every day useinh my total gym and doing a lot of squts im from alabama and have hike the pinhoti trail once a year but would like to start doing the at thanks

ChinMusic
04-26-2010, 22:04
i will probably start at the fs rd 42 ive i ride bycycles a lot but its kind of flat down here ive been working out every day useinh my total gym and doing a lot of squts im from alabama and have hike the pinhoti trail once a year but would like to start doing the at thanks

Being in good shape and taking care of yourself is a good thing for anyone.

Hiking this section requires no great feat of strength/stamina. If you can walk for 5 miles around home you should be golden. Obviously you will do less cussing on the hills if you are in shape, but even if you are not, the hills eventually end.....:D

bigcranky
04-26-2010, 22:07
How much backpacking have you done? What kind of shape are you in? I see you are from Florida, which (no offense) limits how much elevation change you get in your daily walks.

If you start at the state park and climb the Approach Trail, the hike to Neels Gap can be done comfortably in 4.5 days.

1: Approach Trail to Springer Mountain, ~9 miles
2: Springer to Hawk Mountain Shelter, 8 miles
3: Hawk Mtn to Gooch Mountain Shelter, 8 miles
4: Gooch Mountain to Woods Hole Shelter, 12 miles
5: Woods Hole to Neels Gap, ~4 miles.

If you skip the Approach Trail, then 3.5 days would be reasonable.

Note that all of these shelters have decent tent sites nearby, along with good water, a privy, and possibly the company of people who share your interest in hiking and the Appalachian Trail.

You will find plenty of hikers here on Whiteblaze who hike 12, or 15, or 20, or 100 miles per day (or claim to, anyway.) They'll tell you it's an easy overnight from Springer to Neels Gap. That the trail in Georgia is "easy." This may be true for an experienced, in-shape hiker who has his (or her) hiking "legs" already. However, I have met many hikers on the trail who have regretted, for example, trying to reach Gooch Mountain Shelter from Springer in one day.

Go. Have fun. Try to keep your total pack weight below 40 pounds (below 35 is even better.) Take your time. Enjoy.

Tinker
04-26-2010, 22:16
It's Neel Gap. Just ask Lone Wolf. I hated to do it, but had to admit he was right after someone posted a picture of the sign by the road.
Re: time - I think Frosty and I did Amicalola to Neel Gap in four days, including a short day when we stopped at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega.

Tinker
04-26-2010, 22:17
Here: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/548798178sXxbQh

I've already read it :D.

Ladytrekker
04-26-2010, 22:22
Great info. I am doing this section at the end of May. If I get to Springer in 3.5 days and I want to do 2 more days where would be a good place to get off the trail.

max patch
04-26-2010, 22:24
Neels Gap.

LW is stirring the pot as usual.

If you read Winton's book he referred to it as Neels.

Its been Neels gap for about 60 years.

Tinker
04-26-2010, 22:33
Neels Gap.

I've actually seen the sign both ways.
Here's the one Lone Wolf referred to:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2HRM_AT_at_Walasi_Yi_Neels_Gap_North_GA

stranger
04-26-2010, 22:42
Springer to Neels Gap can be done, comfortably, in 2 days no problem...assuming you have experience, have done some miles before, and actually enjoy the physical act of hiking up and over mountains, ridges and hillsides. This assumes you are not hiking the approach trail, in which you would need to add a half day, or entire day.

If you are seeking time to chill out, smell the roses and spend alot of time at camp, then 3-4 days is probably more realistic. Personally speaking, nothing in GA is all that tough, but it all depends on your level of experience.

Tinker
04-26-2010, 22:46
Springer to Neels Gap can be done, comfortably, in 2 days no problem...assuming you have experience, have done some miles before, and actually enjoy the physical act of hiking up and over mountains, ridges and hillsides. This assumes you are not hiking the approach trail, in which you would need to add a half day, or entire day.

If you are seeking time to chill out, smell the roses and spend alot of time at camp, then 3-4 days is probably more realistic. Personally speaking, nothing in GA is all that tough, but it all depends on your level of experience.
Right. Georgia is an easy hike except in the mountains :D.
Of course, I began hiking in the Whites and then heard that they were the toughest part of the trail - maybe - I thought southern Maine was tougher.
Re: Trail conditions - except for portions of the AT along the Blue Ridge Parkway, I haven't hiked such smooth, relatively rock-free trail anywhere else so far.

fiddlehead
04-27-2010, 06:55
Depends if you want to sleep up on Blood Mtn or not.
I usually plan 2 days food and camp at a nice campsite on the north side of Blood a little more than half-way down.
Or, continue to the store if i get there early enough and get my maildrop.
That is if i can get a ride up to the FS road on top of Springer.
If i do the approach trail, then i add a days food.
I always use Neels for a maildrop on a thru or extended hike. (NOBO that is)

Hey does anybody remember when you could buy those official ATC patches from that old coot that owned the store in the '70's that said "George to Maine" on them?

On my SOBO hike in 2002, they gave me a free Ben & Jerry's as a congratulations gift.
Good on them. Gotta love these people.

10-K
04-27-2010, 08:24
I hike 200 miiles a day so it'd take me about 30 minutes to go from FS 42 to Neel's Gap. :)

Really, hiking it in 2 full days is very doable if you're in any kind of shape at all. 3 days is going slow @ 10 mpd. Anything over 3 days you're intentionally trying to make it last IMO.

Ladytrekker
04-27-2010, 11:19
After Neels Gap what is the next getting off and on the trail location if I want to hike farther than Neels Gap but only have a couple of days extra?

bigcranky
04-27-2010, 11:24
Hogpen Gap (but I think the road is closed?) and Unicoi Gap (which is a major road with easy shuttle.)

Bare Bear
04-29-2010, 11:08
I have done it usually in three to four days. Four and a half once with in inexperienced companion. I know a lady that took two weeks and loved it. HYOH but figure 3-4 as an easy enjoyable trip.

Cool AT Breeze
04-29-2010, 16:23
Neels Gap.

The plaque in front of the store says Neel Gap and has been there since 1934.

max patch
04-29-2010, 16:53
The plaque in front of the store says Neel Gap and has been there since 1934.

In 1934 Neel Gap was the correct and legal name.

However, over the years Neels Gap became the commonly used pronounciation by the local residents. In 1950 the name was legally changed to Neels Gap to reflect local useage.

Cool AT Breeze
04-29-2010, 17:03
So they have been wrong for over half a century. The locals also call this place Walaseea, dosen't make it right.

max patch
04-29-2010, 17:23
So they have been wrong for over half a century. The locals also call this place Walaseea, dosen't make it right.

The Indians named it Walasi-Yi which means great frog. When the white man settled the area they called it Frogtown Pass or Frogtown Gap. After Neel surveyed the area it was called Neel Gap until 1950 when the name was legally changed to Neels Gap to reflect local useage.

Your boss used the term Neels Gap in his book.

Cool AT Breeze
04-29-2010, 17:42
The boss has editors. Walasi-Yi means frog Place. I know you read it on the interweb, it must be true.

FatMan
04-29-2010, 18:26
Yep, its Neel Gap. Every map published in the last half century, the Federal Government, the State of Georgia, and Union County has it wrong. Give it a rest everybody... the legal name is Neels Gap. Max Patch has it absolutely correct. The name changed to Neels from Neel decades ago due to local usage.

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=135:3:7174976831730780::NO:3:P3_FID,P3_TITLE:3 56662%2CNeels%20Gap

If LW and Cool Breeze, and all the other AT cool guys want to change it back to Neel Gap here is a link they use to file for a name change using the link below.

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=125:2006:4195820446238084

10-K
04-29-2010, 18:37
And all this time I thought it was The First Place with Ice Cream Gap.

Graywolf
04-29-2010, 18:51
The Indians named it Walasi-Yi which means great frog. When the white man settled the area they called it Frogtown Pass or Frogtown Gap. After Neel surveyed the area it was called Neel Gap until 1950 when the name was legally changed to Neels Gap to reflect local useage.

Your boss used the term Neels Gap in his book.

The Cherokee Indians named it Walasi-Yi long before Mr. Neel helped build the road through the gap..Therefore, all of you are wrong, including the Feds, etc..It Is Walas-Yi, the Land of the forgs and my people will always remember it as such....rib-bit!!!;)

But fering it as Neel Gap is in correct english anyway, when you come down from Blood Mountain you more likely want to Kneel down, so I propose to call it Kneel Down in Walasi-yi Gap...That fixes that!!

Graywolf

Daydream Believer
04-29-2010, 20:26
I can tell you that the second day from Hawk Mtn Shelter to Gooch Shelter or Gooch Gap is pretty much just steep ups and downs the first couple of miles...seriously tiring for an out of shape hiker (like us). We made it from Gooch Gap to Woods Hole Shelter on our second trip fairly easily...overnighted there and then went the rest of the way to Neel's Gap the next morning.

David@whiteblaze
04-29-2010, 20:34
And all this time I thought it was The First Place with Ice Cream Gap.
Hahahahaha, we shoud put in a petition for renaming as above... :D

The Cherokee Indians named it Walasi-Yi long before Mr. Neel helped build the road through the gap..Therefore, all of you are wrong, including the Feds, etc..It Is Walas-Yi, the Land of the forgs and my people will always remember it as such....rib-bit!!!;)

But fering it as Neel Gap is in correct english anyway, when you come down from Blood Mountain you more likely want to Kneel down, so I propose to call it Kneel Down in Walasi-yi Gap...That fixes that!!

Graywolf
What's a forg?

daddytwosticks
04-30-2010, 08:26
Woody('s) Gap = Woodrow(s) Gap? :)

Skyline
04-30-2010, 09:15
From FS 42: "Average" hikers get to Neel(s) Gap in 3.5 days. Add a day if you want the Approach Trail. Add 1.5 more days to get to Unicoi Gap.

SerenitySeeker
04-30-2010, 09:35
I am curious just what is the approach trail and is it worth the extra 9 miles, is it included in the overall thru hike to be considered a complete hike? I was thinking this might be a good first timer section hike for me in september.

scope
04-30-2010, 10:00
The approach trail is just that, a trail that leads to THE trail, so its not anything official. That said, it does have that nice archway for pics at the beginning. That certainly looks more like the official start of the AT than does Springer, but then I guess Katahdin doesn't have an archway either. Its just hiking in the mountains like the rest of the trail is. I personally consider it my least favorite section in GA. Like all of GA, its up and down but trends upward to Springer. Its consistently up enough to be a bear the first time you're out with a heavy pack. If doing a section for a limited number of days, like the OP, then I'd rather hike miles after Neel Gap than do the Approach Trail.

Neel Gap = First chance to chug Coke Gap

Graywolf
04-30-2010, 10:12
Hahahahaha, we shoud put in a petition for renaming as above... :D

What's a forg?

Well, someones paying attention..Its "frog" just typing too fast..opps

cavediver256
04-30-2010, 10:57
Hogpen Gap (but I think the road is closed?) and Unicoi Gap (which is a major road with easy shuttle.)

Big Cranky, I was up at Hogpen and Tesnatee Gap area yesterday.....do ya know why the road is closed??? I parked at the overlook just below Hogpen walked up and over to Tesnatee Gap....then picked up the AT (cause that is where my last hike ended)

The road is only closed between Tesnatee and Hogpen, but I couldn't see any reason for it to be closed.....even saw a couple of cars and motorcycles just drive right by the sign and continue through the area.....

max patch
04-30-2010, 13:19
Big Cranky, I was up at Hogpen and Tesnatee Gap area yesterday.....do ya know why the road is closed??? I parked at the overlook just below Hogpen walked up and over to Tesnatee Gap....then picked up the AT (cause that is where my last hike ended)

The road is only closed between Tesnatee and Hogpen, but I couldn't see any reason for it to be closed.....even saw a couple of cars and motorcycles just drive right by the sign and continue through the area.....

Winter storm damage. Originally 7 miles of the road was closed; now just the short section you mentioned is closed. Repairs should be done mid-May.

cavediver256
04-30-2010, 13:21
Thanks max !!!!